Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 1:35pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea I don't see the poin though. Why not do more beneficial work on your chest rather than tailor a regimen just to complete 100 push ups?

I'm gonna go try to see how many I can do in the work lunchroom on my next break.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 1:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, to answer a rhetorical question with a question (and then answer my own question): What's worse than doing a sub-optimal but low-risk workout regime? Answer: Not doing anything.

I'd say that the bulk of people who pick up this program will do some push-ups, work up some sweat, and move on. Hopefully, when they do, they'll move on to something better rather than back to a sedentary lifestyle.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 2:09pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, for me I'm feeling kinda plateau'd on my strength workout (5x5) and I was thinking about going high rep for a month or two anyhow (plus maybe slice off a pound or two of unused bodyweight). So doing a combination of alot of pushups+situps+pullups+jump squats was in the cards anyhow. If I can hit a significant mental milestone along the way, well that just frickin rocks.

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 2:17pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. Great avatar dude.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 5:20pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I may try this. I was working toward this goal anyway.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 5:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where the hell is the antagonist work in this program? It's incredibly irresponsible for someone to be putting something out like this as though it's a good idea.

Edit: For those of you that are playing along at home, abort mission. Unless you are including an equal amount of antagonist work in this "routine", you will not enjoy the results. Especially if you are already heavily involved in some manner of striking.
    Last edited by Emevas; 7/14/2008 5:43pm at .
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 6:10pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you elaborate on that? I understand what you mean by antagonist, but I'm curious as to what kind of exercises are antagonistic to a pushup. Flies?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 6:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Flies are working the same muscles as push-ups. Push-ups are a horizontal push. You want to oppose them with a horizontal pull. Something like bent over rows or fat man pull-ups would work. If you can't manage that, at least do some regular pull-ups, and throw in some rear delt work.

It's never a good idea to just work one set of muscles and not the others.
    "Emevas,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 6:18pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Where the hell is the antagonist work in this program? It's incredibly irresponsible for someone to be putting something out like this as though it's a good idea.

Edit: For those of you that are playing along at home, abort mission. Unless you are including an equal amount of antagonist work in this "routine", you will not enjoy the results. Especially if you are already heavily involved in some manner of striking.
    I've seen these type routines before .... usually designed to help max out a military PFT. Ive also seen routines designed to get to 20 pullups ... what do you think about doing both together (pushup/pullup routine) for someone wanting to max out their PFT?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 6:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something like Pavel's ladder would be appropriate to work with. I'd still throw in some supplemental rear delt work for the sake of shoulder health, but if someone has a specific goal of maxing a PFT, specificity is the key, and comes at the sacrafice of health and effectiveness. A had a buddy at VMI, and pretty much everyone maxed their PFT because everyone did the PFT everytime they trained. They got real good at it real fast, haha.
    "Emevas,
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast