Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2007 7:17pm

Style: Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Does Judo have value?

What is the general consensus of Judo as a Martial Art / Sport?
    This is a new forum for me and I am just wondering what people think of Judo as a whole. I know that people have always been interested in Judo's Tachiwaza (Standing Techniques) and it's attachment to BJJ and Newaza (Ground Techniques). What are people's beliefs and disbelief's about Judo and it's effectiveness.

Just interested in some peoples opinion about the subject.

Train Hard, Stay Safe,
    Good Luck

The Long Island Training Triad.
    Combat Judo
    Scarola BJJ
    Red Boy BJJ

Posted On:
    12/22/2007 7:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I assume you mean effective for self defense?

- The throws can injure people directly, particularly on hard surfaces.

- The throws set you up for dominant position on the ground which you can then use to injure an arm or to strangle.

- You learn posture to prevent being thrown and defense against throws which someone might try to use instinctively.

- The highly athletic training will enable you to tolerate the lactic acid buildup in the muscles during a fight and go for longer than an unconditioned person.

- The sparring gets you used to adrenaline and teaches aggression.

- You learn escapes from positions like mount, side control ect. If you end up on the ground in a self defense situation your opponent is on top then he will be in something similar to one of these positions, whether he knows it or not.

The limitations are pretty obvious but anyway:

- No defense against strikes.

- No training in strikes.

- Techniques have to be modified for use without gi (or clothing equivalent).

- No weapons.

- No multiple opponents.

- No training in th3 d33dly foul tactics.
    Last edited by Virus; 12/22/2007 7:56pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2007 8:18pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For all the reasons Virus listed. Judo also mixes well with other MAs. If one were to mix Muay Thai or San Da or Kyokushin etc. with Judo they would be exceptionally well rounded. Judo mixes well with other grappling styles as well. It can only make your BJJ, Sambo, wrestling, or whatever better. When people complain about the limitations of Judo, they just aren't using their imaginations enough when training. You can train it without a gi. You can train with Kosen rules and get tougher on the ground, you can train it as self defense by figuring out how to best block strikes and fit in to throws... it's really limitless. And as the older, conservative generations of senseis retire, the younger, more open minded guys who cross train will influence Judo and it will hopefully grow into something more people will be interested in doing.

Posted On:
    12/22/2007 11:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76
    For all the reasons Virus listed. Judo also mixes well with other MAs. If one were to mix Muay Thai or San Da or Kyokushin etc. with Judo they would be exceptionally well rounded. Judo mixes well with other grappling styles as well. It can only make your BJJ, Sambo, wrestling, or whatever better. When people complain about the limitations of Judo, they just aren't using their imaginations enough when training. You can train it without a gi. You can train with Kosen rules and get tougher on the ground, you can train it as self defense by figuring out how to best block strikes and fit in to throws... it's really limitless. And as the older, conservative generations of senseis retire, the younger, more open minded guys who cross train will influence Judo and it will hopefully grow into something more people will be interested in doing.
    Cool post. We sometimes do some no-gi and last time I saw my coach he mentioned an upcoming judo comp which will use kosen rules (can win by ippon, and no standing up of fighters).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 12:12am

Style: Shotokan, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At what age would you say it is not advisable to start Judo? I am 42.

Also, what are the age levels for competition? I have 2 boys ages 12 and 13. Is there a senior novice division for old geesers like myself?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 12:40am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes there is a senior novice division at most tournaments, usually local and regional. National tournaments are for brown belts and up. If you are 42 and in good health and pretty flexible I would always recommend trying Judo. Learning to fall is the biggest obstacle for most people starting out. It's awkward and unnatural, but crucial for longevity in the sport. Just try to relax and not stiffen up when falling, or throwing for that matter. Get your sons involved, too. They have many age brackets of competition, broken into weight and rank. Again it usually depends on how many kids sign up for a tournament to determine bracket sizes. I'm sure the all the Judo enthusiasts could go on and on about why you should check it out. Find a school, talk to the instructor, try a few classes... then report back.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 8:30am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think judo is one of the best base martial arts for anyone interested in MA. Can be heavy impact on joints but if you train well with good people and relax, then it does heavily reduce injury. In fact most injuries Ive seen are from when people have not been taught to fall properly (try stop a fall with their hand and break a wrist) or from not relaxing when being thrown.

I fell down a 30 foot cliff in newquay (england) and was told if I hadnt been drunk out of my mind I probaly would of died. Being relaxed allowed me to escape with some bruises and cuts, but semi unconscious in a puddle on the beach.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 8:42am

Style: Shotokan, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now would BJJ be considered in the same level of impact on body as Judo? Same age question now only in BJJ. Is 42 a tough age to begin? I would think flexibility is a key factor but may be less impact...whatta ya think?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 11:57am

Style: Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by krood1

Also, what are the age levels for competition? I have 2 boys ages 12 and 13. Is there a senior novice division for old geesers like myself?
    You could start Judo at 42 and not have a problem. I have a couple guys at my club that are starting really late and are advancing quite well. One 38, the other is 40 and very enthusiastic. You need to know your limitations and just train smart.

Train Hard, Stay Safe,
    Good Luck

The Long Island Training Triad in 2008!
    Combat Judo
    Scarola BJJ
    Red Boy BJJ

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 12:47pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by krood1
    As a 37 year old getting back into MA after a 20 year hiatus ...

Don't know what your level of fitness is, but if your like me the first couple of months will hurt. Don't push yourself to hard at the beginning or you will just get injured and that will slow you down more. After that you will get the stiffness out and start to feel great. If you never did it before, forward roll break fall will be a bit intimidating at first. I wasn't in the best shape when I started back. I have now added BJJ into the mix and that extra 15 lbs of fat I was luggin around is turning to muscle. Haven't felt this good since my early 20's.

And I don't think 42 is too old. We have at least three guys in our BJJ class > 40. One is a white belt (like me) and one of the toughest white belts in his weight class. The other two are instructors: black and brown belt.

As long as you in part-way decent shape - i.e. no cardio, bone, or joint related health problems, then age is not an issue. I just think the older you are the more urgent it is for you to start. Cuz each year you wait is one less year you will be able to train. Helio Gracie is in his 90's and still trains. He submitted leading judoka Masahiko Kimura in a famous fight in 1955 - when he was exactly your age.
    Last edited by Nihonto; 12/23/2007 12:52pm at .
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast