Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    None Yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lurking no more.

Finally decided to make a post here... been reading this for years, then I finally joined, and still didn't post. :tongue4: Found this place eons ago... and I remember how I stumbled upon it... I happened to be curious of the exploits of Frank Dux, having watched Bloodsport and being intrigued. (please don't kill me, lol.) Thankfully, I happened upon one of the legendary threads, and began educating myself.

I don't currently have a MA background, I am currently looking for a place around my area to join. I've always been intrigued by martial arts, but never managed to get into it properly. I hail from the Western New York area. Big guy (6'5, 335) trying to get down to 250ish, and get into some proper training to get and stay in shape for the child I have on the way. I'm not looking to be t3h d34d1y, I'm looking to increase my strength, endurance, and overall health while learning proper self-defense.

With the exception of a long and wordy introduction, I'm going to try to avoid any stupidity in posting. I have an immense respect for what this site accomplishes, and I've been reading long enough to know what to expect now that I've finally decided to start posting. I finally decided to post the other day when I went to the classic thread section and actually went through the ENTIRE Tiger Klay / Ghey / etc. thread, all 4000+ posts of it.

Having said that, hello to all at Bullshido. Hope I'll be around here a while.

:: Edit - not planning on a martial art /in place of/ working out, just wanted to state that.
    Last edited by Blackmoore; 7/19/2008 12:18am at .

KungFuBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, Blackmoore, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saying hello as well.

Style
    None Yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, hello! someone said hi. Cool stuff. Greetings back :happy:

Style
    BJJ
    Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmoore
    I don't currently have a MA background, I am currently looking for a place around my area to join.
    First of all, I'd recommend you take a look at the FAQ on finding a good martial arts school. In general, signs to look for are a competitive record, regular heavy contact sparring and 'aliveness' (if you're unfamiliar with the term, Matt Thornton has a long article on the topic describing what it is and why it's important: he is the man most associated with popularising the concept).

If your interest is mainly in striking, the safest option if you want decent training is muay thai (which you'll also see as 'thai boxing'), along with martial arts like boxing and kyokushin karate. That's not to say there aren't good schools within other striking styles, but they tend to vary widely in quality.

If you're more interested in grappling, then BJJ would be an excellent choice, as the strong competitive element and ability-based ranking system generally results in high quality training. A cheaper option is judo, which is also much easier to find - the two styles are closely related, the main difference being that judo normally focuses on throws whereas BJJ is mostly about the ground. For more on judo, read the Bullshido.com article - there is also an article on BJJ. SAMBO is another good choice, but even harder to find than BJJ. Then there's wrestling, which is also great training for grappling.

Alternately, you could combine grappling and striking by cross-training in several arts, or at an MMA gym (though technically 'MMA' is a ruleset rather than a specific style). Examples of well known MMA gyms would be Team Quest and Miletich Fighting Systems.

Finally, you could try having a look through the dojo reviews section, which might yield something more specific to your area. Alternately, you could try a Google site search, either off the Google toolbar, or by typing "site:www.bullshido.net" followed by the area.

There are also several school databases you could try. For example, for BJJ:

TrainJiuJitsu.com
    bjjMap.com
    Gym Database (BJJ, MMA etc)

Style
    Bazhengdao Quan, Bajiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Blackmoore, good to see more Buffalo people on the site. What type of training are you looking to get into?

Style
    None Yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ has been the most likely candidate, Muay Thai a close second, would love to crosstrain when I have money to do both. Aliveness will most definitely be a factor, I'm not looking to join any Dillman-esque acting school.

Would love to have a proper background, thinking of joining local town police here eventually (I used to work for the county, but they're horrible to work for.) I appreciate the assistance / input.

Style
    BJJ
    Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmoore
    BJJ has been the most likely candidate [...] I appreciate the assistance / input.
    If you need anything more on BJJ, you might find my BJJ Beginner FAQ useful.

As I mention in that FAQ, for further reading on BJJ, I'd recommend the following threads:

Training, Stagnation and Tapping
    Maximizing what you get out of rolling
    Protecting Yourself During Sparring
    Grappling Basic Principles
    Advice for Noobs
    First Day Lesson
    Fundamental 5
    Obvious Epiphanies

And the following articles:

Starting BJJ Classes
    Nuggets of Advice

Style
    Bazhengdao Quan, Bajiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only place I know of that does BJJ around here is WNYMMA in lockport. Seems like an alright place, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

Style
    None Yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard of them, just have no idea what their prices are like. Didn't seem to find anything price-wise on their web site, and a visit's gonna have to wait a bit. Getting married this week, so, too much stuff going on to check it out till things calm down a bit. Thanks a lot for the postings. Where do you attend, Scott? (asking because I know you're also in the same area, just looking to see what's there. According to your tag, you teach? Awesome. Fill me in best you can, or let me know and I can send you my email address (the one I use most frequently) if you'd rather not post about it.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last