Page 14 of 17 First ... 41011121314151617 Last
  1. #131
    Kentucky Fried Chokin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,450
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    Silva in Pride is not nearly the same Silva as in the UFC though. Since coming to the UFC he has looked invincible. Period. A single bad round out of 7 UFC fights, where he wasn't in danger of being put away.
    No sorry, but he is the same person. He looks like a whole 'nother fighter because he's so much better now, but he is the same person.

    Now, Fedor's achievements top Silva's right now because he's been the best for so long, so he's the GOAT right now. But in terms of how they've looked and performed, Silva recently has looked invincible in a way Fedor hasn't.
    The same could be said of other fighters that were once at the top of their divisions like Hughes and Liddell (and they did it in tougher divisions).

  2. #132
    theotherserge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North of San Francisco
    Posts
    4,458
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    recently I'll totally agree with you. I've been wanting a "real" fight out of Fedor for a long time. Hong Man Choi, Zuluhino etc. never did it for me.

    All the while, Silva became the second coming and he's been staggeringly badass ever since. Like what did he do? Buy "The Perfect Pushup"?

  3. #133
    Kentucky Fried Chokin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,450
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How come Fedor gets so much **** for beating up Long Dong Chong, but when Silva kicks the living **** out of Chris Leben it's promo-worthy material? At least Fedor was hugely outsized.

  4. #134
    G-Off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    2,329
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    No sorry, but he is the same person. He looks like a whole 'nother fighter because he's so much better now, but he is the same person.
    I meant as a fighter. I don't see the significance of that distinction.

    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    The same could be said of other fighters that were once at the top of their divisions like Hughes and Liddell (and they did it in tougher divisions).
    Liddell, I don't buy. He never looked invincible. Vernon White for god's sakes stood and traded with him pretty well until the KO. Hughes is a bit better...but he still had his Trigg moment. It's really just, literally how he's looked and performed in his fights. Outstriking opponents 70% to 35%. Having an average of 89 TPR from Fightmetric. Things that not even Fedor has done.

  5. #135
    G-Off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    2,329
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    All the while, Silva became the second coming and he's been staggeringly badass ever since. Like what did he do? Buy "The Perfect Pushup"?
    Good question...I'd like to know myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    How come Fedor gets so much **** for beating up Long Dong Chong, but when Silva kicks the living **** out of Chris Leben it's promo-worthy material? At least Fedor was hugely outsized.
    HMC wasn't known for his sub defense. Fedor subbed him. Leben was known for his chin (and had never been KO'ed before). Silva KO'ed him big time. Plus, Silva was not considered "elite" when he came to the UFC. Fedor was still ranked #1 Heavyweight when he decided to take on a giant can.

  6. #136
    Kentucky Fried Chokin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,450
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    I meant as a fighter. I don't see the significance of that distinction.
    I see what you mean. [blatent ntridding]That's just because Fedor was always awesome![/blatent nutridding]


    Liddell, I don't buy. He never looked invincible. Vernon White for god's sakes stood and traded with him pretty well until the KO. Hughes is a bit better...but he still had his Trigg moment. It's really just, literally how he's looked and performed in his fights. Outstriking opponents 70% to 35%. Having an average of 89 TPR from Fightmetric. Things that not even Fedor has done.
    Vernon White? He got destroyed by Liddell. The only thing impressive about him was his ability to take a punch. I always though Hughes RNC escape, reversal and RNC win against Trigg was really impresive. I remember Silva getting mounted and almost armbarred by Lutter. Silva has outstruke opponents like Hughes has outwrestled them.

  7. #137
    Kentucky Fried Chokin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,450
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    HMC wasn't known for his sub defense. Fedor subbed him. Leben was known for his chin (and had never been KO'ed before).
    HMC wasn't know for anything. He just plain wasn't known. I see your point about Leben though. Also, no one has kneed him in the face since either.

    Silva KO'ed him big time. Plus, Silva was not considered "elite" when he came to the UFC. Fedor was still ranked #1 Heavyweight when he decided to take on a giant can.
    I have to disagree with you there. Silva was marketed as one of the best strikers in the world and was given the fast track to the title shot. Leben is hardly the gatekeeper to the middleweight title, but it was his only fight before getting a title shot.

  8. #138
    G-Off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    2,329
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    Vernon White? He got destroyed by Liddell. The only thing impressive about him was his ability to take a punch. I always though Hughes RNC escape, reversal and RNC win against Trigg was really impresive. I remember Silva getting mounted and almost armbarred by Lutter. Silva has outstruke opponents like Hughes has outwrestled them.
    Lutter did have him mounted and tried for the armbar, true. It's not quite the same as Hughes (Frank had that choke deep), but it is more similar I'd remembered before thinking about it. Liddell I still don't buy. Most of his "invincibility" was marketing. He won and won convincingly, but he got hit a good amount and relied on his chin to keep him in the fight, and was fed mostly wrestlers/ground specialists like Ortiz, Randy and Babalu.

    I guess I just can't get past the images of how easily and completely he destroyed Leben, Franklin (2x), Hendo (in the 2nd round).

  9. #139
    Kentucky Fried Chokin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,450
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know. I saw those fights and too, and undoubtedly they were bleeding from their asses the next day because Silva raped them, but Couture > Hendo and Tito > Franklin.

    I think we're really going to see Silva shine now that's he's got some better competition to face in the LHW division.

  10. #140
    G-Off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    2,329
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    I know. I saw those fights and too, and undoubtedly they were bleeding from their asses the next day because Silva raped them, but Couture > Hendo and Tito > Franklin.

    I think we're really going to see Silva shine now that's he's got some better competition to face in the LHW division.
    Cool. I'll agree with that (though I think Franklin is better than Tito, just because he's more well-rounded). I hope they give him a top LHW next, I'm convinced he can beat almost anyone in that division. I just want to see him prove it.

Page 14 of 17 First ... 41011121314151617 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO