Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: new 2

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't I just read in another thread that Masaaki Hatsumi endorses Judo for self-defense? So you have the world's most revered ninja master in favor of a combat sport for self defense. Thread over.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Style
    Confused variety
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hello atc_ridr,
    Im newish to bullshido too, How long have you been with genbukan?
    I have a friend who is an ex bujinkan member who trains with me occasionally.
    I believe he could certainly defend himself.
    It probably comes down to the individual rather than the "style"
    I dont think you will get satisfactory answers to your query.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thank you mike321,
    i know this is no bullshido, and realized that everyone is basically going to talk sh--. Thats why i asked this in newb town. I was curious and was hoping to get a serious opinionated answer instead of teens wanting to hear themselves talk.

1. i am curious to know what you moves have you seen that were unnatural? Like most traditional arts they do have some technics that i would never use and would never have a attack come at me that way. If everyone's opinion is from u tube, no wonder everyone believes it is bs.

2. As far as law, if you commit a crime and you get caught you go in the system. There will still be people trying to rob someone, a person get filled with rage and attempt to harm someone with a weapon, someone or people try to rape someone, etc etc etc. They don't care about the law. I haven't seen a real 1 on 1 fight since i was a child. And it only has escalated to worse.

Ninpo doesn't train you to get into fights, but try to notice an attack before it becomes one and to evade it and if all else fails then physically end it quick with as less harm as possible. (aikido very similar) Its technics doen't teach you to just punch kick or wrestle the person, it teaches you to immobilize an attacker with only the amount of force needed. It teaches with not only with one but multiple attackers and with multiple weapons.

As far as mma, i am not saying it is not a great self defence on the street b/c it is if you are one on one. But i don't see the usefulness with multiple attackers and weapons which is what i see on the streets, not 1 on 1 fist fights. Which i am not trying to prove mma to be neg at that aspect but that is what interests me.

Thankyou. I do believe that is a legitimate response and thank you mike for not just talking sh--. Like i said i just wanted to get a true opinionated answer that wasn't just b/s.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cuatro
    Judo is a combat sport, it is a Single art that involves multiple attackers and weapons training. Explain what your post has to do with this thread???????????????
    HUH......must be in a wrong thread.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    over the hill,
    I agree whole heartedly it comes down to the individual not the style. You are probably right though. i just wanted a mature answer. Mike was the only one so far.

I am fairly new to genbukan, and i also have a friend who train in the bejinkan, he is the one who turned me on to ninpo.

Style
    Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me restate the question for you:

Do you have rules for when you train or do you simply go all out all the time?

If you use any rules while training to keep your partner safe, it doesn't matter if it is multiple opponents, weapons or anything... then you are doing exactly what you say is not affective: Practicing under a rule set to improve your skills.

If you are training vs multiple opponents and they are not just kicking the **** out of you, then you are not really preparing yourself for the "street", if they are holding back so you don't get hurt, then you are not practicing what you preach; because once their are rules then it becomes some kind of sport... LARPing sport maybe, but still.

I find your attempts at trolling to be amusing however, but very unoriginal. :new_popco

…and just for a fun note: How often do you practice? How many hours a week do you actually spend at the dojo working on your technique? If it’s really a way of life I would imagine it is a very significant amount of time.

...and some how I bet you still wont answer the questions.

newbie town, newbie town, newbie town… just making sure I remember where I am; unless this gets moved, I think I will move on... :sniperdan

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atc ridr
    MMA has rules and is a Sport. I am not saying it won't work on the street, because if it would work fantastically on a 1 on 1 fight. But multiple attackers i find it hard to defend yourself from 5 or even 2 guys on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by atc ridr
    cuatro
    Judo is a combat sport, it is a Single art that involves multiple attackers and weapons training. Explain what your post has to do with this thread???????????????
    HUH......must be in a wrong thread.

Why do most Anti-MMA people assume an MMA fighter or Grappler will default to ground fighting in a street fight? Then they play the "grappling doesn't work against multiple attackers" card as though the MMA fighter/Grappler has never been told not to go to te ground against multiple opponents. Let me assure you, most, if not all MMA/BJJ/Sub-wrestlers/Judokas know not to go to the ground in a multiple attacker scenario.

I think you were trying to say that Judo is not a combat sport, but made a typo? Judo is a combat sport, just like boxing and wrestling are combat sports. Judo is also a TMA. Like Kyokushin is a TMA. Judo has competitions, but for those not interested in competing that is fine.

There isn't really any Multiple Attacker training in Judo, unless you find a particular dojo that trains for such occasions. In Judo, one typically trains to get their grip and throw immediately, slamming their opponent/attacker on the ground hard enough to take them out. if not, ne-waza happens. If it's on the street against multiple attackers, a well-trained Judoka would keep grabbing and throwing until no one was attacking him any more. If tackled to the ground he'd have the skills to do damage and get back up quickly. If confronted with a weapon, he'd more than likely be screwed, but hopefully have the conditioning to sprint out of the area... evading the situation like a ninja.

The Hatsumi quote, below, was an example of a Ninja Master pointing out the usefulness of a combat sport in self defense situations. I'm not saying anything about Ninjitsu here, good or bad. Just that a revered Ninja master crosstrained in a sport and preaches its attributes for self defense.

"Since I was a child I have pursued any number of activities including soccer, judo, playing musical instruments, dancing, and many others. Such recreations have broadened my knowledge and honed my athleticism; vital elements to my Budo life. Indeed, the practice of judo has been of particular importance, as it is the essence of various Budo, and is very useful for self-defense. "

If Judo and grappling techniques weren't street worthy, you wouldn't have mandatory Judo training for all Japanese Police officers. You wouldn't find Judo/grappling techniques in Taiho Jutsu. Judo techniques wouldn't have been integrated into every major police and military hand-to-hand combat systems. You don't hear that about Ninjutsu.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lionknight
    To start with your personal questions. I train a little bit everyday as long as the time is there. I trying to make it the dojo no less then 4 nights a week if time prevails and 6 days if im lucky.

How does someone kicking the **** out of you prepare you for the street????

When you first start your partners do not go at you full force. As time moves on of course they do. And here we go again, i never said mma is not effective, but all it trains is for 1 on 1. Not multiple attackers or weapons. And i guess i should have reworded what i said about being attacked by multiple people and it ending on the ground against 2 -5. If that many people were to attack you and one of them sees you standing beating one of them up, it will end up on the ground.

I was looking for an answer , not repeated questions....... Try reading the tread before you begin with your questions

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not anti mma. I never said anything neg about judo. A school somewhat near me which i was interested in does train with multiple attackers and have weapon disarming technics. I also never said anything neg about mma. And yes i said correctly it is a combat sport. I don't know where you get your impressions that i am trying to talk negatively about mma and judo.
    In which i am still curious how judo came in this?

In mma you train one on one, no weapons, no more people just one on one, and you physically train hard no doubt about it. Then how do you react when a weapon is coming at you with more people around? You train to fight till the other one gives up in a ring ( but only one other person and no weapons).
    In ninpo we train with multiple people and multiple weapons. We don't kick and punch alot, we more throw our attackers around (like judo). Ninpo is alot like jujutsu(which judo came from)called taijutsu. My question which if i don't hear a serious answer tonight i am giving up waiting for a real reply. Why do mostly all mma think that ninpo is useless on the street when they only train for one on one fights. Please no children just serious adults.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last