Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456
    Style
    Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcell
    You do know that the government of Afghanistan basically begged the USSR for the incursion? You do know it was the states that created the Taliban and funded the jihad, right?

http://members.aol.com/bblum6/afghan.htm
    That link isn't really supporting a friendly soviet outlook my friend.

had a PDP leader killed, arrested the rest of the leadership, and purged hundreds of suspected party sympathizers from government posts
    Then these guys beg (as you say) the soviets to come in (whom ironically do some purging of their own) and begin raping the country.

Have you seen what Afghanistan looked like before the soviets came to town? You should dig up some pictures, the ones I saw were beautiful.
    But honestly Marcell as for the Soviets being begged to invade, I'm not reallying buying that. Even if for arguments sake they were, they trashed the place.

I agree the states enabled the Taliban. Our fear of the red dawn/red alert soviet control of the world had us choose the lesser of two evils. Now the soviets rattle their sables now and then to make everyone think their a world player and we're the ones getting killed by the Taliban.

Thread is getting side tracked though, you should make a new one in the conspiricy area or Sociocide if you want?
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Style
    JKD and BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually don't support the fact that they went in. I think it was a revisionist decision. But the facts are that the states started funding the mujahadeen (who later became the taliban) before the USSR went in in order to try to bring down the social-democratic government that took power there. This government asked the USSR no less than 5 times before the Soviets relented.

Style
    Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But the facts are that the states started funding the mujahadeen (who later became the taliban) before the USSR went in in order to try to bring down the social-democratic government that took power there. This government asked the USSR no less than 5 times before the Soviets relented.
    Do you have a source for this? I've never heard it.
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Style
    aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark
    Do you have a source for this? I've never heard it.
    I'll try to find you a source. What Marcell is saying is essentially correct, as I remember it.

Style
    Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. I always thought the US were backing the Taliban to thwart the Soviets and not just a soviet friendly government. Figures all things considering.

Style
    JKD and BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's in the article I cited, did you read all of it?

It was only recently declassified though.

Style
    血鷲
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You do know that the government of Afghanistan basically begged the USSR for the incursion? You do know it was the states that created the Taliban and funded the jihad, right?

http://members.aol.com/bblum6/afghan.htm
    The government of Kabul, more like. Afghanistan has a lengthy history of being a disparate region far more than any kind of state. As for when that region was 'beautiful': in cultural terms, it was beautiful when it was Buddhist. Topographically, much of the landscape is still breath-taking today. Just watch where you step.

Style
    aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand
    The government of Kabul, more like. Afghanistan has a lengthy history of being a disparate region far more than any kind of state. As for when that region was 'beautiful': in cultural terms, it was beautiful when it was Buddhist. Topographically, much of the landscape is still breath-taking today. Just watch where you step.
    Yup, still lots of butterfly mines. Something else to thank the soviets for

Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456