Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 5:47pm

Style: JKD, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Careful with Wolff's Law - if you want to take advantage of it, find some way to get smooth, steady tension on the bones from adjacent muscles (I don't know anything that taxes the intercostals offhand, but lots of core movements must connect to your ribcage somewhere), rather than high-impulse impacts. A few too many shots with a medicine ball and changes in bone density will give way to stress fractures.
    So basically a medicine ball wouldn't be the best way to "learn" to take direct blows to the stomach, because if you continue it, it can cause fractures over time?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 6:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't seen any convincing reasoning for getting hit in the gut by a medicine ball, but fractures shouldn't be a concern. There's the ribcage at the top, the pelvis at the bottom, and the spine at the back, but there aren't any bones where a medicine ball would hit the stomach - ergo, no bones to fracture*.

I was meaning more in terms of getting hit in the ribs with a medicine ball. Call me a wimp, coward, or pessimist, but I think the risk to reward ratio of that is leaning heavily towards risk.

* Unless the guy throwing the ball has bad aim. I screwed up catching one once and broke my workout partner's nose. True story.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 6:08pm

Style: JKD, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My main issue, and this thread kind of helps so I didn't wanna start. I suck at taking body shots, plain and simple. I am new to it, but still its always been an issue Crunches/ab exercises is nothing to me, I actually *have* a fairly strong midsection. I was more looking on how to accept punches directly to the abs and not immediately get the wind knocked out. Even when I tense my abs it still kind of does that, and yeah, wondering what would happen if an 8 lb ball hit my abs a few times.

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 4:26am

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the fat thing don't help. I got a big ol' gut and my first MMA fight I got my ribs cracked good. I kata guruma'ed my 300 lbs. buddy tonight and I think I popped a rib out. Ugh.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12