Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/12/2008 10:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Lift heavier weights for less reps. Use a weight you can lift about 4 times. 2. Vary your workout routine to cause muscle confusion. 3. Start your week (or cycle) with a real heavy leg workout. these are your largest muscles and exhausting htem will put you in an anabolic state for the rest of the week. 4. As you start to notice improvement increase your time between workouts, this seems counterintuitive but you grow while you are resting. Most people decrease their rest time when they start to see gains and overtrain themselves into injury. 5. Relax. Getting big, cut, ripped, etc ultimately is not that important. Being healthy and strong is.

Posted On:
    7/12/2008 11:52am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, find a good whey protein you- one you can tolerate drinking. I use Muscletech Nitro-tech Hardcore in the 'triple chocolate milk shake' flavor. It's freakin delicious. Take it right after any good work out with a glass of milk.

You need to eat more often. Breakfast-noon-5pm isn't gonna work. I eat every 2-3 hours.

You should be having a nice solid breakfast with some eggs, whole wheat, or something, then a mid-morning snack (granola, peanut butter sandwich, fish, whatever), a good hearty lunch with some vegetables, then an afternoon snack way before dinner. I generally eat a meal at 7:00am, 10:00am, 12:00pm, 3:00pm, dinner at 6:00pm, and then stuff my face before I fall asleep every night. For me, if I don't eat before I go to sleep then I wake up the next day a couple pounds lighter and stuffing my face was all for nothing.

When your parents go shopping, have them get good snacks so you can take them around with you. Granola bits, unsalted nuts, fruit, etc., and just eat all day long.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/12/2008 12:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by This is Sparta!
    I use the Multipower Professional Double Protein Complex Egg-Potato Tabs. (Sorry, thought it was best to give full title/product description.)

First time I try, but find it ok until now. 120 pills per box, recommended 8 pills after training
    I couldn't find that specific product on their site (it seems to be having technical problems), and their description of Amino Whey Tablets doesn't include the serving size.

My homework assignment for you is this: Figure out how much protein (grams) there is in each tablet, how many tablets there are in a box (120, correct?) and how much the box cost (if you don't mind). Bonus marks for what kind of protein it is (based on the name, I'm going to guess egg albumin) and any other ingredients (potato has me scratching my head).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2008 2:34pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    I couldn't find that specific product on their site (it seems to be having technical problems), and their description of Amino Whey Tablets doesn't include the serving size.

My homework assignment for you is this: Figure out how much protein (grams) there is in each tablet, how many tablets there are in a box (120, correct?) and how much the box cost (if you don't mind). Bonus marks for what kind of protein it is (based on the name, I'm going to guess egg albumin) and any other ingredients (potato has me scratching my head).
    probably a gram or two max per tablet. Its likely an amino acid supplement and NOT meant to help attain protein gram intake goals.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/12/2008 2:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy
    probably a gram or two max per tablet.
    Yeah, unless they're horse pills.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy
    Its likely an amino acid supplement and NOT meant to help attain protein gram intake goals.
    See, I find that silly. Not you, but the supplement manufacturers who are trying to convince people that they should be paying out the nose for particular amino acids, rather than just topping up on proteins with an amino acid profile that includes them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2008 3:01pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Yeah, unless they're horse pills.

See, I find that silly. Not you, but the supplement manufacturers who are trying to convince people that they should be paying out the nose for particular amino acids, rather than just topping up on proteins with an amino acid profile that includes them.
    I do agree with you that if you are supplementing with a quality protein supplement (like ON Gold Standard Whey) further amino acid supplementation would be a waste of money (IMO).

Hopefully ThisIsSparta understands that he cannot effectively replace whey protein shake (powder) supplements with pills.
    Last edited by muddy; 7/12/2008 3:06pm at .

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/12/2008 5:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just got in thirty pounds of ON's stuff, and yeah, it's decent. Tastes pretty good (I just mixed some Extreme Milk Chocolate and Chocolate Mint together - it was delicious), mixes easy, reasonable amount of protein by weight and per dollar... that's basically what I look for in a whey protein powder.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    7/12/2008 6:15pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with BudoMonkey- for the love of God, Rafe, EAT SOMETHING. Add some bran to your cereal and have at least two eggs or something in the morning. Milk is always good. Your lunch looks good but you want to always have it, none of this 'maybe I'll eat' stuff, man. I don't know how you survive, I love eating.

A good snack I've found is peanut butter + honey + banana sandwiches, washed down with cold, delicious milk. I tell people and they scoff, right up until they try them and realise the awesome that is these damn sandwiches. I recommend your folks get you some peanut butter, honey and bananas ASAP, and you have these as a snack or for when you can't get to your regular lunch or something.

Hey fellas, doesn't your metabolism slow down whilst your asleep and thus isn't eating before bed counterproductive? I was told that the energy intake before bed would end up as fat because it isnt' entirely burned, but maybe I'm wrong.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/12/2008 6:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic
    Hey fellas, doesn't your metabolism slow down whilst your asleep and thus isn't eating before bed counterproductive? I was told that the energy intake before bed would end up as fat because it isnt' entirely burned, but maybe I'm wrong.
    Yes, in that your metabolism slows down during sleep. No, in that it's not anywhere near that simple.

Your body can store carbohydrates as glycogen (in the liver or in tissue), and fatty acids as adipose fat, but there's no equivalent system for storing amino acids long-term (see: http://ull.chemistry.uakron.edu/genobc/Chapter_24/ ). Amino acids for repair and growth are going to come from one of three places:
    1) Food in your digestive tract
    2) Free-floating amino acids in your bloodstream
    3) Protein in your muscles
    Amino acids in your blood have a finite lifespan before they're metabolized for energy and excreted as waste - half an hour sounds about right, but don't quote me on that. Assuming you're smart and getting a full eight hours of sleep a night, that leaves seven and a half hours where your body needs protein to grow and repair itself. If you don't have protein sitting around in your small intestine being digested, it's going to pull amino acids from somewhere else - meaning your muscle. And we obviously don't want that.

In terms of energy levels, rather than protein, we get into the complexities of human metabolism. The first school of thought says "If I eat more, my body will have a surplus of energy that it'll store as fat." The second says "If I eat more, my body's metabolism will increase to burn off the extra energy." The truth is somewhere in the middle. It has a lot to do with insulin, blood sugar, hormone cascades, and all sorts of other very complex things.

Unfortunately, these days, kinesiology and nutrition are like a poker game, in that there are a lot of people at the table overplaying their hands to win a bigger share of the pot. Nobody wants to buy a book full of "We don't know", "There's conflicting evidence", and "This is what happens, but we're not sure why"s, but that's honestly where the state of the art is sitting right now. I might write a post and go into this in more detail if anyone's interested.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    7/12/2008 7:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get those nice cerial bars (GletscherKrone from Lidl) this **** is great and you can eat them as little snack, I throw them in like candy to keep my weight from dropping.
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast