Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 4:37pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Toulouseman
    I've trained under Sifu Guerra from 1985-1996. I earned a Master degree 6th level in Wing Chun from him. Together we established the Latin American Headquarters in Monterrey, México in 1990.
    Also, I'm a Clinical Psychologist with a Ph. D. from Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon. I've been practicing psychoteraphy with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder patients for more than 20 years.

All that said, it is only to clarify that Master Guerra suffered from PTSD after his 3rd tour of duty in Viet Nam. He was wounded in action. I personally have seen the scars on his back. He received meritorious citation by the Navy. He was part of the U.S.S Jouette creww while in operations at the Mekong Delta. He participated in operations Linebacker I & II.

Thus, I'm confirming that he has been treated for PTSD. His personality traits may seem very odd to some people. He is a brutal, formidable and effective fighter. A former "unofficial" hand-to-hand combat instructor to the Navy Seals (Viet Nam era).
    However, he will never show his fierceness to any of his students of Soryu Karate or Wing Chun. He can be very kind and refined in his manners. Nonetheless, do not expect a paradise when training under him, he is tough and demanding, but always encouraging and and sharing.

After I trained with Cecil Chu, Wu Kwong Yu (tai-chi chuan), and Moy Yat (Ving Tsun), Master Guerra added real street-wise applications to my 'soft' styles training. For that I'm very grateful.
    You know... As someone in a field that also places a lot of emphasis on confidentiality, it strikes me as terribly odd that you would air out a friend's psychological issues on the internet.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 4:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous
    You know... As someone in a field that also places a lot of emphasis on confidentiality, it strikes me as terribly odd that you would air out a friend's psychological issues on the internet.
    Honestly ...

Everything about this entire thread strikes me as odd . Except of course the OP being confused and asking about this K/WC teacher . That part I understand .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 4:59pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I actually find that rather disturbing. If he does have issued I'd hope he would adress them not you.

Unless, of course, you are him?

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 5:23pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've trained under Sifu Guerra from 1985-1996. I earned a Master degree 6th level in Wing Chun from him. Together we established the Latin American Headquarters in Monterrey, México in 1990.
    Also, I'm a Clinical Psychologist with a Ph. D. from Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon. I've been practicing psychoteraphy with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder patients for more than 20 years.

All that said, it is only to clarify that Master Guerra suffered from PTSD after his 3rd tour of duty in Viet Nam. He was wounded in action. I personally have seen the scars on his back. He received meritorious citation by the Navy. He was part of the U.S.S Jouette creww while in operations at the Mekong Delta. He participated in operations Linebacker I & II.

Thus, I'm confirming that he has been treated for PTSD. His personality traits may seem very odd to some people. He is a brutal, formidable and effective fighter. A former "unofficial" hand-to-hand combat instructor to the Navy Seals (Viet Nam era).
    However, he will never show his fierceness to any of his students of Soryu Karate or Wing Chun. He can be very kind and refined in his manners. Nonetheless, do not expect a paradise when training under him, he is tough and demanding, but always encouraging and and sharing.

After I trained with Cecil Chu, Wu Kwong Yu (tai-chi chuan), and Moy Yat (Ving Tsun), Master Guerra added real street-wise applications to my 'soft' styles training. For that I'm very grateful.

Not meaning to be disrespectful revealing this mans suffered from PTSSD isnt that violation of his right to privacy and confidentiality.

I know you are trying to say good things about him and I respect that . But in the same token it be different Id think if he himself revealed it in this forum.

Just my opinion

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 5:24pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    agree 100000000 percent

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 5:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A former "unofficial" hand-to-hand combat instructor to the Navy Seals (Viet Nam era).
    Am I the only one who thinks the brackets around "unofficial" set off alarm bells? That kind of language is a trademark of TSR type stuff.

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 6:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxguitar
    Not meaning to be disrespectful revealing this mans suffered from PTSSD isnt that violation of his right to privacy and confidentiality.

I know you are trying to say good things about him and I respect that . But in the same token it be different Id think if he himself revealed it in this forum.

Just my opinion
    If he knows for some reason other than treating the guy himself, it's not. But being that he's in the profession, it's totally bizarre that he'd start telling people on the internet.

Another thing, the use of the words "master degree" in your martial arts title? Come on.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2008 12:37am

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I just thought I would chime in on this...isn't it illegal for a pyschologist to say what a patient has been treated for? I mean if this guy didnt treat him, was just told about it because of his profession hes just a dick for saying it on the internet, but if he actually treated him in an official capacity he could be in some trouble I think.

Also, on the whole navy seal thing, my mom used to work with a guy who was a seal back in vietnam. She had me talk to him a few times due to my interest in joining the military. The guy was ordinary as hell (his name was bob for christ's sake). He wasn't in any better shape than anyone else his age, didn't claim to be some super awesome fighter, he was just a guy that had been there and done that better than almost anyone else and had the confidence that went along with it. I'm sure he had some skills that carried over:qright1:but an average 20 year old could still kick his ass if he didn't have a gun, you know?

Posted On:
    11/17/2008 1:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn
    So I just thought I would chime in on this...isn't it illegal for a pyschologist to say what a patient has been treated for? I mean if this guy didnt treat him, was just told about it because of his profession hes just a dick for saying it on the internet, but if he actually treated him in an official capacity he could be in some trouble I think.
    Pretty much. I figure the guy (if he is all the things he says he ism which I think most of us doubt) knows all this from his longtime association rather than treating the guy or being consulted on his treatment.

Posted On:
    11/17/2008 5:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with you on the basic ethical-legal matter of confidentiality for the case of patient related material that can be and cannot be required by a court of law, even in the U.S.

But I'm not or has been his therapist. This material has been very well disclosed in his books, Black Belt Magazine collaborations, Videos and regular classes. It's not a secret.

I thank you for your concern on the legal matters. Hopefully, every posting member in this website could be as conscious as you.

However, the reality is that one of the guys that I replied before, called him "crazy". I considered that an offense, not only to a martial artist, but to a human being that sacrificed his life and his family. In an open forum like this, barbarous inventions can be written.
    I will not answer to personal insults. But I will openly defend the misjudged sifu.

I'd also like to thank you for your concern on the friendship between sifu and I. It remains untouched by the wrong and unfair judgment of any.

I salute to his courage to live and his inspiration to many others!!

To you dear reader, my deepest respect and best wishes!
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast