Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

good schools in montreal and possibly stupid question

Hello everyone out there. I have no martial arts experience. I am interested in beginning a martial art. I am looking for a good BJJ school in montreal, QC and or a muay thai school since from reading up around here these two seem to be considered very effective fighting arts. ill be honest in my whole life (im 26) ive never been in a street fight the only times that the possibility arose i was able to talk the situation out. So im not really looking for some crazy self defense for the streets just a good solid fighting style to train in for my own personal fullfillment. in your opinions should i go to Muay Thai or Bjj or both, and any school recommendations in the area. I have checked out two schools that i will leave anonymous to see if they come up as any of your recommendations. And one final potentially stupid question. What is the difference between Gracie jiujitsu and Brazilian jiujitsu? from what i have found on the web it seems like just a copyright issue am i far off?

TKDBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, cryptotron. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

Style
    BJJ, judo, rapier
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptotron
    What is the difference between Gracie jiujitsu and Brazilian jiujitsu? from what i have found on the web it seems like just a copyright issue am i far off?
    This was recently discussed at length, here.

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks i should have searched the forums a little better

Style
    BJJ
    Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptotron
    Hello everyone out there. I have no martial arts experience.
    In that case, you might benefit from my BJJ Beginner FAQ.

On general martial arts:

First of all, I'd recommend you take a look at the FAQ on finding a good martial arts school. In general, signs to look for are a competitive record, regular heavy contact sparring and 'aliveness' (if you're unfamiliar with the term, Matt Thornton has a long article on the topic describing what it is and why it's important: he is the man most associated with popularising the concept).

If your interest is mainly in striking, the safest option if you want decent training is muay thai (which you'll also see as 'thai boxing'), along with martial arts like boxing and kyokushin karate. That's not to say there aren't good schools within other striking styles, but they tend to vary widely in quality.

If you're more interested in grappling, then BJJ would be an excellent choice, as the strong competitive element and ability-based ranking system generally results in high quality training. A cheaper option is judo, which is also much easier to find - the two styles are closely related, the main difference being that judo normally focuses on throws whereas BJJ is mostly about the ground. For more on judo, read the Bullshido.com article - there is also an article on BJJ. SAMBO is another good choice, but even harder to find than BJJ. Then there's wrestling, which is also great training for grappling.

Alternately, you could combine grappling and striking by cross-training in several arts, or at an MMA gym (though technically 'MMA' is a ruleset rather than a specific style). Examples of well known MMA gyms would be Team Quest and Miletich Fighting Systems.

Finally, you could try having a look through the dojo reviews section, which might yield something more specific to your area. Alternately, you could try a Google site search, either off the Google toolbar, or by typing "site:www.bullshido.net" followed by the area.

There are also several school databases you could try. For example, for BJJ:

TrainJiuJitsu.com
    bjjMap.com
    Gym Database (BJJ, MMA etc)

And one final potentially stupid question. What is the difference between Gracie jiujitsu and Brazilian jiujitsu? from what i have found on the web it seems like just a copyright issue am i far off?
    To c&p from the aforementioned FAQ:

Mostly marketing. Rorion Gracie trademarked the name 'Gracie Jiu Jitsu' in 1989, having begun teaching in the United States during the late seventies. This would result in litigation against other members of his family teaching the sport. Carley Gracie in particular got into a legal tangle: you can read the proceedings here. The end result is that people started using different names, like Carlson Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Renzo Gracie Jiu Jitsu, and most commonly, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. In Brazil, its just referred to as 'jiu jitsu'.

There have also been claims, again mostly from Rorion and the Gracie Academy, that Gracie Jiu Jitsu is self-defence, whereas Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is just a sport. I've never trained at the Gracie Academy, so I can't comment on that specifically. My response to the general question of sport versus self-defence is here.

However, you could have a read of Yrkoon9's post for one opinion on GJJ versus BJJ. For another, take a look at this EFN thread. Rob T's story of how he used BJJ in a self-defence situation is also worth a read.

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks slideyfoot a lot of good information. greatly appreciated.

Style
    Judo Sandbagger
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi cryptotron,

Welcome.

Depending on where you live in Montreal, Do not rule out Sambo.

http://www.clubkozak.com/ is in Verdun.

I seriously recommend taking in a free or $10-20 lesson at a varity of BJJ schools, and see what the vibe is like with the Instructors and students.

Keep us posted on your search.