Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 7:42pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

so, um, i'm losing weight... now what?

just curious here what are things i should concentrate now. my target weight is 185lbs, i'm currently at 192lbs (at 6'0"), which i have dropped all the way down from 245lbs i had at the end of 2008.

currently, i'm on the 4 hour work week slow carb diet. basically, no carbs at all (except right after training), no sugar, drink a lot of water and eat a lot of protein. 1 cheat day a week (ahh, holy sabbath). it's worked out damn well for me, i've dropped somewhere near 5lbs a week, sometimes more, depending how much i train.

so, ok, once i reach 185lbs, i don't think i'll be completely happy with it yet. i believe i still won't have the desired ratio of fat to muscle. should i just keep going to allow for a buffer region, and then start building muscle, can i do both at once? muscle is supposed to weigh more than fat, if i recall correctly, so i'll have to drop quite a few more fat pounds to make room for the muscle? i have never voluntarily lost weight before, so this is all new territory for me.

muscle building is a region specific thing, right? it's not like fatloss, where i stick to a regimen, and exercise, and i will lose weight. specific exercises will target specific areas obviously, so i need to get a routine going to go for desired results, right?

my current guess at what needs most work would be my upper body strength. from not being able to do 20 pushups without dieing, to 200 that i can do now, i do feel better, but nowhere near satisfied. chest, arms and back are my concern atm. i'm currently a pathetic **** at pullups.

what i do atm: i'm only training about twice a week, BJJ (or MMA sometimes). normally consists of running, pushups, and a bunch of other pesky exercises that our instructors try to murder us with. then technique for about half an hour, then sparring/rolling.

when i make it to kickboxing (currently have transport issues), i train an extra 3x a week, and this class has intensive cardio and a lot more reps than the exercises at BJJ. we'll do anywhere between 100-500 squats depending on what else our instructors have planned for us.

so, please guide this fitness n00b to texts on muscle building (theory i should know and **** like that), what kind of a diet i should take up for it, and if you could find it in the goodness of your hearts to provide some routines, i'll dedicate my last 5 pounds i lose to you.

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 10:25pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would highly recommend you pick up "Starting Strength", and do some google searching for "Westside Athlete Weight Lifting".

It isn't as daunting as it sounds. You'll do some compound lifts once or twice a week, get super sore, and see MASSIVE results in a short amount of time because you're a lifting noob.

Emevas and El Macho can provide further support...

...but whatever you do, do not say "FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH".
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    Helio was submitted by Kimura

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 12:33am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thank you kind sir.

oh, and i have checked out the stickies. i am just unsure what my next step is, so i'm looking for guidance

edit: plus, all this "DON'T DO CARDIO" stuff is confusing, specially since my number one interest is martial arts.
    Last edited by ronaldk; 7/22/2008 1:18am at .