Do it!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 12:29am

Style: JKD and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire
    Never wash your belt!!!! If it starts to smell etc. use it as motivation to work harder so you can become a blue, purple, brown, or black belt faster. If you wash it you will wash away everything you learned. Use the search feature there are a few threads on this already.
    Nah, I just put it in the wash. I think that there is better things that can motivate me then a stinky belt. Besides, I really don't feel like getting a rash, staph or anything else and / or spreading such a thing. I live in a small house with 5 others too. I'm just not going to bring it up again and hope he doesn't notice, lol though he's a nice guy I'm sure he won't freak or anything.

As for the ankle lock don't uses them. The main reason why white belts usually aren't allowed to use them is that they don't know when to tap out or they put them on full strength and end up hurting their partner. With some ankle locks the pain starts after the damage has been done.
    Yeah, that makes sense. I actually was doing it as a counter as the other person tried to put it on for me first, but they forgot to put the other leg up, and when I was pointing that out, that's when the instrutor came over and said not to do it. I just never expected that from BJJ.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 12:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't wash it!!!! It will become discolored with use anyways so don't worry about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 12:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Done. :-)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 12:33am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eh... from what I know, I've seen very few leg based submissions taught in my BJJ class. Probably because we are nubs. But, so far, I know the knee bar and straight leg lock. I'm not sure if the straight leg lock is actually that useful. I think BJJ overall doesn't do much with the legs.

This is compared to a Sambo seminar that I attended, where they teach you all sort of leg locks. And those leg locks are painful.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 12:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I got lucky enough to learn a few bits here and there when I did informal submission fighting from people who knew Sambo, BJJ, Judo and even Catch (in fact his name was shovel and he is on bullshido); among other things.

I have some videos of Taktarov doing different heel/ankle/leg locks, so I've always wanted to try them more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 1:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't wash it!!!! It will become discolored with use anyways so don't worry about it.
    Since this is not a good reason to stop brushing my teeth, I think I will wash it. I once met a person who tried to convince me that brushing my tongue was bad for my taste buds. I would have figured it the other way around.

Marcell you idiot! Washing your BJJ belt is like Kakarot cutting off his tail!

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 1:08am

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never wash your belt!!!! If it starts to smell etc. use it as motivation to work harder so you can become a blue, purple, brown, or black belt faster. If you wash it you will wash away everything you learned. Use the search feature there are a few threads on this already.
    Dang! No wonder I never became a champion fighter!

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 7:55am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Washing your belt is an issue you can deal with by yourself. Obviously you dont want your belt's color to run and it shouldnt smell. If you want to wash it, go ahead. Not washing it is a tradition, but one of the biggest things BJJ did away with was tradition, so do what you will.

The leglocks is a separate issue alltogether. Beginners lack the subtle technique that more experienced practicioners do, and this can present a serious problem when applying leg locks. You're goal when training is to improve your skills and not neccessarily to tap out your opponent- a weird concept, I know, but you'll understand with time.

Now as to why they'd allow beginners do chokes and armlocks, but not leglocks...
    Chokes and armlocks are less devestating in terms of the long term damage they do. Dont misinterpret this as meaning less effective- it simply means that knees take longer to heal than elbows. Beginners are notorious for not knowing the limits of when to tap. If I apply a choke hold and you refuse to tap, you simply pass out. If the same happens with an armlock, it may pop one or two times before you tap, however this will fully heal within 2 months with no serious consequences. This does not apply to knee locks. Ligaments in your knees do not have as much blood supply as do those in your elbows, not to mention that they are weight bearing joints. As a result, any knee injury, regardless of how minor, is going to have long term consequences. A little pop in the elbow takes 3 weeks to heal, but a little pop in the knee could be your ACL or meniscus, which will not heal, will require surgery, and will take at least 6-8 months to heal.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 8:20am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As most people pointed out already in many bjj schools going for leg locks are off limits for safety reasons.

Also in many schools they are off limits because they want the white belts to really focus on the main dominant positions rather than falling back for ankle locks when you are in someones open guard.

Once you hit blue belt this is no longer an issue.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast