Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 7:37am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ over 40.

I had this over in Gitmo but didn't get any responses so I will try it here.

Has anyone seen Roy Harris’ ‘BJJ OVER 40’ DVD, and what did you think of it?

I am a 9 month white belt in BJJ and 54 years old. Luckily, thanks to genetics I am one of the bigger and stronger people in my school (6’1’’ and around 240 and dropping). However, I have come to the realization that I am also one of the slowest and the bad knees and arthritis don’t help.
    The instructors are great and work with me on adjusting what we learn and I have to admit I am not bad at rolling (not great either) for my level. I was just hoping I could find something that focuses on the older grappler, how to adjust your game and strategy for your age, and some techniques that are better suited to a slower game.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

BTW, I did a search and found nothing on this DVD, other than it exists.

Also, any of you grapplers (older or otherwise) who have words of advice I look forward to hearing it.

Big Mike.

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 8:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're a big guy but you don't really have the speed that the other guys do. Maybe work on maximizing the weight you press on your opponent? Be patient and crush them like a bug, put all that weight on them and wait for the opportunity.

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 8:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That works, I have used it on occasion, and had it used on me by this one monster in my class, but if I crush all the smaller people when rolling then they don't want to roll with me any more. And after rolling with said monster (6'3'' 320+ and can bench press a Volkswagen!) I understand why. :laughing9

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 8:19am

Style: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    You're a big guy but you don't really have the speed that the other guys do. Maybe work on maximizing the weight you press on your opponent? Be patient and crush them like a bug, put all that weight on them and wait for the opportunity.
    That's what all the old fogies at my academy do.

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 9:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    That works, I have used it on occasion, and had it used on me by this one monster in my class, but if I crush all the smaller people when rolling then they don't want to roll with me any more. And after rolling with said monster (6'3'' 320+ and can bench press a Volkswagen!) I understand why. :laughing9
    Had that problem also. You may just have to get used to rolling with the monster most of the time. In which case, be extra-careful of your knees, etc.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 9:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you doing gi or no-gi?

I prefer gi because I have been working on my pistol grip on peoples sleeves and can slow down and control the younger guys better that way, especially with spider guard.

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 10:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    Are you doing gi or no-gi?

I prefer gi because I have been working on my pistol grip on peoples sleeves and can slow down and control the younger guys better that way, especially with spider guard.
    We are doing mostly gi. The extra handles make it a lot easier to play a control game. In addition one of the other oldsters is a former judo brown belt and he has shown me a lot of interesting gi chokes. I use this a lot, not as much as submissions, but as distractions and ways to take people out of their game. If they are focusing on what I'm doing there not attacking. The fact that I will get an occasional sub with them helps keep them honest also.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 10:04am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my buddies is 52 and a purple under Roy Harris. He started training when I think he was like 42 or 43? Anyways, his top game pressure is ridiculous, when he rolls with the younger bucks he just is more patient, lets them tire themselves out by keeping just busy enough to force them to be 10x as busy and then goes to work.

Or when he rolls with me, just hands me my ass right away. Because I suck, I'm in poor shape and he's really good.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 11:52am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to be one of the bigger guys in my class usually (230lbs) and I'm quite comfortable on top, but have really been working my bottom game for the past 8 months or so. I still suck at it and it is extremely frustrating...but I feel like I'm cheating when I just lay on top of a smaller guy when we roll.

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 12:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw
    I tend to be one of the bigger guys in my class usually (230lbs) and I'm quite comfortable on top, but have really been working my bottom game for the past 8 months or so. I still suck at it and it is extremely frustrating...but I feel like I'm cheating when I just lay on top of a smaller guy when we roll.
    LOL, same here. My guard game has improved alot in the last couple of weeks. I quite trying for submissions, focus on hip movement and sweeps. Also, we have been doing a fair amount of stand-up lately and my long lost wrestling skills are returning. It has helped my bottom game because I am starting to get the idea that the bottom grip control game isn't that different than the standing game. Get your grip, unbalance your opponent, throw or sweep.

Life is good.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast