Page 3 of 12 First 1234567 ... Last
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    3,079
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it is an interesting comment about the Aiki stuff and how this thread has run with it. The first time I saw stuff that really impressed me as pure in the concept as adjudged in this thread, was from a guy Angiere brought over from Japan. Yes very gentle, except in the very last part of the movement (at times).

    There are other concepts in the set up though that make it work well with very small circular movements that are equally important. For one the Aiki guys learn how to really control movement from the center... Yes obviously their center, even the retarded Akido guys get that.... but from the other guys center as well. The sense of distance employed makes the opponent lose their center, or so ot seems to me... with very little movement to accomplish this work.

    Its a great art when used with weapons and when somoene can develop enough control to be precise with technique under duress. No, in a wrestling match where everyone locks up there won't be a way to use some of the better controls that make technique work, but against a weapon? Very good stuff. Also the orginal guys including Muebisha had really good atema waza. Don't fool yourself this atema Waza was around for the equivalent of the Gracie guys of the day!

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,434
    Style
    Kickboxing/Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I vaguely recall that Yanagi Ryu's Yoshida Kotaro studied with Takeda Sokaku, so Yanagi Ryu is almost certainly derivative of Daito Ryu, combined with whatever also the Yoshida family tossed in to make it their own. Given the vague history of Daito Ryu, this doesn't make Yanagi that much less "traditional" I guess.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    46
    Style
    Old School MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams View Post
    I vaguely recall that Yanagi Ryu's Yoshida Kotaro studied with Takeda Sokaku, so Yanagi Ryu is almost certainly derivative of Daito Ryu, combined with whatever also the Yoshida family tossed in to make it their own. Given the vague history of Daito Ryu, this doesn't make Yanagi that much less "traditional" I guess.
    Thread necromancy! But I came across some video clips from a guy teaching in Philadelphia who claims that his teacher was a student of Yoshida Kotaro. He sounds and looks like he knows what he's doing, and the work looks authentic. I have felt a bunch of guys in aiki jujutsu and been to a few seminars. I'd drop some change to see what this one has.




  4. #24
    slamdunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,375
    Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klutz View Post
    I'd drop some change to see what this one has.
    What it has is a very compliant attacker (crash-test dummy). The beards are, however, way cool.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    66
    Style
    shin nagari
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    now that's bullshito!! The teacher is making 3 moves to the attacker's one move. And what planet is this guy from? What attacker would throw just one punch, and wait to see that happens. He gave a demo in Atlanta? I hope one of the millions of homeless crack head pan handlers down there attack this clown.

    Ya, I agree. Cool beard!!

  6. #26
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    10,885
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have other threads with Mr. Beard aiki guy...related to another group of aiki-posers who we took a look at here as well.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    46
    Style
    Old School MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the beard is worth points.
    The compliant uke, well, it's a seminar class from the looks of it, and the teacher is teaching technique, not doing street apps. So, I don't take away points for that. It's not always about showing the apps, sometimes it's trying to point out concepts.

    I have been hands on with guys who do the kind of stuff he is doing. He is using the stuff the daitoryu guys and Chinese bagua guys call internal power. Was told it comes from moving with the muscles in a different way inside the body, That's why it got my attention.

    I saw the old stuff with this guys ex-students. They are from another planet. I think what this guy does is legit but unusual. The stuff his ex-student is up with though. That looks like total bullshido.

    If I get a chance to go to one of this guy's seminars, I'll report back.
    Last edited by Big Klutz; 11/26/2015 11:28am at .

  8. #28
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,971
    Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    We have other threads with Mr. Beard aiki guy...related to another group of aiki-posers who we took a look at here as well.
    I must have missed that thread or my memory is not what it used to be.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    46
    Style
    Old School MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    I must have missed that thread or my memory is not what it used to be.
    Here's one of them. http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23836

    My understanding is that this is one of Salahuddin Muhammad's former students David Falcaro. Muhammad's name used to be Edward Smith, and the ex-student trained with him a while and then wanted to go start his own system and be the "soke." So Smith seems to have given the dude what he wanted, a ceremony that is on Youtube and a certificate. But it's not a certificate in Smith-Muhammad's system. It's for the new one that the ex-student fabricated from what looks like some kind of ninjits-jujitsu mixture. I think his ex-teacher was just trying to make the separation between them more diplomatic.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    754
    Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klutz View Post
    Yeah, the beard is worth points.
    The compliant uke, well, it's a seminar class from the looks of it, and the teacher is teaching technique, not doing street apps. So, I don't take away points for that. It's not always about showing the apps, sometimes it's trying to point out concepts.

    I have been hands on with guys who do the kind of stuff he is doing. He is using the stuff the daitoryu guys and Chinese bagua guys call internal power. Was told it comes from moving with the muscles in a different way inside the body, That's why it got my attention.

    I saw the old stuff with this guys ex-students. They are from another planet. I think what this guy does is legit but unusual. The stuff his ex-student is up with though. That looks like total bullshido.

    If I get a chance to go to one of this guy's seminars, I'll report back.
    Looking at those videos, it's hard to imagine anyone thinking what that guy does it 'legit.'

    That whole jab/cross response in the 2nd video... Honestly you'd have to have no sparring experience to think there's even a remote chance something like that will work.

    People don't just fall over when you tap their arm, no matter how much you 'sink.' That kind of silliness is no different than chunners or ninjers.

Page 3 of 12 First 1234567 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO