Sponsored Links Spacer Image

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/12/2008 2:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I think the gist of it is that the same volume of running work will give you the same results in terms of your ability to run, but if you do intervals instead of constant-paced stuff, you'll get better endurance in other activities as well. I still have some reservations regarding the assumptions made in the study, but to keep it simple, if you're getting your heart rate up, you're already halfway there.

If you can figure out your maximum heart rate (I'm not sure how - maybe someone else knows?), you can try out some of the interval patterns they used in the study, although the basic concept is fairly simple: go fast for a while, go slow for a while, repeat.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/12/2008 3:13pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    220 - age

= 178 bpm

I'll try the interval training idea and let you know how I get on.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    7/12/2008 4:16pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a preview of maffetone's book. I imagine it really depends on your goals, but heck, you can see what his stuff is like at least-

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&...m=10&ct=result
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/13/2008 8:50am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigander
    I stumbled upon some research thingy... that said that you build your body best at 90% heart rate over 4 minutes then rest.. It had to do with running, physical appearance and endurance.. I think the prinsipp could be applied to other types of training.. maybe you could try boost up your heart rate before doing a set.. run or something.

No dude. That's wrong. That's one way to up your metabolic conditioning, which is fine and dandy if that's what you want or need. There is no such thing as "building your body", at least not as a blanket, cookie-cutter, fit-all statement. It would certainly not be a good thing to do for bodybuilding proper.

Anyways, Dave, I'd say get the heart rate monitor if you haven't done it already. Something simple, nothing complex. At the very least, you can use it upon waking up, while still lying on your bed, to check your daily heart rate. If you see an increase of, say, 7-10 or above (or something like that, can't remember), from your average daily HR, it means you are close to overtraining (or about to get sick) and in need to deload or get some rest.

Also, it makes it more accurate to see your performance (and see if you are actually reaching target level of exhaustions) as opposed to going by feeling.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/13/2008 9:23am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ta mate..

Always appreciated

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2008 9:31am

Style: unemployed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy is going to Iraq so I doubt that he needs bigger muscles. I thought that the goal was higher energy/better endurance since he will be running around with a backpack, body armor, and a weapon of some sort and it is very important for him to be able to stay awake.
    Do you think that this kind of training can be good for that?

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/13/2008 9:55am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I need good muscle tone especially over my shoulders and arms, I will be carrying/wearing some heavy ****.

I've been on a weight training routine for some 9 weeks and already seeing results. I must confess my diet isn't perfect by any means but I've no intentions of 'living the life' of a fitness obsessed individual (no offence intended to those that are). Out in theatre we can consume upwards of 4-6k of calories per day and this is quite acceptable given the working routine and the physical nature of the job.

I'm fortunate that I can - until at least the 8th September - be in the gym almost every day for at least a couple of hours and thus far, I haven't felt overly fatigued or muscle stressed.

Truth be told, I haven't really an actual training plan or goal. I just exercise every day (and watch the eye candy whilst there lol)

~Ella Wheeler

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/13/2008 11:49am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy is going to Iraq so I doubt that he needs bigger muscles.
    That is debatable, and my point wasn't whether RA need muscles or not, but that your post had a certain number of flaws (trying to "build the body" using a protocol better used for metabolic conditioning.

I thought that the goal was higher energy/better endurance since he will be running around with a backpack, body armor, and a weapon of some sort and it is very important for him to be able to stay awake.
    That is still debatable (see his response to you). This isn't like a cookie-cutter solution that can be applied to every person dude.

At the end of the day, a person needs strength to do those things. Whether more muscle is needed, that depends on the individual. It won't matter that you have a superb gas tank and endurance if your frame (skeleton, muscles and ligaments) can't carry heavy **** for hours on end.

Again, what's needed depends on the individuals' needs.

Do you think that this kind of training can be good for that?
    You mean the training you initially mentioned? Certainly, it can help, for metabolic conditioning. Not for "building the body" as you originally asserted.

Have a great weekend everyone.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/13/2008 12:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Have a great weekend everyone.
    You too, dude. Also, get some sleep, for cheese' sake. The tripod of training is diet, rest and exercise, and four or five hours can't be doing you much good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2008 7:07am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape
    Truth be told, I haven't really an actual training plan or goal.
    That is the biggest mistake possible to make in weight training!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast