Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shibayama's Newaza: 39 cool mins of judo ground fighting

Because of a discussion in a different thread I googled for videos of old judo newaza and found this:

https://youtu.be/FUHl9eIFhPs

It is in black and white so I assume that it is quite old, but I have no idea of how old it is.

It is a very good video in my opinion, both because of the techniques (some basic, some less so) and because of the phothography (they have some shots from below the floor, probably using a glass floor, which is very cool).

Looking at this video, while they often use the legs to control the opponent, they clearly are not uing the "guard" as a strategy, as judo ground fighting is built on the idea of staying on top of the opponent, not controlling him from below [yes I'm a loyal underling of Captain Obvious].

I really liked this video and initially I tought to post it in the "advanced grappling" forum, but then I saw that that is mostly about BJJ, so I posted it here.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The video.

Style
    hapkido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent find. Have not visited TMA bullshido forum much, still no link from main site. WTH

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    Because of a discussion in a different thread I googled for videos of old judo newaza and found this:

https://youtu.be/FUHl9eIFhPs

It is in black and white so I assume that it is quite old, but I have no idea of how old it is.

It is a very good video in my opinion, both because of the techniques (some basic, some less so) and because of the phothography (they have some shots from below the floor, probably using a glass floor, which is very cool).

Looking at this video, while they often use the legs to control the opponent, they clearly are not uing the "guard" as a strategy, as judo ground fighting is built on the idea of staying on top of the opponent, not controlling him from below [yes I'm a loyal underling of Captain Obvious].

I really liked this video and initially I tought to post it in the "advanced grappling" forum, but then I saw that that is mostly about BJJ, so I posted it here.
    You really don't understand either Judo nor BJJ, do you ?

Thanks for posting the video though. Some older school judo with old rules is a great contrast to modern Judo competition.
    Last edited by BKR; 10/28/2016 4:01pm at .
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post

Thanks for posting the video though. Some older school judo with old rules is a great contrast to modern Judo competition.
    It's funny, when I visited the pure Judo club the other day,
    they had a few rounds of "Judo newaza randori" before the standing Randori.
    I was intensely concerned during the Judo newaza randori to not do anything
    offensive to the partners I was paired with,
    i.e. by accidentally reverting to techniques out of habit that are illegal under Judo newaza rules.
    To resolve that worry, I mostly grappled in a very cooperative manner without real submission offense.

Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    It's funny, when I visited the pure Judo club the other day,
    they had a few rounds of "Judo newaza randori" before the standing Randori.
    I was intensely concerned during the Judo newaza randori to not do anything
    offensive to the partners I was paired with,
    i.e. by accidentally reverting to techniques out of habit that are illegal under Judo newaza rules.
    To resolve that worry, I mostly grappled in a very cooperative manner without real submission offense.
    Oh, posh, you could have just limited it to chokes and armbars.

Oh wait, you are a highly trained leg-locking, neck-cranking machine, wrist-locking machine...

What Bill really means is he got pinned and couldn't escape to wreak havoc on anyone...

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, posh, you could have just limited it to chokes and armbars.

Oh wait, you are a highly trained leg-locking, neck-cranking machine, wrist-locking machine...

What Bill really means is he got pinned and couldn't escape to wreak havoc on anyone...
    Damnit...pinned again.

Style
    Kodokan Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Damnit...pinned again.
    Karma for ignoring your honey-dos...

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Some 15 years ago I began judo, and I thought: I really like this thing, but I don't understand it. I'll stick with judo until I'll understand it. I'm still doing judo, I understand it a bit better but far from completely, and I still like it.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    Some 15 years ago I began judo, and I thought: I really like this thing, but I don't understand it. I'll stick with judo until I'll understand it. I'm still doing judo, I understand it a bit better but far from completely, and I still like it.
    The key to Judo is the drinking after.