Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 12:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujutsu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Broken Toe?

OK...I'm not crying or saying my puss hurts, but I think I broke/sprained/dislocated my smallest toe at Judo-Jits tonight. I'm just looking for advice from experienced toe mashers. I'm likely just going to tape it to my other toe and go to practice again tomorrow. Anyone know any other tactics?

Thanks,

Toeless in Seattle

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 2:08am

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See a doctor, if it heals funny it's going to hurt you until you get it fixed.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 5:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is precisely what happened recently to one of our 1st Dans - incredibly, during the Warm-Up. He turned his foot over or turned the smallest toe. We thought it might have just 'popped out' and I asked the Gym Instructor if he could pop it back in again. He said only if it had happened before otherwise he wouldn't risk it.

Our chap went to the local Accident and Emergency and he explained what had happened - but he'd rather he had a bloods and guts tale to tell rather than the prosaic truth - however he told the sorry truth. The Doctor was sceptical and said he doubted that it was broken but he'd arrange an X-Ray. Afterwards, he returned to say that he was wrong and that the toe was broken...

Painkillers, rest and strapping the little toe to its neighbour is the solution and take it carefully for 6-8 weeks.

Hope it helps.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 12:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujutsu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK..so I went to the ER today and the X-Ray showed a very nice diagonal break through the large bone in my toe. Doc said 6-8 weeks, but I'll likely give it a week or 2 off and start slow after that. Feels pretty good "buddy taped" to the next largest toe.

Thanks for the replies,

B
    Last edited by seatown7; 7/22/2008 1:21pm at .

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 5:08am

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seatown7
    OK..so I went to the ER today and the X-Ray showed a very nice diagonal break through the large bone in my toe. Doc said 6-8 weeks, but I'll likely give it a week or 2 off and start slow after that. Feels pretty good "buddy taped" to the next largest toe.

Thanks for the resplies,

B
    6-8 weeks =/= 2 weeks

Take the full recovery time...I'm sure you've heard this before, "there's a fine line between hard and stupid."
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 11:33am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I broke the one next to my big toe about 4 weeks ago and decided to continue training. It looked pretty gnarly for about a week, and the bottom of my foot was numb for about two weeks. I have found that (during randori) it is easy to forget that it is hurt and stub it on something, I wouldn't be surprised if this sets the healing process back. Taping it up helps, some. At this point it feels pretty good, I'd say about 80%.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i did the same thing a year or so ago. didn't go to the doc, buddy taped it for a few weeks and it seemed to heal.

it's no longer straight, and is a bit bigger than it used to be and has an odd shape, but seems to function normally.

the only bummer is that my shoe doesn't fit as well as it used to.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj