Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 10:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it is an interesting comment about the Aiki stuff and how this thread has run with it. The first time I saw stuff that really impressed me as pure in the concept as adjudged in this thread, was from a guy Angiere brought over from Japan. Yes very gentle, except in the very last part of the movement (at times).

There are other concepts in the set up though that make it work well with very small circular movements that are equally important. For one the Aiki guys learn how to really control movement from the center... Yes obviously their center, even the retarded Akido guys get that.... but from the other guys center as well. The sense of distance employed makes the opponent lose their center, or so ot seems to me... with very little movement to accomplish this work.

Its a great art when used with weapons and when somoene can develop enough control to be precise with technique under duress. No, in a wrestling match where everyone locks up there won't be a way to use some of the better controls that make technique work, but against a weapon? Very good stuff. Also the orginal guys including Muebisha had really good atema waza. Don't fool yourself this atema Waza was around for the equivalent of the Gracie guys of the day!

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 3:22am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I vaguely recall that Yanagi Ryu's Yoshida Kotaro studied with Takeda Sokaku, so Yanagi Ryu is almost certainly derivative of Daito Ryu, combined with whatever also the Yoshida family tossed in to make it their own. Given the vague history of Daito Ryu, this doesn't make Yanagi that much less "traditional" I guess.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123