Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tharuz
    I'm a lion, rawr!

>:3
    I'm an otter... a SEXY lil' otter!

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 2:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like on your head?

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 4:14am

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I honestly haven't competed since my Tang Soo Do days back in high school. I was OK, nothing special. Currently I am training with some local MMA guys, all of whom are amateur fighters, and with a high ranking Kajukenbo instructor who did full contact in his youth and has trained several really good fighters, including a few pros. He has said a few times that he could help train me for the ring, but right now I'm concentrating more on a street-fighting skillset.

Why don't I fight competitively? Two reasons. First of all, I just got back into MA after several years and am still dusting off the cobwebs. Second is a matter of liability. I am about to start a career in law enforcement and might be working in some tough neighborhoods. If I end up having to rough up a resisting suspect and have to explain myself in court, the attorney for the other side could tear me apart if they find out that I compete in MMA. There is still so much of a "human cockfighting" stigma among the general public that it could certainly be used to paint me as some sort of knuckle-dragging barbarian in the eyes of a jury.

If my ground game gets up to snuff I might consider doing some grappling competitions and the like, but I am not planning that far ahead right now. For the time being I will have to use sparring as a test of my skill.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2014 12:15am

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I loved competing, because that is the only time fighting really becomes a high-adrenaline game of wits… sparring comes close, but only competing gives you 100% of the power, effort, and intent of your opponent to trying to stop you from winning in a no-excuses scenario.

I've attended work with a black eye more than once (I worked in the corporate headquarters of a large financial institution at the time), and I discovered I was not invincible sometime in my early twenties… but what really made me cut back on taking punches to the face in competitions was when the medical community started better understanding brain damage and CTE over the last 10 years or so.

My brain pays the bills for me and my family. Besides that, it's not just a matter of math getting harder every time you eat a punch. It often leads to depression, irritability, speech difficulty, and all sorts of things we are still just starting to understand.

So… I love competing at 100%… but now only once in a while.

Posted On:
    4/13/2014 1:14am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For me to fight it would mean I need to go six days a week for twelve weeks leading up to the fight. Under the method we use to prepare for fights.

If I can't do that. (Which I can't)

Then I really should not be fighting.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2014 5:01am

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't I fight? Cause I don't feel ready, I haven't trained enough, not good enough. Least for full contact stuff. I had the chance to fight at a semi-contact comp last month but the job moved on and I had to move from the city. I don't know if I'll ever fight. I'm 23 years old I think my time as passed. I mean, most people here or pro fighters have been training basically from birth. Where as I started at 16 and even then it was on and off. Not trained seriously until maybe last month when I was at it 4 days a week open till closed. So chances of me ever being ready for a full contact competition is slim.

Honestly wish I'd have started when I was a kid. Though my parents took my older brother kickboxing till he gave it up after a few weeks. Didn't bother doing much with the rest of us. Took the wrong child, I love that ****.

Why would I complete.. Well to get the chicks obviously... ;)
    Last edited by Sovvolf; 4/13/2014 5:08am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2014 12:16pm

Style: Shotokan JKD Concepts BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my younger days I would compete with anyone anywhere, entered every competition available. We would even have our own versions of throwdowns. It was good practice to see if what we were doing was effective. Did some boxing for the VfW, found it a good way to train, to clear the brain fog that comes from the adrenalin rush.

Now in my "old age" I can't risk injury, work doesn't understand days off due to fighting, hell i've been injured during training sessions and had to suck it up and work to just keep my job.

My original instructor had to give up competing on a certain level after he showed up to teach his second grade class with a fat lip and school principal told him "that's not acceptable".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2014 5:39am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I try to compete once or twice a year. Its fun, feels good to have a team of training bros to cheer you on and the adrenaline rush is a blast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2014 2:24pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started training in the first place with hopes of someday being decent enough to try my hand at some amateur MMA or something and in general to defend myself and my future family. I have only competed a few times in Judo because of my busy schedule (Masters student). This was going to be the year I made time to get to a bunch of tournaments, but with my recent knee injury I am not convinced that is going to happen. Interestingly, Judo helped me quit smoking. That was a nice upside.

The reason I want to compete is a combination of testing my skills against opponents my size and skill level (a combo few a far between in my club) and the improvement in skill that comes with competition. I see the regular competitors making leaps and bounds of progress past those of us who are just recreational. I would still like to try my hand at MMA some day (or something similar like Pankration or Combat Sambo) but for now I am just focused on recovery and getting back to my Judo training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2014 3:28pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started Judo after watching my youngest son compete in his first tournament and take 2nd place for his division. That was 3 to 4 years ago and I competed as a novice with some success in local and regional tournaments. I have never competed in any national competition. Once I made Sankyu, I was no longer a novice and that put the fear of injury in me. I'm 6'1" and weigh around 210lbs (95kg I think is the weight class) and 38 yrs old. I have become paranoid of having to fight some college kid and winding up with a major injury. I still try to compete a few times a year though. Now I try to compete in Masters division. I figure even if the other guy throws me, he will do it with technique instead of power and I will have the chance to avoid serious injury.

Outside of injury the only thing keeping me from competing is cost. Get a membership for this organization and then pay your tournament fee on top of that just for the hopes of having more than 2 people counting you in a bracket.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast