Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2008 8:11am

Style: Jiu Jits, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Five by Five

Hey, sorry if this has already came up but i couldnt find anything.

Im currently looking at building strength and size,
    I have been doing the five by five program for about three months now, although because of my MA training i usually only get in two workouts per week.

I weigh 72.5 kilograms
    I am currently squatting 75kg
    bench pressing 60kg
    deadlifting 75kg

I fail at 16 chin ups and 13 pull ups.

I wanted to know if anyone has had any success with this program for functional strength,
    I am not interested in bodybuilding but want to increase my strength to increase my potential as a martial artist.

Also can i have you opinions on being able to squat 1.5 times your body weight, do you think this is a practical goal for a "fighter".

Thanks

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/16/2008 9:25am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertad
    Hey, sorry if this has already came up but i couldnt find anything.

Im currently looking at building strength and size,
    I have been doing the five by five program for about three months now, although because of my MA training i usually only get in two workouts per week.

I weigh 72.5 kilograms
    I am currently squatting 75kg
    bench pressing 60kg
    deadlifting 75kg

I fail at 16 chin ups and 13 pull ups.

I wanted to know if anyone has had any success with this program for functional strength,
    I am not interested in bodybuilding but want to increase my strength to increase my potential as a martial artist.

Also can i have you opinions on being able to squat 1.5 times your body weight, do you think this is a practical goal for a "fighter".

Thanks
    Check the sticky thread. Also use the search function.

I will reopen this thread in 48 hours. Until then, it remains closed. This topic has been discussed many times, and it's been thoroughly discussed and documented in many threads in this forum, and in particular, in the sticky thread WHICH EVERYONE IS SUPPOSED TO CONSULT.

I'm tired of people saying "I don't want to be a bodybuilder" (as if one becomes one even when not wanting it) or whether squatting helps you in martial arts (as if this has not been discussed already IN THE STICKY THREAD.)

And what the living crap is functional strength? Is that something opposite to "disfunctional" strength (if there is every such a thing)? Is there any type of strength that is not "functional"? Functional for what? *** argh!!! gouging eyes ***

Jesus Christ allmighty, this subject has been the main topic for several threads in the last couple of weeks for Christ's sake.

Use the next 48 hours to read the sticky thread - it is the very first thread listed at the top of the "Physical Training, Diet, and Health" forum. The thread will be re-opened on Friday, 18th around 10:25AM EST (48 hours from now.)
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 7/16/2008 9:29am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    7/18/2008 7:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertad

Thanks
    STICKY THREAD : Important PT Threads You Need to Read. El Macho es Muy Perezoso - No BS Martial Arts

which contains the following:

Teh Weight Training, Grip Training, Powerlifting, Weightlifting And Stuff Thread
    Teh Weight Training, Grip Training, Powerlifting, Weightlifting And Stuff Thread - No BS Martial Arts

which contains the following:

Stronger Not Bigger
    synopsys: A discussion on how to start training for strenght rather than size
    Stronger not bigger - No BS Martial Arts

Strength Training and Mass Building...
    synopsys: the title says it all
    Strength Training and Mass Building... - No BS Martial Arts

Being Muscular Makes You Gas?
    Synopsys: Well, that's the question. Short answer: No. Longer Answer: read the thread to find out why
    Being muscular makes you gas? - No BS Martial Arts

How Important Is Weightlifting for competitive MMA fighting?
    Synopsys: Well, short answer: It's important. Longer Answer: read the thread, specially LI GUY 1 and GIJoe6186's posts on the subject.
    How important is weightlifting for competitive MMA fighting? - No BS Martial Arts

Cutting out MA in favour of weights... to improve MA?
    synopsys: general discussion of weight training for supplementing (and improving) MA training.
    Cutting out MA in favour of weights... to improve MA? - No BS Martial Arts

SEMI-MODERATED: Grip/Forearm Conditioning - An Ongoing Experiment of the Collective:
    SEMI-MODERATED: Grip/Forearm Conditioning - An Ongoing Experiment of the Collective - No BS Martial Arts

... in addition to the rules and regulations of posting.

Those should answer those questions. Seriously, people need to read the sticky.

The thread is now open.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    7/18/2008 10:55am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    El macho you've got a tough job. Here's a whiskey bro, cheers!

You could squat 1.5X just for the fun of it, what else are you going to do? (yeah I saw you reach for those cheetos, you better stop that)
    Last edited by jubei33; 7/18/2008 10:57am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 10:36am

Style: Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have a question regarding doing the 5x5 with an injured rotator cuff....
    last night i did my bench with 95 lbs and my shoulder wasnt happy. i, being the moron that i am, decided that i would not let my angry rotator cuff deter me from completing my routine and went on to do bent over rows and dips. i also ended up taking a no-gi class a few hours later. shoulder not so happy today...
    so.........................are there any other upper body exercises i can try out (obviously with lighter weight on account of my retard left shulder) that i can do while i (sort of) let this ghey shoulder healjitsu? would it be ok if i just left out bench pressing for amonth or two? or should i just cut out all upper body?

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 9:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ayayayay, what you need to do is to stop all pressing movements for the time being and rehab your shoulder into health. In fact, don't press at all for months (as that's how it usually takes the shoulder to heal.)

Most of this material should be searchable in these threads. Check them out:

- internal shoulder rotator stretches
    - external shoulder rotator stretches
    - external shoulder rotator exercises
    - pectoralis stretches
    - anterior deltoid stretches
    - posterior deltoid stretches
    - face pulls
    - scapular wall slides : YouTube - Scapular Wall Slide - Shoulder Mobility - Nutrex Solutions
    - upper thoracic mobility (this is also discussed in the StrongLifts 5x5 website.)
    - glenohumeral internal rotator deficit (GIRD)
    - shoulder dislocation exercises with a rope or resistance band.

You should be doing wall up slides, face pulls and push ups on a medicine ball. With the later, the instability forces your body to recruit and strenghten the antagonistics. This eventually increases the stability on your shoulder rotators.

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 9:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, check the sticky thread. There is a section on shoulder health on the injury prevention section.

Furthermore, searching for shoulder gets you the following (that's all you'll need in addition to face pulls, wall up slides and push ups on a stability ball for the next couple of months.)

Squats - Elbows hurt - No BS Martial Arts

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...or#post1872725

Also, ice the area accordingly to reduce swelling, everyday, at least twice a day, 10-15 minutes each time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 12:10am

Style: Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i <3 u, teh el macho. I really do.