Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 5:57pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aleks dropped from affliction due to a possibly career ending "affliction" of his own

Hep B (no C - thanks to PSB for pointing that out )

http://www.mmanews.com/other/Aleks-E...ep-B-Test.html
    Aleks Emelianenko Removed Due To Positive Hep B Test

By Chris Howie:

This past weekend Aleksander Emelianenko was scheduled to face Paul Buentello in heavyweight action during the FSN portion of Affliction: Banned but due to medical complications the fight was cancelled.

A source close to the situation spoke to MMANews.com's Michael Moody on a condition of anonymity and explained that the blood tests came back right before Aleks and Buentello were scheduled to weigh in and that is why there was so much confusion around the stage and why the fighters did not weigh in. Gary Goodridge ended up stepping up on extremely short notice and filling in for the Russian heavyweight.

The tests were positive for Hepatitis B which resulted in the CSAC cancelling the fight. Hep B is the result of transmission from exposure to infectious blood or body fluids containing blood. Possible forms of transmission include (but are not limited to) unprotected sexual contact, blood transfusions, re-use of contaminated needles & syringes, and vertical transmission from mother to child during childbirth.

A positive Hepatitis B test is no laughing matter and this could spell the end of Aleks' fighting career as many of the people close to the situation pointed out. I can't imagine many fighters willing to step up to fight Aleks with the possibility of catching the disease. He most definitely will not fight in the United States again and it will be interesting to see if this positive test results in organizations from all over the world black listing the brother of heavyweigh king, Fedor Emelianenko.

MMANews.com will have more on this story as it develops as we imagine a second opinion will be taken to make sure the test wasn't flawed.

This really sucks for Aleks, and could quite well spell an end to his fighting career.
    Last edited by Deadmeat; 7/23/2008 6:27pm at .

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 6:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    This really sucks for Aleks, and could quite well spell an end to his fighting career.
    Not likely, because it's actually Hep B, which the vast majority of the time goes away by itself....

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 6:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Not likely, because it's actually Hep B, which the vast majority of the time goes away by itself....
    A touche. It appears I fail at reading comprehension. That's twice this week.

what a waste of a clever thread title.

Aleks dropped from affliction due to an affliction that may keep him out of the sport for up to three months doesn't quite have the same ring to it.
    Last edited by Deadmeat; 7/23/2008 6:29pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 6:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This had me worried for a bit.

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 7:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Me too. I'm relieved, because I've always been a fan of Aleks' and I keep hoping he gets his act together.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 10:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Yeah, allthough 5-10% become chronic carriers who can't clear it and don't necessarily show symptoms.

I'm wondering if this may be the case with him, because if he was actually sick with a fresh case of Hep, he probably wouldn't even consider fighting. I had Hep A about 10 years ago, which isn't as serious as B, and I turned yellow and was so sick I couldn't even get out of bed for a few weeks.

Great way to cut weight though - I couldn't keep food down and lost about 15% of my body weight in 3 weeks. Turned my piss brown too. Good times.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 11:53pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. That's pretty gross. I hope he gets well soon... Does anyone know how long it generally lasts for?

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 12:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    up to a few months from what I understand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 1:27am

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a shame.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 12:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    up to a few months from what I understand.
    Hopefully he's not an asymptomatic carrier, as he could have it permanantly then. He wouldn't be sick himself, but could still pass it on to others. That would be a career ender. See info below.

http://www.cha.state.md.us/edcp/factsheets/hepb_ca.html

Hepatitis B carriers are people infected with the hepatitis B virus for life
    Hepatitis B virus infects the liver. The virus is in blood, semen, menstrual blood, and other body fluids. Five to 10% of adults and about 90% of babies who get hepatitis B will go on to "carry" or keep the virus for the rest of their lives. These people are called "hepatitis B carriers." They may not be sick, but they can pass the virus on to others and make others sick with hepatitis B.

People who are hepatitis B carriers can lead normal, healthy lives

Most hepatitis B carriers do not feel sick or look sick. However, carriers have a higher risk of becoming sick with liver disease and liver cancer. Carriers need to have the regular care of a doctor.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast