Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 11:19pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was not a former Navy Seal. He will tell you that himself. That newspaper article written about him was not accurate. He'll tell you that, too. His teaching will work well for you if you just want to shut up and train. No BS.
    Last edited by MisoCray; 6/05/2011 11:31pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 11:24pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, erm, first here, so i better deal with this. In future, please explain exactly what it is you're saying rather than "I dont like that guy, you dont know who he is , but he's a big lie-pants".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 7:24am

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^
    this... and I thought I would suggest some thoughts from a person much smarter than I.
    Anyone who has declared someone else to be an idiot, a bad apple, is annoyed when it turns out in the end that he isn't.-Friedrich Nietzsche

Which leads to this other gem...

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.-Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 4:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained with Guerra briefly in the late 80's and at the time I was impressed with his Wing Chun mainly because I didn't know any better. I quit attending his classes because he would spend the majority of the class time talking about his time in the Navy and his combat experiences. He also mentioned that he was a Navy Seal a few times. He told me that his background in Wing Tsun was via training with Leung Ting in the late 70's and early 80's. He also mentioned that he had trained with a Sifu Tan in Taiwan when he was serving in the Navy. My intuition told me this guy was kinda whacked and so I stopped attending his classes. A couple of years later I attended a Wing Chun seminar with an instructor from Germany who trained under Leung Ting and found out just how bad Richard's Wing Chun was. What little I had learned from Guerra had to be discarded because it was wrong. The Siu Nim Tau, footwork, stance shifting, punching, etc had to totally be relearned. You'd figure that if Guerra's training came from Leung Ting that it would be the same or similar but it was not. Guerra's Wing Chun is at an rudimentary level at best. His Karate did not look bad at all though. He was tough at Karate....I give him that. His Wing Chun, even though it looked good and aggressive to the untrained eye and unsuspecting student, was not very good. That is all I have to say.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 5:17pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post

I'll take CY's word over yours at this point.

^ L-O-L

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 5:26pm

staff
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol at poor Richard Guerra.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 5:30pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jitschix View Post
    Lol at poor Richard Guerra.
    LOL, I know right?

In his days it was so easy to bullshit an unsuspecting public.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2013 10:30pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaliae View Post
    He was not a former Navy Seal. He will tell you that himself. That newspaper article written about him was not accurate. He'll tell you that, too. His teaching will work well for you if you just want to shut up and train. No BS.
    HOLY CRAP, I wrote that? Well, it's about 2 years later now...and now I understand. OK, so Mr. Guerra is a pretty eccentric guy. I stopped training with him because he had forgotten some of the upper level Soryu kata, and I needed to learn it to move up in rank or whatever. But then, all kinds of things started happening. He burned bridges big time with one of my peers. Got him to invest money in a karate school, then Guerra flaked out on his side of the rent. Holy Crap.

ALSO, a new investigation needs to be started because he claims to have a 7th dan in Soryu Karate from the founder of the style (Michio Koyasu). The cool thing is, I moved to Japan since then and I can go check!

I've recently gotten contact info from the honbu dojo in Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan. I've asked Mr. Guerra to post his certificate on a facebook forum we belong to called "Soryu Karate Association." But he refuses. Another Soryu black belt in Texas also claims that Guerra forged his certificate and forgot to change the kanji. The other awesome thing is, I can have that checked now. :)

But it actually goes deeper than that. It turns out that the entire branch of Soryu in Texas (which was created by Joe Alvarado) is completely self promoted. Alvarado got upset at the founder, Michio Koyasu, for promoting other students above him and totally broke away from the Japanese association, but still kept the Soryu name. He apparently promoted himself to 10th dan and has since promoted others up to 8th and 9th. But they still act like they are connected to Japan!

Seems to be a common thread, not just with Guerra. Deception is no good. Glad I woke up and moved on!!
    Last edited by MisoCray; 3/07/2013 10:32pm at . Reason: misprint
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334