232735 Bullies, 3758 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 6:36pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So would you say this, plus a couple of sets of pullups to failure, plus some timed sets (max reps in 1 minute) of situps and jumps woud be a decent way to spend 40 minutes?

Trying to get to 20 pullups at the same time would be cool, but I suspect you would be hitting some of the supporting muscles too hard to max both. Or at least I would.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 6:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't ever suggest training to failure in any exercise for the purpose of strength training. The pull-ups are less tha ideal, but better than nothing in terms of pulling.

If you want an effective, full-body workout that require no weights, do workout 1 on trainforstrength.com
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 6:53pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Programs like this are why my rotator cuffs are still insanely fucked up.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 8:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol
    Programs like this are why my rotator cuffs are still insanely fucked up.
    Exactly. I'm really upset that someone just put this up there and was like "Lol, try this!"
    "Emevas,

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 8:41pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are looking for a daily workout with "Challenges" and fun stuff like that try Crossfit. www.crossfit.com tends to work well with MMA/BJJ.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 8:44pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm still paying the price of doing **** like this w/o thinking about working the antagonistics, muscular balance and ****.

A better test is one-hand push ups. If you feel stalling on your 5x5, chest workout or whatever, aim to do 10-one hand push ups with one arm immediately followed by 10 with the other, 1 rep in less than 2 seconds , legs open about shoulder width.

Once you get there, then instead of aiming for higher reps, close your legs further.

Hell you can always train one-arm push ups using a ME/DE or a plyo/DE approach. For a DE approach you can aim to 3-rep sets with the reps executed as fast as possible. Unless you can do 10-one arm push ups already, this will be challenging already.

You can also do them with a limited range of motion by putting a med ball under you. This would be akin to board presses. Better yet, lay with your chest on top of the ball and in a cold-turkey fashion propel yourself up with one arm (thus getting rid of the eccentric.)

Heck, if someone is really intent on using push ups, he/she can combine them with dumbbells and perform push up rows.

YouTube - Dumbbell Push Up/Row

[edit]

Oh and yes, Ross rulez!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 8:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, if you can only do 10 one armed push-ups, I wouldn't use triples as a DE method, because it'd prolly be a little heavy. I'd just go for plyo push-ups.
    "Emevas,

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 10:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    The pull-ups are less tha ideal, but better than nothing in terms of pulling.
    Really? I always thought pullups were great for pulling.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 11:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, let's compare the two:
    The weighted push-up (closest I could find) targets the pec, with synergists of the anterior deltoid and tricep.
    The weighted chin-up targets the lats, and involves a whole bunch of synergists. The tricep is covered (its antagonist is the bicep), and so is the anterior deltoid (posterior deltoid). The pectoral can have several antagonists, all of which are included in the chin-up list. So what's the catch?

Well, the catch is that the pec probably provides transverse flexion of the shoulder, but the chin-up is closer to adduction. The muscles recruited by chin-ups are the ones you want, but the chin-up itself is perpendicular to the push-up, not directly opposite. In practical terms, this leaves a bit of room for imbalances to develop (when a muscle is more heavily recruited in one motion than its antagonist is in the other), although not nearly so much as doing one but not the other.

Incidentally, on the subject of rotator cuffs, I usually do external rotations with tubing, but I recently tried dumbbell Single-Arm External Rotations (courtesy of Teh El Macho's signature block) and they seem to really hit the spot.

Posted On:
    7/15/2008 12:08am

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So who completed day one, and is going to attempt to get to 100? Just curious who is continuing on.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast