Style
    Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I've been in the martial arts for about 15 years now
    -3rd Degree Black Kenpo
    -2nd Dan WTF TKD
    -Red Belt Hapkido
    And, I've just taken my first BJJ class recently (because I don't know jack about ground fighting).

In all honesty (probably to no surprise to most of the folks on here) I found the level of training between BJJ and the other martial arts that I've trained in to be remarkably different.

I look forward to reading through here, I'm sure I'll learn a lot.

GhostOfKimura
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So St3rn, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo.

Style
    BJJ
    Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido!

Quote Originally Posted by St3rn
    And, I've just taken my first BJJ class recently (because I don't know jack about ground fighting).

In all honesty (probably to no surprise to most of the folks on here) I found the level of training between BJJ and the other martial arts that I've trained in to be remarkably different.
    Welcome to Bullshido!

I recently started writing a BJJ Beginner FAQ on my blog, which should hopefully answer some of your questions as a new BJJ student.

As I mention in that FAQ, I'd recommend the following threads:

Training, Stagnation and Tapping
    Maximizing what you get out of rolling
    Protecting Yourself During Sparring
    Grappling Basic Principles
    Advice for Noobs
    First Day Lesson
    Fundamental 5
    Obvious Epiphanies

And the following articles:

Starting BJJ Classes
    Nuggets of Advice

Style
    Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thanks

Thank you slideyfoot. I have one quick question:
    After rolling for the first time the other day, I felt a bit of nausea and a splitting headache which lasted for about 2 hours. I'm not sure if it was what I had eaten before hand (early class, ate 2 hours before) or simply not being used to being stacked, crunching my knees against my stomach, etc. Do you have any insight, advice that might be helpful?

Style
    BJJ
    Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After rolling for the first time the other day, I felt a bit of nausea and a splitting headache which lasted for about 2 hours. I'm not sure if it was what I had eaten before hand (early class, ate 2 hours before) or simply not being used to being stacked, crunching my knees against my stomach, etc. Do you have any insight, advice that might be helpful?
    I'm not a doctor, but I suppose the immediate question would be have you ever had severe headaches like that before? If not, then it might be worth checking with a medical professional in case its indicative of anything more serious. Always worth doing just for peace of mind.

As to the nausea, my first thought would be either eating too much shortly before the lesson, or not enough, but 2 hours is the same gap I normally leave between training and eating. I have felt nausea in training before, but that was because I ate a crapload of bacon that morning (free sandwiches at a business meeting...dangerous), which was definitely a bad idea. :icon_wink

Style
    Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been in the martial arts for about 15 years now
    -3rd Degree Black Kenpo
    -2nd Dan WTF TKD
    -Red Belt Hapkido

I look forward to reading through here, I'm sure I'll learn a lot.
    Hay St3rn, welcome to bullshido.

I'm surprised that you didn't / haven't done any grappling in hapkido? Any hapkido instructor I have ever trained with has had some kind of grappling (some good some bad, but it was still their)... or maybe my training was just weird :qcheerlea -- guess I might have to hit up the style forums...

What did your hapkido training consist of?

...or are you just saying that compared to bjj you don't know any thing about the ground, even though you may have learned some ground kind of things?

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like dehydration.

Style
    Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight
    Hay St3rn, welcome to bullshido.

I'm surprised that you didn't / haven't done any grappling in hapkido? Any hapkido instructor I have ever trained with has had some kind of grappling (some good some bad, but it was still their)... or maybe my training was just weird :qcheerlea -- guess I might have to hit up the style forums...

What did your hapkido training consist of?

...or are you just saying that compared to bjj you don't know any thing about the ground, even though you may have learned some ground kind of things?
    We did some (not much at all). I learned a lot of basics like armbar from standing, some ground escapes. Our focus was mostly on striking, and joint locking.

Maybe I should have clarified, sorry.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76
    Sounds like dehydration.
    Aye, my first thought.

Welcome to Bullshido btw.

Style
    Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76
    Sounds like dehydration.
    Thank you for your insight, the next time I train I'll drink more water pre-workout and stay more conscious about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last