Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/10/2008 11:32am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, none of the cardio is intervals. He's probably getting more work done in everything BUT the cardio sessions as far as metcon.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2008 1:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD, FMA, Sub. Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, and here I was about to say something to the effect of 'damn, no shin splints for me'...
    But ah... intervals? I usually run for 2.5 and walk for 1, if that's what you mean, otherwise could you please elaborate so I could get a ...uh, less damaging workout?

Posted On:
    7/10/2008 2:50pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shorter rest, with high intensity, rinse and repeat. I thought you were running at one steady pace the whole time(which would be very little good for you). Any kind of high-intensity is probably going into involve ditching the vest if you want to run.

You don't neccesarily need running for your cardio stuff though. Anything where your muscular endurance wont' give out before you gas will do(swimming, rope, bodyweight squats, jumping jacks).

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/10/2008 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Care to elaborate?
    I don't really know how to do so any more than that. What in particular?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/10/2008 4:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    ... it runs counter to the idea of how the body works (as a whole, rather than a series of individual muscles)...
    I'm familiar with this part, but not in the context of split workouts. Where I've seen this reasoning is in the context of isolated vs. compound exercises. It applies there for two main reasons that I'm familiar with:
    -You're less likely to neglect muscle groups with multi-joint, non-restricted movements than with a comparable volume of isolation exercises.
    -Multi-joint, non-restricted movements require (and usually serve to develop) co-ordination, some of which transfers to similar activities.
    But neither of these have to do with how the given exercises are scheduled (same vs. different workouts).

Now, given that each given muscle group has limits in terms of how long it takes to recover and how much volume it can produce in a workout, full-body workouts have one feature that I tend to take advantage of: cycling between non-overlapping exercises gives a given muscle group time to rest while other muscle groups are still being taxed = greater volume or less wasted time during a workout. These benefits can still be realized in a split workout, though, so long as the split isn't excessively specific (it's possible to alternate two non-overlapping "pull" exercises, but not two non-overlapping bicep exercises).

Again, though, I might be missing something.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/10/2008 4:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't quite see how one can accomplish a muscle group split without use of isolation exercises. I agree it's possible to design a push/pull split of effective compound movements, or an upper/lower, but not one actually based on muscle groups.
    "Emevas,

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/10/2008 5:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The bulk of splits I've seen are, in fact, push/pull and upper/lower. One strength/conditioning coach I knew built a six-way split, but all I remember about that is: 1) there were about six exercises in a row for each muscle group, 2) it was very tiring, and 3) he did integrate compound movements into it, so you'd wind up using a given muscle in multiple days of the split (one workout as prime mover, a few more times as a synergist/stabilizer).

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/10/2008 5:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, like I said, a push/pull has applicability. An upper/lower would prolly still be tricky to work into the training schedule of a martial artist. A full blown muscle group split would just be impossible to work with.
    "Emevas,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2008 1:09am

Style: Judo, Wrestling, Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Ditch your current resistance routine until you get access to either a gym
    Perform trainforstrength.com workout 1 until you can get these things.
    I do that and I love it.(thanks again for showig it to me BTW) Its a full body work out. I wake up at 5AM every other morning and I alternate between work out 1 and 2, plus add in one of the other work outs. My doctor was so impressed with the results of this combined with a healthy diet, that he will be recomending this to some of his patients.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 4:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD, FMA, Sub. Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, finally got a bench, a full weight set, a new heavy bag and pull-up bar. Over the past couple weeks it feels a lot better to just work on every muscle in a given workout like recommended--working on the back seems to have helped me out already although it won't fully develop until later. Thanks for the advice Emevas, it seems there is a lot that could be lost even in punching power if you neglect the trapezius and lat-dors. Now I need a hammer and a big freaking tire. D:

The vest... terrible for treadmill. Took it off before I gave myself shinsplints. Great for push-ups and pull-ups, or at least so far in my experience. I was going to check if ankle weights had the same effect as the vest while running, but am unsure at the moment as I'm really comfortable with my current routine (full-body workout on days 1, 3, and 5; cardio on days 2, 4 and 6 with half an hour of bagwork separate).

I start MMA classes soon, but I'm hoping to keep this workout separate and continue doing it on the offdays, at least the strength workout.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast