Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 9:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Miracleman
    I think there are actually some Muay Thai schools that denote rank by using colored armbands...
    I habeeb you am refering to Americanized schools or how in Thailand trainers/gym owners that have very good ability to produce fighters het some type of rank. Like how many champs, weight class's, etc... I'm pretty sure though that authentic Thai schools don't give belts (not to say the ones that do suck, I've just never actually seen one).

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    I'm a purple belt in muay thai. No ****.
    Purple belt is acceptable. So is gold belt. Sometimes rainbow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 9:24pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heaps of gyms in Australia use ranking systems for Muay Thai, including — as far as I know — JWP's gym and the gym Soren trains out of. It's not my personal preference for training, but it definitely doesn't necessarily = McDojo (McGym? Burger Gym? Whatever). Obviously most don't use belts — usually coloured singlets, prajiets, hand-wraps, badges or whatever — but same diff.

As was mentioned, Contender Asia has been playing in Aus in primetime on one of the most popular cable stations, and it hasn't made a heap of difference to the local scene — possibly some more newcomers, but that's about it.

Given there's only one American on the show and he's not one of the stronger competitors (and he cries a lot, from memory), I can't see it having a TUF-esque impact in the States.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 9:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    P.S. Ming, your student is HAWT!
    she's not my student, she's my training sister (we both learned from the same teacher.)

i was her primary trainer for her last fight though.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345