Posted On:
    12/04/2003 7:30pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Glow in the dark fish!

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/sci....ap/index.html

SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- Citing ethical concerns, state regulators Wednesday refused to allow sales of the first bio-engineered household pet, a zebra fish that glows fluorescent. GloFish are expected to go on sale everywhere else next month.

California is the only state with a ban on genetically engineered species, and the Fish and Game Commission said it would not exempt the zebra fish from the law even if escaped fish would not pose a threat to the state's waterways.

"For me it's a question of values, it's not a question of science," said commissioner Sam Schuchat. "I think selling genetically modified fish as pets is wrong."

The 3-1 vote came moments after commissioners approved the state's 14th license for research into genetically modified fish. But commissioners drew the line on permitting widespread sales of a biotech fish for pure visual pleasure.

The normally black-and-silver zebra fish were inserted with genes from sea anemones or jellyfish to turn them red or green, and glow under black or ultraviolet lights.

Federal agencies have decided they have no jurisdiction over a bio-engineered household pet that is not intended for consumption.

Given California's extensive review, proponents had looked to its approval to dampen any concerns from other states or consumers that the fish might be harmful to the environment or if consumed by wayward pets or children.

'An abuse of the power we have over life'
    Opponents view the decision as precedent-setting as they lobby for regulation on the national level.

Yorktown Technologies of Texas, which has the license to market the fish, and the state of Florida, in which the fish are grown, argued before the commission that the altered fish tolerate cold less than natural zebra fish, and they could not survive in California waters.

Environmental and public interest groups and commercial fishermen argued that the fish have been found to survive outside their native waters.

California residents buy 25 million ornamental fish a year, an eighth of the 200 million sold across the nation, Yorktown President Alan Blake said. He estimated that Californians might have bought two million of the genetically altered fish each year.

California adopted its regulations for fear genetically modified farmed fish, such as salmon, could get loose and devastate the state's wild populations.

Commissioners balked Wednesday even after acknowledging Californians could readily buy the fish in any neighboring state and bring them home.

"Welcome to the future. Here we are, playing around with the genetic bases of life," Schumchat said. "At the end of the day, I just don't think it's right to produce a new organism just to be a pet.

"To me, this seems like an abuse of the power we have over life, and I'm not prepared to go there today."

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    12/04/2003 7:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    - I have no problems with genetic enginering

- Ornamental escapee fish are always a big problem

- I'd like a glowing fish

what to do what to do

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2003 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "At the end of the day, I just don't think it's right to produce a new organism just to be a pet."

Liberals rule. "Your rights end where my feelings begin. Cuz I said so."

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    12/04/2003 7:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what the **** is a bichon frise then?

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    12/04/2003 7:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am totally against genetically engineered glowing fish.

However, genetically engineered glowing emu.
    HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2003 7:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's just.....I...eh..ah....that's just DIFFERENT. Ok?? It's a DOG. Don't ask such stupid questions. Start using MY common sense from now on, and everything will be fine. Vote Kerry! :p
    Last edited by Nid; 12/04/2003 7:53pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2003 7:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mules too. Of course they work all day...especially the rented ones. That's different.

But pet mules are not ok.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    12/04/2003 8:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "At the end of the day, I just don't think it's right to produce a new organism just to be a pet."

Liberals rule. "Your rights end where my feelings begin. Cuz I said so."
    you have a right to have man made glowing fish ?
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2003 8:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not even really a matter of "rights" it's a matter of one all-encompassing right; to be left alone by the gov't. Basically, our rights are simply *restrictions*, but not on the people, on the gov't.

See, there're two kinds of tyranny...democratic (mob), and dictator. The trick was to find a system which prevents both. It's a long story.

It boils down to this. "Leave me alone until I initiate force/fraud against another human."

That gives me the "right" to just about whatever it is I want, provided I operate within that one very basic caveat. This fish does not represent something which is outside the bounds of that which I am entitled to posesss if I consider it to be part of my own subjective "pursuit of happiness". The best others can do is squeel about how they feel, but I don't have to listen. One hears that about violent sports, "viscious" dogs, guns, drugs, smoking, alcohol, interracial dating, etc etc. Screw how people "feel" when it comes to legality. I mean, really. Not a good road to go down.

When people start thinking a gov't is that which dispenses rights at it's own subjective discretion, that's when minorities get trod upon. The smallest minority, mind you, is the individual.
    Last edited by Nid; 12/04/2003 8:27pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2003 8:54pm

Style: Yin Ten Do / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If that is our state's law now...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Somehow I think someone is taking some money from the "goldfish industry" since goldfish suck compared to the kickass glowing fish they are making, because laws shouldn't have feelings like this one. How low can you go taking out the competition before it even had a chance. Really.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast