Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2008 5:49pm

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Another Sparring Video (Probably more later)

Well, I haven't been sparring too much at all recently, but I've really been trying to get back into it because I know I'm getting rusty. I remember seeing a couple threads where people posted up themselves sparring or doing bag work and I suppose it's time for me to do the same and face the critiques that I need to become a better fighter.

That being said, here's the video:

YouTube - Light Sparring Video 1

About the video: We're just going light. I'm the one with the black gloves. My friend just began training recently, so don't be too harsh on him. I was taking it easy, so was he. We were just doing straight boxing. My friend hasn't really learned how to do kicks with efficiency yet.

I tried to block with my forehead at one point because I remember seeing it in one of Omega's videos... I suppose it wasn't the best idea to just randomly do that. XD

Anyways, critique me please! I already realize I'm not really too great, but that's why you guys will help me, right?

Thanks in advance for your productive comments.

PS: Shitty camera phone, will get that fixed at one point or another.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/20/2008 6:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    your stance looked good. your shots show that you have for the most part pretty good punching technique. you were far too stiff though.

at a later point in the video you were bouncing a bit but your upper body remained stiff. i suffer from the same thing sometimes its just a bad habit but it wastes energy and slows you down. try breathing deeper and slower, it can be difficult to relax without letting the hands drop but its gotta be done.

also, something that you could have done more of, although because of your friend's inexperience wasn't entirely necessary, was include more head movement, you were ducking quite well but lateral movement such as slipping punches could put you in a position to be close and land some dirty great body shots. of course in this situation you wouldn't want to actually hurt your friend, but body shots are nontheless useful, and against fighters with good head movement sometimes you can't land much else.

of course that is just from a boxing point of view. your style field says CMA, do you train in san shou at all?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2008 6:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Used to.

I train at a Kung Fu place now -- I'm not the best example of what they do, but they've improved my game tremendously.

Right now we're doing weapons training, but I can always get my teachers to spar with me after and give me extra tips.

We do kickboxing, they all do BJJ or Judo so we have mats for grappling as well. We're going to be getting better mats soon so that we can spar with more elements like the takedown.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/20/2008 7:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good stuff, any chance of a vid with kicks also being used? i know your friend hadn't learned them yet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2008 7:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not at the moment; I'll try to get one up at some point. I actually like my kicking more than my boxing, but I have an overreliance on my left leg (I'm southpaw, though I'm sure everyone who watches the video will probably notice). I'm working on fixing up my right leg so it isn't completely useless when I kickbox atm.

And of course, assuming I get good advice, I'll continue uploading videos anyways so that I can continue to improve. It's always nice to have experienced people looking for your weak points when your actual teachers aren't around.

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 12:26pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you do pure boxing, wait for their jab and slip to the outside for a right hook to the head. I absolutely hate it when people do this to me (am a lefty).

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 12:33pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you always take it easy like this, or do you ever spar with more power? You'll need to, if you wanna work on proper distancing and get ready for the pace of a real fight.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 1:22pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok – Some thoughts:

Footwork:

Sometimes you were crossing your feet and sometimes you were changing up your lead (for no apparent reason and when you were in punching range).

It also looked like you weren’t pushing off the opposite foot when you wanted to move but just stepping with the foot and dragging the other foot.

Hard to stay in balance when doing any of the above.

Defense:

A couple of times you reached out to stop the punches with your gloves – could be dangerous.

Sometimes when you were throwing strikes you were dropping the other hand that was against your face.

Strikes:

When you threw your cross you kept your jaw protected with your shoulder but sometimes on your jab your shoulder was down and your jaw was open.

On your cross you need to square up your hips. A few times you would throw the jab but then leave the back hip back as you would throw the cross (which makes it so it won’t reach the target or have power).

For the cross I would not make it a habit of throwing it by itself but if you do step off first (almost like you were throwing a jab) and then throw the cross. The same for the uppercut.

I also wouldn't make it a habit of starting a combination with a cross, uppercut or hook (in general). <edited this after the fact since I had the word jab when I meant to type uppercut - I would often start a combination with a jab!!!>

Try not to end your combinations with a hook (or an uppercut) – I would always try and follow up with a straight shot.

Your training partner:

Needs a lot of work – no offense but he is way to upright, his shoulders are way to low, his gloves hang out in front of his face, he doesn’t stay squared to you, his stance is often changing, etc…. <edit - I see now this guy is a complete beginner - sorry>

Camera Work:

What’s up with the sideways camera angle? :) <edit - I see now this was done on a camera phone - still not sure why he turned it sideways for part of the match>
    Last edited by Student; 8/13/2008 9:28am at .

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 1:30pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Student

I also wouldn't make it a habit of starting a combination with a cross, jab or hook (in general).
    Why not?
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 1:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    Why not?
    I'm thinking more from a beginners point of view - just not the safest punches to lead with. All rules are meant to be broken at some point.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast