Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2008 8:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    Wait until after the 23rd, don't be an idiot like I was and ruin your **** for longer because you had to rush back in there.
    QFT

Echoed by me the 22 year old who is occasionally reduced to hobbling like an old man for portions of days because he didnt take care of his knee.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 11:20am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think anyone on here will be able to say for sure if you tore your ACL or not but with that said, to me, it does sounds like it (worst case I'd guess ACL and possibly lateral meniscus from what you describe) so I think it would be smart to get it checked out (everyone goes through different amounts of stability and pain so it's really hard to say for sure).

I tore my ACL/MCL and Lateral Meniscus just over a year ago, had the surgery and am back to doing everything I was doing before. My knee actually felt very stable to me after I injured it but when my doctor would test it he could move it all over the place - not once did it ever go out on me between the injury and the surgery but it was still loose (which will tear up the meniscus over time).

As for meniscus surgeries - I thought it was supposed to be about 6 weeks off from training (this could depend on whether they trim it or stitch it maybe). I would play it safe and wait for your OS or PT to give you the go ahead - the worst thing is to rush back and re-injure yourself.

Good luck - Injuries suck!!
    Last edited by Student; 7/21/2008 11:27am at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 11:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If any one is interested I ended up getting an Allograft which is a cadaver ligament (I am over 40) - one of the advantages is that you are up on your feet a little quicker because they don’t have to harvest the ligament from another part of your body (which also means less pain) and I needed this for my job but a disadvantage is it takes longer for your body to turn this into a functioning ligament so your overall recovery is longer (you will be out of sports longer with this graft but back on your feet quicker with less pain).

For the younger guys I think a hamstring or patellar Autograft would probably be the way to go. If you can find an OS who does the contra-lateral version where they take it from the non-injured leg (Tiger Woods just did this with the hamstring) then even better.

If you have very weak hamstrings or are worried about losing a little hamstring strength them the patellar Autograft might make more sense – but if you kneel down a lot you take the chance of always having knee pain with this one (at least I hear that a lot from people who have done it).

I started doing light martial arts training at 4 months post-op (light boxing and grappling) and started actual BJJ classes again at 10 months. At 12 months I felt 100% recovered for day to day activities and probably 90% recovered for sports (I am still working on getting the explosiveness back in my injured leg – I can tell it is still weaker in this aspect than my non-injured leg).

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 11:48am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh no, I disagree sir. Injuries are AWESOME.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 12:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One more post on this. Below are a list of exercises my PT gave me to do after the injury to prepare for the surgery (the goal is to get back as much ROM as you can and to get as much strength back as you can) - in addition to these I did tons of stationary bike work too:

Straight leg raises: Contract first, raise to height of opposite bent knee, lower, fully relax, repeat – 3 sets of 15 – just about every exercise is 3 sets of 15 (both injured and non-injured leg).

Quad Sets: The second exercise is seated using a towel around my extended injured leg, pull the toes back towards the knee, contract the quad hard (and press back of knee down into floor/table) and hold for 20 seconds (3 reps).

Step Exercise: Start standing on step with my injured leg, lower myself about 6 inches and gently touch the floor and then push back up.

Heel Slides: Using a towel to assist (3 sets of 15, hold for 5 seconds). Loop a towel around foot and using the arms help to pull slide the foot along the floor towards your butt.

Straight Leg Raises - Adduction: On my side with my injured leg moving up and down (I am not doing the other ones where my injured leg would be close to the ground and lifting up because it stresses the MCL).

Standing Calf Raises: Both calves at same time using a step and something to touch for balance if needed.

Extensions: Putting a small ball under my knee (bends knee to about a 45 degree angle) and doing some extensions (limited ROM with these).

Chair Pulls: Sitting in a chair and using my injured leg to pull me forwards (basically do this until I can’t do any more).

Seated Leg Extension with a 10 pound ankle weight: Limited motion on this though (not a full extension) – This can be alternated with the Extension exercise above.

Calf Stretch: Put the ball of my foot on a telephone book and then lean forward so my hands and/or forearms are on a table and just relax into the stretch.

Hamstring Stretch: Lie on my back and use a towel to gently stretch the injured leg (keeping it perfectly straight).

Book Exercise: I place two books on the floor about 2 feet in front of me, and spaced about 3 to 4 feet apart (so they are out at 45 degree angle from me). I then stand just on my injured leg and bend down and touch the book to my right with my right hand (I am told to put it as far away as I possible can so I really have to reach for it), then I stand back up (not touching the other foot to the floor), and then I do the same but this time my left hand touches the book way to my left, I then stand back up (again without ever touching the other foot to the floor). I then repeat this 9 more times on the injured leg (without ever touching down). That is one set, and I am to do 3 sets on each leg (so a total of 30 reps on each leg).

Basic Lunge: I start with feet together and then step out deep with my injured leg. Lower myself so my left knee (behind me) drops down towards the floor (as far as I can go without actually touching – and don’t let the lead knee go out past your toes) and then forcefully push off of the injured leg to get back t the starting position. Then repeat on the other side.
    Last edited by Student; 7/21/2008 12:23pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 12:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    Oh no, I disagree sir. Injuries are AWESOME.
    To be honest, I am stronger and in better shape now than I was before my injury and my BJJ coach says he thinks it is actually making me quite a bit more technical in my game since I lost my explosiveness when I first came back.

Now why couldn't I have done all that without blowing up my knee!!

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 12:38pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a good point. Same thing happened with me. I used to rely on my crazy explosive muay thai kicks to wear down my opponent and KO them, but now I get to work on all the little nuances of combat.

It's a good thing. Though, I still miss my crazy explosive muay thai kicks.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 1:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    holy ****, dude, you have a dead dude's ligament all up in your knee?

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 1:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    holy ****, dude, you have a dead dude's ligament all up in your knee?
    That I do.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 6:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you still find that you can explode and throw your crazy muay thai kicks but only very infrequently? As in, you still have it but you just can't afford to use it unless a situation really warrants?

I think my crazy tkd kicking is pretty similar in muscular demands for explosiveness and I have learned the same lesson you are all talking about after my knee injury.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast