Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 9:55am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to hijack this thread for a second, this question was not worth it's own.

Do knee braces help much with old knee injuries? I hurt mine a few years back after a decade of rugby union and occasionally if i bang someone else's knee with a kick/check it comes back with a vengeance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 10:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have no acl in one knee-braces work up to a point depending on what you are doing with it. I get on fine with kickboxing ( have learned the hard way certain kicks are no go) and no gi. throws and transitioning from stand up to ground is fairly hairy and gives me the heebee jeebies. I simply did not have the luxury of taking several months off work to get the thing fixed. learning what I can do with it and what I cant has not been easy. I train purely for recreation-if you were considering fighting you would need more than the brace.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 1:09pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    I have torn my ACL. Sounds more like you tore a muscle and some tissue. When I tore my ACL I couldn't even bend down to sit on the toilet without lowering myself with my arms.

I had a freakin cane.
    Thanks for the info. If a torn ACL is limiting your movement that much than I may be in the clear. I have a pretty good range of motion except for the kneelin position I mentioned earlier. I am probably going to have to lay off kicking in the long term and focus more in other areas.

Thanks to everyone for the info, keep it coming!

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 1:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training MA without health insurance is a financial disaster waiting to happen. It sounds like you are in the position of either paying 10+ grand for knee surgery, or just going through life with a permanent injury. Sorry!

Go get health insurance... even a crappy policy with super high deductibles is way better than no coverage at all.

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 1:51pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speaking of insurance- can anybody reccomend a good company?

I was look at Assurant cause my girlfriend said they had snazzy commercials.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2008 6:44am

Style: Yoshukai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tore my ACL about 2 1/2 years ago. Along the way I was told the following by my doctor:

1) After the first couple of days, the pain I was in was not due to the torn ACL, it was due to the torn meniscus that happended at the same time. After the initial pain of the tear, the ACL will not hurt.

2) Many, many people go through life with torn ACLs; but most do not end up performing in sports that do a lot of starting and stopping in the forward/backward direction.

3) My surgeon suggested the ACL Reconstruction surgery because I wanted to continue with MA training and I wanted to be able to teach my kids to play soccer. For instance, he told me that if the only physical activities I wanted to do were golf and jogging, he didn't suggest the surgery to repair.

About the recovery time: I was only out of work for one week. Used crutches for one month, but only because the doc said so. After 3 months I was cleared to go back to running/jogging "in a straight line", not sudden stops or twisting motions. Gradually returned to normal; was released to do anything I wanted after 6 months.

The only brace he had me use was for immediately following surgery to keep my leg straight. That was for one week. After about three months I asked about getting fitted for a knee brace, he said "What do you need a brace for? Is your other knee giving you problems?". I do not wear a brace at all, for any activity.

By far the worst thing about the surgery was the physical therapy. It was more difficult, more painful, and much more expensive than any part of the surgery.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/15/2008 10:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BSDaemon
    Training MA without health insurance is a financial disaster waiting to happen.
    Quoted for truth.

Thats why i'm glad my parents have the GOOD insurance! lol.

I sort of have a question, don't mean to de-rail at all

Yesterday, i had the surgery to repair the torn meniscus in my left knee.

Mother fucker hurts like a bitch, i can barely put weight on my leg, and any movement doesn't hurt (due to a large bottle of 'feel good' pills, lol) but it feels...strained, sort of. Kinda like my knee is going, "hey, smart-ass, don't do that".

How long till i can start training again?

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Posted On:
    7/15/2008 10:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask your freakin doctor, bub.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/15/2008 2:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    Ask your freakin doctor, bub.
    i don't see him again till the 23rd.

He said something about 2 weeks, but, i mean, i figured as long as i didn't do anything to stress the knee, it would be ok?

I don't know. I'm going to go pass the **** out again.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Posted On:
    7/15/2008 2:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait until after the 23rd, don't be an idiot like I was and ruin your **** for longer because you had to rush back in there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast