Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2008 7:55am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

exercises for rib protection?

Does anyone know of any kind of specific conditioning that would help protect against direct shots to the rib cage (especially toward the side)?

Im not talking about fighting techniques (elbows tucked, etc) .

Weighted twists on the decline and pullovers come to mind, but how much good can they really do for an area largely unprotected by anything other than skin?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/19/2008 9:01am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing that I could think off (take that with a grain of salt since I'm no striker - maybe there is stuff like that, but I dunno.)

From an anatomical point of view, for all practical purposes, there is almost no meat on the outside of the ribs, just fascia and skin (and the thin serratus anterior.) You could work your obliques, but they are below the rib cage (between them and the hips.)

The thing that keeps ribs in place is a strong core, so you may want to look into that. But even then, ribs can get separated by a blow, or even by sudden movements or impacts to the whole body (not necessarily at the rib cage, but which cause the torso to twist.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    7/19/2008 11:04am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a striker, and no- not really. Nothing specific anyways. Like macho said, the best you can do is work your whole core and practice on turning your body to absorb blows with yours abs instead if need be. Spar alot, and learn to keep elbows tucked.

There are some fighters who say that more fat helps, and it probably does to a certain extent, but I for one don't want to get fat enough to find out. I've cracked he ribs of big guys anyways, so I don't think it really helps much.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2008 1:18pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the response.

What about taking advantage of Wolff's Law. I train with heavy weights so I know I am getting some overall benefits there. But what might be some good and safe to take advantage of Wolff's Law specifically regarding the rib cage? Dropping a medicine ball repeatedly on the gut something like that? .... just kind of thinking out loud here ...

Posted On:
    7/19/2008 2:38pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would think you could toughen it in terms of pain threshold, but the damage would still be there. In other words, you might train and condition yourself to fight through a cracked rib, but that would probably come as an aspect of being superbly conditioned, and mentally tough. I think your idea of dong the medicine ball is a good place to start, BTW. I hardly see anyone doing that in my boxing gym anymore. Another thing you can do, if you and when you can't find a willing partner is to swing a heavy bag and let it lend against your gut. This way, you control the swing, not some macho dickhead.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 10:05pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do the ribs calcify like the shins do?

in that case, i guess getting hit a lot...?

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 10:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sambo,Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Besides general strength training the only way to protect the ribs is to learn how to receive shots properly. My expirience is that kiokushin and thai boxing is the best regarding taking body shots.As stated before, there is nothing on the ribs to cover them. Heavy deadlifts can get you some additional meat there, but the best way is to learn how to receive it.

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 11:51pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found this website - http://expertboxing.com/ and it has some nice articles about how to take punches and also overcoming the flinch reflex. Hopefully you find something useful.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 9:23pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure the ribs are there to protect the organs inside of them. I recommend definitely keeping your ribs.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 1:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Careful with Wolff's Law - if you want to take advantage of it, find some way to get smooth, steady tension on the bones from adjacent muscles (I don't know anything that taxes the intercostals offhand, but lots of core movements must connect to your ribcage somewhere), rather than high-impulse impacts. A few too many shots with a medicine ball and changes in bone density will give way to stress fractures.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast