228394 Bullies, 4175 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Arkansas MMA Fans Trolled by "Borat"

Is there any reason why the MMA event going community would be singled out for a fake MMA cage match that exposes their value system? Would you fall for it too?

Arkansas fight fans fall for Baron Cohen stunt

JON GAMBRELL

The Associated Press
    July 8, 2008 at 6:20 AM EDT

Little Rock, Arkansas — Crowds in Arkansas came for the lure of cage fighting and $1 beer, but police say what they got instead was men ripping each others' clothes off and kissing — a stunt suspected of being orchestrated by Sacha Baron Cohen of Borat fame.

“We had a contract for cage fighting. We were deceived,” said Dwight Duncan, president and CEO of Four States Fair Grounds in Texarkana, where the first of two Arkansas fights raised suspicions last month.

Matt Labov, a Los Angeles-based publicist for Baron Cohen, said he had no comment Monday about the faked fights. One of Baron Cohen's movies is due out next year.

The day after the June 5 Texarkana bout, Fort Smith's convention centre hosted “Blue Collar Brawlin.”' Fort Smith police Sgt. Adam Holland said organizers told him a character named “Straight Dave” would goad a planted audience member into the ring for a fight.

The two men would then wrestle, rip away some of their clothes and share a brief kiss reminiscent of one between Baron Cohen and Will Ferrell in the film Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.

Producers said “there would be a romantic embrace,” Holland said. “They said it was kind of to essentially make fun, poke fun at wrestling — two guys rolling around on the floor, all sweaty.”

An elaborate array of mounted and handheld video cameras caught the crowd of 1,600's reaction as the two men “went right up to the line” of the city's morality laws, Holland said. The two men stripped down to their underwear, kissed and rubbed on each other, the sergeant said.

The audience, as well as local fighters drawn to take part in the show, became enraged. “It set the crowd off lobbing beers,” Holland said. “They had beers in plastic cups. Those things can get some distance on them actually.”

Holland said it took officers about 45 minutes to clear the convention center, as the two actors sprinted away through a specially set-aside tunnel.

Those in attendance were told by several signs on display that they'd be filmed, Holland said, and signed waivers before the event. Convention center sales director Karin Hobbs declined to name the event's sponsor Monday.

Baron Cohen became a national celebrity after his 2006 hit movie Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, in which he played a bumbling reporter from the Central Asia nation.

News of the faked cage fights comes as Baron Cohen is in production of a movie titled Bruno, named after the gay Austrian fashion reporter he developed for Da Ali G Show. Baron Cohen, in the guise of Bruno, often interviewed hapless subjects in the South.

If the cage match visits came from Baron Cohen, it wouldn't be the first time Arkansas fell for a practical joke. In 2000, then-Gov. Mike Huckabee fell for a prank and congratulated Canada for preserving its icebound Parliament, calling it a “national igloo.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...nletter_newsUp
    Attached Images  

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 2:07pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that **** is actually funny!

what minimal (if any) damage might be done to the rep of mma and wrestling, does not compare to the humor value of this joke.

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 4:16pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This excites me, because I now know Sacha is coming out with a new movie.

I cant wait to see the part where the cage fight happens.

(Reminiscent of the Borat v. Azamat fight perchance?)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 4:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's hilarious. Even more hilarious because it was done in Arkansas. The audience must have been pissed.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 6:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He should have enlisted Sensei Al Perry.

He would have had a bigger turnout.

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 10:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cohen is the world's best troll.

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 9:22am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish I'd been invited to fight on the undercard that night.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 9:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington
    I wish I'd been invited to fight on the undercard that night.
    I bet you and Lebell would have made a good "under"card fight. Its cool, be out and proud. :hello:

Posted On:
    7/12/2008 3:55pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As funny as this is, the whole idea was lifted from an old 1969 movie, "The Magic Christian" , where two boxers start kissing in the middle of their match.

Now, the only difference is that it was making fun of stuffy, upper crust Englishman (which Cohen is, basically), while Cohen's target is American rednecks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg84EvBPKQY
    Last edited by new2bjj; 7/12/2008 3:57pm at .
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Posted On:
    7/12/2008 5:34pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    As funny as this is, the whole idea was lifted from an old 1969 movie, "The Magic Christian" , where two boxers start kissing in the middle of their match.

Now, the only difference is that it was making fun of stuffy, upper crust Englishman (which Cohen is, basically), while Cohen's target is American rednecks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg84EvBPKQY
    Now I want to see this movie too!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast