Page 11 of 36 First ... 78910111213141521 ... Last
    Style
    Ronin wannabe
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape
    In fairness I don't think his review was intended as a serious critique of anything other than the class he took.

Again in fairness to the OP, what he described is unfortunately an accurate description of much of what we see as aikido so, whilst he may not be experienced enough to present a definitive critique, his comments and observations are more or less spot on.
    This is my point, more or less (and thanks for the objectivity). It was IMO a decent write-up of that class and his observations. I don't think it should be viewed as a critique of the whole style, whether or not the OP meant it that way.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup.. of course people without direct or long term experience of the shite being taught won't know the difference unless like the OP they have some form of benchmark on which to base their opinions.

I've said this many times here before but given there's people who fail at using the search function, I'll repeat myself.

Aikido is ultimately no different in terms of purpose than Kendo, Iaido, or any other art which has no real use in terms of self preservation - the issue lay directly in the delusional states of mind which result from instructors telling their students that aikido can be a self defence orientated.

It’s like me telling my Kendo students - this will help you to fend off a mugger.

If anyone who studied kendo or any other such art came here spouting that sort of ****, I'd be jumping up and down on their posts as much as I do with eejits like "AikijustuBrit" Of course you never see that so it doesn't happen.

Aikido gets a bad rep for due reason - much of it stems because those who study it do nothing but LARP but expect (and state as much) that it’s effective in SD situations.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape
    In fairness I don't think his review was intended as a serious critique of anything other than the class he took.
    I'm all about the fairness, and I agree, the context at least suggests that his comment:

What I learned: Aikido is impractical, unrealistic, and based on flawed ideas of body mechanics and leverage.
    was specific to the one class he actually took. My point is simply that it would have been good tactics (re. being taken seriously as a critic) is he'd made that explicit, and put it into the context of his own relative inexperience. By generalizing his experience of one class in one style into a sweeping critique of Aikido as a whole, he damaged his own message.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By generalizing his experience of one class in one style into a sweeping critique of Aikido as a whole, he damaged his own message.
    Yeah.. ok I would go with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The OP
    What I learned: Aikido is impractical, unrealistic, and based on flawed ideas of body mechanics and leverage.
    Although the comment about "flawed ideas" is inaccurate and biased to just one perspective.

Again; if someone were to say that kendo is impractical, unrealistic and based on flawed ideas, I'd have to ask for the context in which that assumption is based because, between kendoka the principles of the system are perfect for what it is. If that context was based upon self defence, I'd have to laugh in their face.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're talking about an art that actually advocates fiddling with wrists and trying to clothesline larger, stronger and more aggressive attackers, who will then just give their back and allow themselves to be pinned. Anyone that can sit on a toilet seat the right way can make sense of the equation: aikido = the sux0r.

Style
    Ronin wannabe
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    We're talking about an art that actually advocates fiddling with wrists and trying to clothesline larger, stronger and more aggressive attackers, who will then just give their back and allow themselves to be pinned. Anyone that can sit on a toilet seat the right way can make sense of the equation: aikido = the sux0r.
    Wait...what?

Do you have DID, or did someone hack your account? Cause I could've sworn you just spent the past 9 pages talking about how the OP shouldn't draw the conclusion that Aikido sucks.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    Wait...what?

Do you have DID, or did someone hack your account? Cause I could've sworn you just spent the past 9 pages talking about how the OP shouldn't draw the conclusion that Aikido sucks.
    Successful troll is successful.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you remove bracelets and watches before engaging in wristgrabbery?

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    aikido = the sux0r.
    Welcome back, ninjer.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I noticed that my troll wasn't going so well. Nobody is really going to believe I've been aiki-converted.

Page 11 of 36 First ... 78910111213141521 ... Last