Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 11:22pm

Style: JKD and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ questions

OK, I'm a BJJ n00b and wondering about two things:

1.) Our instructor saw me and someone I was rolling with going for the ankle lock. I have a bit of experience from previous submission fighting. He stopped us and said because we are white belts we can't do this. WTF? The only reason I could see is that I've heard it could be dangerous to the person you are doing it to if you don't do it right.

2.) I washed my belt, and after hanging it out to dry it changed colour. It looks like someone pissed on it or something, or like it was burned. It's sort of a tainted yelowish brownish staining. Though it didn't happen to the Gi which is white and was hanging in the same place. I asked the instructor why this happen and he chastised me for washing the belt. He said something about your blood and sweat having to stay in the belt... So is this like just a BJJ tradition or what? And am I going to be stuck with a stained belt?

Thanks.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 11:47pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    t3h d34dly belt of bl00d is an old TMA myth, oft-repeated in karate circles, for instance. Personally, I wash my belt -- it may not be quite so close to my skin, but I sweat through my gi, I get other people's sweat on it, and it makes plenty of contact with the mats. I have no desire to leave it unwashed until the odour forces me to wash it. (Sacreligiously, I took to washing my karate belt too, back then...)

No idea about the discolouration. A crappy belt, maybe; a new belt shouldn't be more than about $5, if you can find a white one that doesn't just come bundled with a gi.

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 12:03am

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most places I've been too leglocks are off limits for white belts. Straight anklelocks are often ok, but depends on instructor discretion. Apparently he (your instructor) is not cool with them, so you know, don't be all "I do what I want" and try to pull your partners feet off.

Alternatively, ask your instructor on the proper way to do a footlock, and who knows, he may soften up and let you roll with those bad boys.

Wash your belt, wash your belt, wash your modaeffin belt. Its an old tradition, but staph don't care bout no old traditions.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 12:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never wash your belt!!!! If it starts to smell etc. use it as motivation to work harder so you can become a blue, purple, brown, or black belt faster. If you wash it you will wash away everything you learned. Use the search feature there are a few threads on this already.

As for the ankle lock don't uses them. The main reason why white belts usually aren't allowed to use them is that they don't know when to tap out or they put them on full strength and end up hurting their partner. With some ankle locks the pain starts after the damage has been done.

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 12:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also what's up guantanamo. Long time no se.

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 12:17am

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never wash my belt! And in my gym heel hooks and neck cranks are off limits to white belts. I did however catch one of the blue belts in a neck crank when I was new to the class forcing him to tap. He then informed me that we were not really supposed to do them in class.(stold my thunder) the instructor kind of laughed and gave him a hard time telling him not to get caught in neck cranks anymore, then taught both of us escapes from the submission I used. both him and the instructor were really cool about it.

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 12:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oop's sorry heel hooks = knee problems to amatures!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 12:22am

Style: JKD and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hrm, now if I wash it and the discoloration comes out I'm gonna look like a jerk and if i don't wash it I'll feel like a tool. What to do...

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 12:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also what's up lack of hygiene.

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 12:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!