Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 6:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD, FMA, Sub. Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Workout for n00b all alone...

Well, basically I've been self-training for the past couple months, while looking for a decent or reputable school to go to (MMA or BJJ in particular, just the area I live in seems to lack anything really good...). I've taken about 5 years in traditional martial arts and a season crash course in boxing, which I like more right now. Between work and school, I really only do martial arts kind of casually, so far I've had at least enough time to devote about 1 hour a day, 6 days a week, which I am fairly comfortable with right now.

Being small, my goal at the moment is to try and put on more muscle and develop striking power. I'm looking for a school that can teach good grappling.

Anyway, here it is, with alternates for given days so I don't get too bored:

Monday-Sat:
    Warm-up: Range of motion exercises for 5 minutes, Shadowboxing for 5 minutes, skipping rope for 5 minutes only (15 min. total)
    Basics, combinations, footwork, sprawl drills 60 reps each - only 2 at a time per day (about 15 min. total)

Monday:
    Focus - Arms
    Ballistic push-ups with weighted vest (20 pounds)
    Free weight curls
    Military press
    Bench press
    Chest fly

*Alternates for Mon - Tricep dips, tricep extensions

Tuesday:
    Focus - Cardio
    Treadmill with weighted vest for 25 mins.
    Stretching (dynamic, static)

Wednesday:
    Focus - Legs
    Ballistic jumps with weighted vest
    Lunges with vest
    Squats with vest
    Calf raises with vest

*Alternates for Wed - Corded kicks

Thursday:
    Focus - Cardio

Friday:
    Focus - Abdominal
    Leg raises w/ ankle weights
    Sit-ups with weighted vest
    Standing knee raises w/ ankle weights
    Bicycle kicks
    Plank

Alternates for Fri - Medicine ball drops (on stomach)

Saturday:
    Focus - Cardio

Sunday: Rest

Almost all of the lifting type exercises I do there are usually in 2-4 sets of 12, but regardless I usually cut it down to be within an hour per day. I currently don't have a gym membership so the lifts I do are with free weights- only have 15's, 20's and 40's right now, but like I said, I'm not very strong so I'm just trying to get there, will buy higher weights as my body gets used to the ones I have now. Hopefully I can switch the cardio days eventually to skipping rope for 20-25 min. with a vest on--I get worn out a whole lot more via skipping rope than jogging, apparently.

I realize how weak I am now, but it's better than just sitting on my ass and doing nothing about it.

The equipment I currently have:
    Jumprope
    Medicine ball (12 lbs)
    Weighted vest (20 lbs)
    Ankle and wrist weights (10 lb. sets only)
    Free weights (15, 20 and 40 lbs)

Any suggestions or tips for good exercises to do at home without a gym or school would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ditch your current resistance routine until you get access to either a gym membership or a full set of weights. What you are doing right now is only damaging yourself.

Perform trainforstrength.com workout 1 until you can get these things.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 5:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Ditch your current resistance routine until you get access to either a gym membership or a full set of weights. What you are doing right now is only damaging yourself.
    I'd agree with getting a gym membership, but unless I missed something, I didn't see anything in particular in there that was actually counterproductive.... except maybe "Medicine ball drops (on stomach)" if that translates to "repeatedly dropping a medicine ball on my stomach".

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 5:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't find the fact that he has literally zero back work alarming?
    "Emevas,

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 6:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't find the fact that he has literally zero back work alarming?
    I'm giving you full credit for noticing that imbalance, and admitting that I didn't and should have. I was looking for an error of commission, not omission. I'm also agreeing that it's not a good idea to run an imbalance between chest work (pec flys, bench press, maybe push-ups) and upper back work (none). And I'm also agreeing that his equipment is inadequate for strength training (if it isn't now, it will be soon), and that he should join a gym.

That said, I think that imbalance is correctable. For example, he could add some good mornings with the weight vest to supplement the squats for his lower back, and add bent-over rows for the upper back. (I'm also skeptical as to how much damage he could do with the limits on his weights and volume, but that's just me making an excuse for missing the chest-upper back imbalance)

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 6:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fundamentally, the whole routine needs to be scrapped, as it has a ton of random movements thrown together mainly due to environment rather than for the purpose of obtaining a specific goal, and it would be much easier to stay the course of an established routine while still doing research and finding the means to get access to a full set of weights than trying to salvage what is up there.

It also is perfomed in the manner of a muscle group split, which really has limited value for the budding martial artist compared to full body work, as it runs counter to the idea of how the body works (as a whole, rather than a series of individual muscles). However, the muscle group split he outlined is really kinda misleading, as he put chest work into an arm day, but still.
    "Emevas,

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 8:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD, FMA, Sub. Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, after reading your first reply, I went to the site that you suggested and am doing that right now while checking out schools this weekend. It's a routine that I can get fairly comfortable with right now--but actually, I think I know what you mean... did a little research and read something to the effect of working out the agonist more than the antagonistic muscle can lead to decreased striking power (which would be counterproductive to the goal of being a martial artist)? I scrapped it (kept the cardio for now) as you suggested as I don't want to build the wrong muscles or break my back or anything.

Anyway, do you feel that the vest would be damaging to use during the regular / triangle pushups from the workout you recommended or even treadmill work described in the first draft?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 8:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's fine for those kind of movements, but I wouldn't run with it on personally.
    "Emevas,

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    7/10/2008 12:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's with everyone doing crazy super specific routines/lifts in extremely specific workouts? Unless you already have a strength of base and are conditioned to lift daily (chances are you're not) then you really should be that kind of crap. This isn't specific to the OP, but I see a lot of routines like that.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/10/2008 11:13am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It also is perfomed in the manner of a muscle group split, which really has limited value for the budding martial artist compared to full body work, as it runs counter to the idea of how the body works (as a whole, rather than a series of individual muscles).
    Care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by KITAmaru
    Anyway, do you feel that the vest would be damaging to use during the regular / triangle pushups from the workout you recommended or even treadmill work described in the first draft?
    If it's causing issues with push-ups, it's because your body isn't ready for the extra weight, and you should know pretty much right away. The issue with wearing it while doing longer, more aerobically-oriented activities (like the treadmill) is that the extra weight will put more stress on your joints, particularly your knees, which is not what you want in that particular situation. In aerobic work, you're trying to stress your body's energy-delivery systems, not your cartilage.

Incidentally, on the subject of vests... In addition to jumping rope with a weight vest on, sprinting up a hill (or stairs) with a weight vest would be killer (in the good way). Extra resistance without imbalance - just mind your footing.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast