Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/20/2008 10:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    when i'm holding pads i match their stance. i have considered doing some switchstance pad work with the most advanced people, but i never tried it.

when i see someone doing it in my class, it usually causes problems and i tell them to switch.
    Ming has teh korrekt then.

How is that girl doing? The small asian one that unloaded her fury at the last TD?

She was cute... and deadly.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/20/2008 6:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i take a more square stance when holding pads so it doesn't matter what handed they are. its only with kicks when holdin thai pads that i find stance matters because you have to pivot quickly so they can continue the combo

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/20/2008 9:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    Ming has teh korrekt then.

How is that girl doing? The small asian one that unloaded her fury at the last TD?

She was cute... and deadly.
    she's doing great. and no, i can't get you a date.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 9:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    she's doing great. and no, i can't get you a date.
    Maybe a sparring match next TD? And by sparring match I'm just gonna think "Hey, she's cute" while getting my ass kicked. It'll be awesome.

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 11:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    Maybe a sparring match next TD? And by sparring match I'm just gonna think "Hey, she's cute" while getting my ass kicked. It'll be awesome.
    dude, they only reason she's relevant to this discussion is because she's a southpaw, and i have held pads for her a lot, which is to say that she is NOT really relevant to this discussion at all.

i thought this sub-forum was moderated with an iron fist!

hoping that these posts get moved, i will say: i don't know if/when she will come to another throwdown, and if she does show up, you can ask her yourself.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

blotter art.

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 12:18pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still don't understand why the position of your feet matter at all when you are holding pads. Unless you guys are talking about those thigh pads.

I have never had a southpaw ask me to switch, or asked a southpaw to swich.

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 12:21pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you mean Thai pads? Thats pretty much all we use. It matters because you have to get used to stepping to the outside of their front leg as a southpaw and also different targets for leg kicks. It is not a big deal.

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 12:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Domite
    I still don't understand why the position of your feet matter at all when you are holding pads. Unless you guys are talking about those thigh pads.

I have never had a southpaw ask me to switch, or asked a southpaw to swich.
    for the record i am talking about focus mitts primarily and thai pads as well.

here are my reasons:

1) most people suck at holding mitts, so this makes it simpler (also we have our own way of holding focus mitts, which can be a little confusing to the newbie... i find most places have their own little ways of doing these things.) until someone has some experience with my way, i tend to tell them to keep it simple.

2) the striker's footwork is altered depending on which foot the mitt holder has forward (they don't want to circle towards the power hand.) so for beginner/intermediate fighters, it's best to keep it simple. give them very little to think about and keep them drilling basics (don't drop the hands, don't flare out the elbows, etc.)

again, for more advanced people i could see switching stance when holding, but that is stuff that can be worked out in partner drills and sparring rather than padwork, so i haven't bothered really.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12