Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/20/2002 1:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So are the opponent's though. I believe the link said it was the Lightweight division. By the way, BS with the all groundfighting has to be bjj. Fighting in different positions is all about application of principles to a novel situation. You can nikkyo or sankyo someone while lying on the ground, does that make it bjj? I don't think so...

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    10/20/2002 1:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL....this is comedy.

"The only "ancient" art that's worth a damn is Wrestling.
    Pretty much everything else that is called "ancient" is just masturbation without touching your genitals." -Phrost
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    10/20/2002 2:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to see the fight. How much praying mantis did he use. I have done TKD before, if I entered a MMA and grabbed the guy threw him, then choked him out, then would that be a win for TKD?
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2002 3:45pm

Style: BJJ and MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His opponent is wearing long pants for christs sake.

Posted On:
    10/20/2002 5:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to say BJJ isnt the only system that uses arm bars or fight from the ground. So does judo and many styles of jujitsu. Arms bars etc. exist in a number of styles here and there but not as extensive as in BJJ. Does anyone remember the scene in "Enter the Dragon" where Bruce uses an armbar on some guy on the floor?
    As for Chinese martial arts there are some pretty good systems for fighting like the various styles of shua chiao. Just to add another thing the modern Chinese military dont usually practice traditional martial arts with the exception of shua chiao and a few other arts. The Chinese military systems stems from mainly kung fu sources but in a realistic and practical format. no forms or any other nonsense just techniques.
    Its hard to say what the modern Chinese military arts are compare too. Its not like the "Russian System" taught to Russian special forces nor is it like the system taught to special forces in North America. I supoose its all based on the combat experiences of each country. The Russians with WW2 and Afghanistan. Americans with WW2 and Vietnam. The Chinese with the KMT and Japanese forces in WW2.

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    10/20/2002 10:12pm

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Chinese police forces drill kata and they are probably the most feared law enforcement orginization in the world.

Cast in the name of God. Ye not guilty.
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    10/22/2002 6:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they do use 'kata' (japanese term) then it's probably for the convenience in training large groups of people at the same time.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Titan

Posted On:
    10/22/2002 7:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fact he had to "Pass Gaurd" in the first place proves BJJ's fucking point.

I don't care if he used the Mystic Ninja Flying Ki Powered Praying Mantis Ippon Saki Naki Gaurd Pass, he still had to pass gaurd.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/22/2002 7:30am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >The fact he had to "Pass Gaurd" in the first place proves BJJ's fucking point.

What point and how was it proven because he had to pass the gaurd?

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Titan

Posted On:
    10/22/2002 8:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ummm well , the fact that he was in his opponents gaurd and had to pass.

He didn't use his "Praying Mantis Kung Fu" to pass gaurd.

It is not about Style, it is about finding the most efficient way to do something, BJJ will show you the most efficient way to fight on the floor, to use the gaurd, to pass the gaurd, to mount, to hold side control, to submit. The guy may have used some strange method to pass gaurd, but he still passed gaurd.

One of the best things I've ever heard anyone say about groundfighting was -

"If you do not have a good gaurd, or the ability to achieve it. You have two choices in a ground fight.... dominate completely or, lose."

I just threw that in for the hell of it.

Edited by - slj on October 22 2002 08:15:13
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast