Posted On:
    7/14/2008 1:27am

Style: Transitioning as usual

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76
    ^^^
    isn't that rugby?
    Yes, but it sounded better and would do well to elevate the status of soccer to westerners.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 1:51am

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76
    ^^^
    isn't that rugby?
    This just reinforces my belief that it would be safer to stick to a safer sport where cutting off the flow of blood to the brain and forcing joints in the wrong direction is encouraged.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 2:00am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Guess
    To effectively hit the back of the head you would have to approach a person from behind. That doesn't exactly sound like something you would do for self defense if you ask me.
    Welll... take, for example, a sprawl situation. Say some idiot that used to play football tries to tackle me and I sprawl on him, then I drop a couple elbows on the back of his neck or spine, so yea, I think it is applicable to a self defense situation.
    As for the training methods, a bunch of you seem to be attacking me personally. I DO NOT SHARE MY FRIENDS OPINION ON MMA. I know if I where to get in a self defense situation that I WOULD NOT go into MMA mode. I would look for the quickest way to end the fight, whether its a right cross to the chin, or a chop to the throat, or a nut twist while grappling.
    So I don't really agree that "how you train, is how you fight"
    The problem is, we tend to use this same arguement to hate on Ninjers and other martial artists that don't do live resistance training. We believe since they don't practice applying their techniques against resisting partners, that they won't be able to use them in a combat situation. Essentialy that is the same thing as saying that since MMA guys don't practice groin kicks, they won't be able to perform them in a combat situation.
    Do you see the hypocrisy here?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 2:06am

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTeefa
    Welll... take, for example, a sprawl situation. Say some idiot that used to play football tries to tackle me and I sprawl on him, then I drop a couple elbows on the back of his neck or spine, so yea, I think it is applicable to a self defense situation.
    This has been discussed here before, and the consensus is that it doesn't really work well. You can't put any of your weight behind the strike.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 2:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, first off, the elbow to the spine thing...your assuming that you will essentially divide by zero, with their body.

Newsflash, you won't murder them, you won't paralyze them, especially if you're dropping HELLBOWS from the sprawl. No power.

Anyhow, moves like groin punches, eye gouges, etc, it doesn't take a brain scientist to know how to do them. Hell, i was kicking people in the junk when i was five (i don't do it anymore!)

However, double leg takedown --> mount --> ground and pound --> rear naked choke is something that isn't necessarily intuitive to everyone.

Besides, when you're pissed off, a kick to the stones doesn't really hurt that much, anyway.

tl;dr, i'd rather stick to my non-d3dly sport techniques, then rely on nut shots.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 2:20am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    Well, first off, the elbow to the spine thing...your assuming that you will essentially divide by zero, with their body.

Newsflash, you won't murder them, you won't paralyze them, especially if you're dropping HELLBOWS from the sprawl. No power.
    okay bad example, I didn't think it through before I typed it up.
    How about this? I sprawl and then drive some knees into the top of their head.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 2:27am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTeefa
    okay bad example, I didn't think it through before I typed it up.
    How about this? I sprawl and then drive some knees into the top of their head.
    There we go.

Thats effective.

Thats also legal in MMA (in japan, at least0

I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    I agree with moosey

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 2:43am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even if the supposition is true -- training limits translate directly into hard limits in actual fighting -- the argument still favours combat sports. Taking it to the reductio ad absurdam, what do you think works better on the str33t: Hard strikes to legal MMA targets like the head, the stomach, the liver, floating ribs, etc.; or tappy strikes to the body and punches that get close to, but don't actually touch, eyes, testicles, and pressure points that cause your internal organs to explode?

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 2:49am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter
    Even if the supposition is true -- training limits translate directly into hard limits in actual fighting -- the argument still favours combat sports. Taking it to the reductio ad absurdam, what do you think works better on the str33t: Hard strikes to legal MMA targets like the head, the stomach, the liver, floating ribs, etc.; or tappy strikes to the body and punches that get close to, but don't actually touch, eyes, testicles, and pressure points that cause your internal organs to explode?
    Besides, what are you going to say, after you implode their testicles, gouge out their eyes, and explode their internal organs?

Sorry, officer, i didn't know i was teh dedly?

/sarcasm

I agree with moosey
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast