Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 9:34am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is sweat a measure of anything?

Of physical exertion? Or cardio usage? Calorie burn? Given that you're in a temperature controlled environment like a gym with minimal humidity. I ask because different activities cause different levels of sweating for me, and I've always wondered if it was representative of something.

Things i've noticed, I sweat more from cardio, even if I don't feel "as tired" vs a workout lifting weights. Deadlifts make me sweat more than any other weight lift, and I almost never sweat from doing benches at all.

Thoughts?

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 9:43am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is a good measure of an efficient cooling system and that you are well hydrated. Apart from that not really, although if you haven't broken a sweat in your workout chances are you are not working hard enough.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 11:47am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a measure of needing to change clothes.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 3:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha stinky sweat!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 3:36pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that you are getting hot and your body is trying to cool you down. thats all

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 5:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a measure of a few things, some obvious, some not so obvious.

-Obvious enough: You lose body water in sweat, so sweat is a partial measure of how much water you need to drink to replenish. (You also need to replace the water you lose in exhaled breath and urine)
    -Less obvious: You lose sodium in sweat. Running low on sodium leads to hyponatremia. Sweat can be a gauge of this too.

Assuming you're not dehydrated or suffering from some other health problems that affects your sweat patterns, sweat is also a measure of body temperature.
    -Obvious: The hotter your external environment, the more you'll sweat.
    -Also obvious: The hotter your internal environment, the more you'll sweat.
    --Corollary: Most of the chemical reactions that power your body are exothermic - that is, they release heat, usually as a waste product. More reactions per second = more internal heat = more sweat, so if you're sweating less doing something now than you were before, it may indicate that your body's operating more efficiently (which is usually good) or you're taking longer to do the same amount of work (which is usually bad).
    --Another corollary: Body fat can serve as a sort of insulation for the internal organs. Less body fat = less insulation = less sweat required to cool you down to a healthy internal temperature.

In terms of comparisons between weightlifting exercises, Exercise Power Outputs is instructive. Basically, output power = output work / time, and output work = weight * vertical displacement. The more weight, the further up the weight moves, and the faster it moves, the more power your body has to generate, and because your body is not perfectly thermally efficient, the more power your body dissipates as waste heat. Of course, in practice it's a lot more complicated than that.

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 5:13pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a sign that you're making an effort.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 5:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon
    It's a sign that you're making an effort.
    Screw that, no matter what I do I always sweat. I've ruined many a white shirt just from existing.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 5:55pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Screw that, no matter what I do I always sweat. I've ruined many a white shirt just from existing.
    Just wait until you get older. Wearing White/Light trousers wil be a problem cos after you leave the toilet, your prostrate starts to make itself known and you'll find you've a leakey faucet. We had a chap like that who we had to refer to the Occupational Therapist. Yep, surgery fixed that leak.

I can wait. :}

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 5:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Gi is normally soaking wet by the time we finish the warmup.

But then our class is in the basement with no ventilation
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast