Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 12:59pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because he doesn't know if you have control or not, or other newbs may see you applying leglocks, they might get it into their heads to do the same thing. They might not know what the **** they are doing however, and could hurt someone even if you are safe with them.

When instructing a larger group of people, it is easier to just make blanket policies. No leglocks for whitebelts. Rather than telling some whitebelts they can and others they can't. This would just lead to confusion and resentment from those that can't and from raw newbies.

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 1:21pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    New guys can be dangerous at any rate because they don't know how to properly measure how much force they are applying against their partners. I know a guy, a BJJ purple, who got his arm broken showing a new student how to do a basic armbar. The guy got into position, closed his hips, slammed his arm down, and -SNAP-, it broke right there.

Ankles/knees are especially easy to damage, so I can see the need for some rules like that to be in place.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 2:23pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJers are fairly hardcore about their belts. I lost my white belt once, and when my instructor found out, he looked at me like I just sodomized a box full of kittens.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 2:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both my BJJ instructors don't care about our belts. When I got my blue belt he didn't give me one. He just let me buy one haha.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 3:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kracker
    BJJers are fairly hardcore about their belts. I lost my white belt once, and when my instructor found out, he looked at me like I just sodomized a box full of kittens.

I have lost, approximately, 6 blue belts. This includes one that had "Not your fucking belt" and my name written in sharpie, in large letters.
    BJJers aren't "hardcore" about belts, you just look like the sort of guy that would sodomize kittens.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 3:01pm

Style: JKD and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually paid for my belt. The Gi came to like $130 with the belt.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 3:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And the rest of this thread is retarded.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 3:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ankle locks, heel hooks, neck cranks, KNEEEBAAAAAAAHs... whatever. There's no difference between what a white belt and a purple belt is allowed to do where I train.

Never had a problem with it, never seen anybody injured doing it in training.

The only issue is when you hit tournaments. Some restrict white belt levels quite a bit, so if some guys gets a single leg, and you counter with a rolling KNEEEBAAAAAAH... you're the man and on top of the world... right until the ref points out you're disqualified.

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 6:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    you are on your instructor's mats. his mats. his rules. he knows what he's doing and what he's talking about, you don't, and that's why you're paying him to remedy this. if he says no leg locks for white belts, then LISTEN TO THE MAN.
    I am quoting this throughout this site for a million years. Well said. Why don't people get this?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234