Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2008 9:01pm

Style: Dirty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So ummm... any advice for a few goals?

Ummm... lately I have not been really doing anything as far as weight lifting goes (laziness for the most part), but I do have a few goals which I think are reasonable that I will work on as soon as I start... working.

- Getting an 8 pack (the bottom two are barely emerging, so I know I can get one)
    - Getting the vein to pop out of my left bicep like the right one (I feel a bit asymmetrical)
    - Getting more of a "V" in my back (I probably just need to do pullups)
    - Getting regular sized jeans to fit me tight like the jeans emo kids wear (this one is a bit more long-term, and a "dude, that would be so badass" kind of thing that probably won't happen)

All of them I figure I can get through V-ups, ab-rolls, crunches, curls, isolation curls, pull-ups, squats, and dead lifts. Anyone have any more exercises I should seriously think about or some ideas as far as diet goes (I have none, I just eat whatever I see, but then again I simply can).

Posted On:
    7/20/2008 2:39am

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_flippy
    Ummm... lately I have not been really doing anything as far as weight lifting goes (laziness for the most part), but I do have a few goals which I think are reasonable that I will work on as soon as I start... working.

- Getting an 8 pack (the bottom two are barely emerging, so I know I can get one)
    - Getting the vein to pop out of my left bicep like the right one (I feel a bit asymmetrical)
    - Getting regular sized jeans to fit me tight like the jeans emo kids wear (this one is a bit more long-term, and a "dude, that would be so badass" kind of thing that probably won't happen)...
    I hate you.

I can do a max set of 28 dead-hang pullups with my body weight, or 10 with fifty pounds attached to me. I can do ab exercises like nobody's business and hold planks all day. I can run three miles in just over 20 minutes. I can swim forever.

And I'm still built like a keg.

To reiterate, I hate you.

Posted On:
    7/20/2008 2:41am

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (Not really. I just blame genetics.)

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/20/2008 12:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exercises to seriously think about

Overhead presses
    Dips
    Some manner of heavy rowing

This thread is making me cry.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/20/2008 1:28pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

- Getting regular sized jeans to fit me tight like the jeans emo kids wear (this one is a bit more long-term, and a "dude, that would be so badass" kind of thing that probably won't happen)

All of them I figure I can get through V-ups, ab-rolls, crunches, curls, isolation curls, pull-ups, squats, and dead lifts. Anyone have any more exercises I should seriously think about or some ideas as far as diet goes (I have none, I just eat whatever I see, but then again I simply can).
    I have some ideas:

1. Start working out. Then, several weeks later, say 6-8, come back and ask for suggestions on additional exercises. Or pick the StrongLifts 5x5 program on my sig and stick to it for 6-12 months.

2. Read the fucking sticky thread and the links and articles in it. In particular, read the thread on weight training/lifting as well as the nutrition thread.

I'm all for having all kind of questions on fitness, even if they are not remotely geared towards martial arts, but goddamit, this isn't t-nation or extremefitness.com. The least pple could do is do their due diligence and read the sticky thread.

Go read the sticky thread (both the weight training/lifting and nutrition sections, from top to bottom) and check the StrongLifts 5x5 program (or search Christian Tibedau's articles on t-nation.com or the velocity training on that same website). Then and only then, if you have any questions, then feel free to post them.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 5:36pm

Style: Dirty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not asking for someone to write me a whole work out plan, all I am asking for is any tips or little known bits of information someone might randomly have. I also already read the stickies, and I was foolishly hoping for something along the lines of an "easy button" (or at least a magical 8 pack exercise). I do admit though that I should probably have asked questions about things in specific instead of throwing out generalized pleas for assistance, and I apologize.

As far as working out goes, I haven't had access to a barbell for a month, and I probably won't for another three weeks, making the 5X5 program impossible.
    Last edited by lt_flippy; 7/21/2008 5:39pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 12:08pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not asking for someone to write me a whole work out plan, all I am asking for is any tips or little known bits of information someone might randomly have. I also already read the stickies, and I was foolishly hoping for something along the lines of an "easy button" (or at least a magical 8 pack exercise).
    You have entirely the wrong impression about what it takes to get in better shape.

There isn't a tip or little known bits of information that will get you an 8 pack if you are eating whatever you see with no regard to diet. Every cover of Men's Health that suggests such is marketing hype.

The secret to fitness isn't little known bits of information. Its excercise and consistent dieting. People who are in great shape don't have secret bits of information. They excercise often and eat right all the time. The little tips don't get them in shape.

IF YOU ARE DOING THOSE THINGS ALREADY, then little tips make a difference between having a 6 pack and an 8 pack. Until you do those things, all the dietary tricks, auxillary excercises, and legal supplements in the world are wasted time and energy.

What you are asking for is the equivalent of a BJJ White Belt asking for a few random tips and little known secrets to winning your weight class in the BJJ World Championships when they can only practice one hour a week . . .

Quote Originally Posted by It_flippy
    As far as working out goes, I haven't had access to a barbell for a month, and I probably won't for another three weeks, making the 5X5 program impossible.
    . . . . and doesn't have a Gi, a mat, or an instructor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 1:08pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and here i am trying to get a 6pack...

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 2:12pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not asking for someone to write me a whole work out plan, all I am asking for is any tips or little known bits of information someone might randomly have.
    The only tip I could suggest is to get your ass moving bro and start training. I'm not trying to be mean... sort of. Any so-called tips are context-specific, meaning, there need to be a training program in progress for these tips to be applicable.

The only things I could suggest are:

1. stretch and strengthen your internal and external shoulder rotators (search for self-diagnosis and treatment of glenohumeral internal rotation deficit, internal (subcapularis) and external (infraspinatus) shoulder inflexibility, supraspinatus, subcapularis, and infraspinatus weakness.)

2. Increase your dorsiflexion flexibility (also discussed in the PT threads and on exrx.net.)

3. make sure you schedule at least one 30-minute session a week for stretching, focusing on shoulders, neck, chest, hips (glutes, external rotators and hip flexors), hamstrings, calves, and lower back, per week, regardless of your current physical activity.

I also already read the stickies, and I was foolishly hoping for something along the lines of an "easy button" (or at least a magical 8 pack exercise).
    Yes you were. You may have gone through the stickies, but you DID NOT "read" them. Otherwise, you would have recognized that there are no "easy buttons".

I do admit though that I should probably have asked questions about things in specific instead of throwing out generalized pleas for assistance, and I apologize.

What sort of equipment do you have? Since you have checked the sticky threads, I'm sure you are aware of Ross Enamait's work (www.rosstraining) as well as bodyweightculture.com . 5x5 is great, but it's not the uber-Orthodox holy barbell scripture that we must follow to the letter. A 5x5 is not about specific exercises using a barbell, but on using compound lowerbody AND upper body pull/push exercises at around 5 sets of 5 reps.

One leg squats, chin ups/pull ups from a tree branch, one-hand push ups or handstand push ups may not provide the same stimulus you'd get with a barbell in a 5x5, but ****, if you don't have a car, you walk.

If you are not starting a workout because you are waiting for the appropriate equipment, and if you cannot motivate yourself to get out and jog and do push ups and pull ups off a tree branch, burpees and what not while you wait to get access to a barbell, you have the wrong mentality, and all of this is an exercise in mental masturbation. Seriously.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris