Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 6:04pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why do you / don't you fight competitively?

I was speaking to a friend who attends an MMA class three times a week and something interesting came up.

Many people attend classes at his school, with no intention of ever applying their skills in competition. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it begs a couple of interesting questions.

Why would you want to fight (in the ring/cage/etc)?

Pressure testing your skills?
    The adrenalin?
    A love of the sporting aspect?
    Pent up rage?

For those of you who are not at all interested in fighting, why don't you intend to compete?

Is your martial art not one that promotes full contact competition?
    Do you not have enough time to dedicate to training?

Personally, I've been back in training for about two years now (following a couple years off due to an injury+life getting in the way), and in that time, I haven't really tested myself.

I have competed in a couple of sub grappling comps, and I have a Judo tournament next month, and a Sumo Match in October (lol). But it's not the same.

My old coach offered me an MMA fight later this year, and to be honest, I'm pretty keen, because frankly, I miss it. I miss the hard training (Wrestling and Judo both offer a hard workout, but it's not the same as fight prep), the anxiety, and the the confidence. I'd like to go back to training with my old coach, but I'm still really enjoying Wrestling and Judo.

So, what's your martial arts story? Why do you train? why do you/don't you compete? if you do compete, what in?

Sorry for the wall of text.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 6:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train because it keeps me from doing other stupid stuff. I hate when people say that people who train MMA are ****-heads ( ala antimma.com) because, before i trained mma and jits, i was a terrible person...Drugs, other, more personal information that none of you are privy to.

Training pretty much turned my life around. I stopped doing drugs, i started getting better grades, it gave me something to focus on, some sort of direction.

I compete/fight because one, for me, i like to test the skills i work so hard to acquire.

Secondly, i had a girl ask me this one time, "Why do you fight...it so violent" And, i couldn't answer, really. Sure, "Why train if you won't fight" is an alright answer, i guess, but, it isn't really that good.

Its just, you have one goddamn life to live, so why not try it? I mean, why not do one thing to set yourself apart from every other person in the fucking backdrop?

You know that feeling, when your walking, and you don't know anyone? Know what I'm talking about? When your not sure what to do with your hands? That feeling, like you don't mean anything, to anyone, like you don't matter?

Thats why i fight.
    Last edited by 3moose1; 7/07/2008 6:18pm at .

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 6:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with moose, a way to test my skill.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I competed in MMA because it one of the funnest thing I've ever done. I really want to do it again, once I get back into training after this brief hiatus, I'll probably be back in the ring/mat by January.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 6:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwdown0850
    I agree with moose, a way to test my skill.
    Wow, way to not read my post, idiot.

I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    I agree with moosey

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 6:45pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    Wow, way to not read my post, idiot.
    Way not to read your own post

I compete/fight because one, for me, i like to test the skills i work so hard to acquire.
    Those are " your skills."

To Old now. Mainly it was to see if what I did work. It did but, it rarely looked like what the "masters" wanted. To bad MMA wasn't big then as it is now. There was a point where Classical Martial Artists frowned on Muay Thai.

Heathens.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 6:54pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Way not to read your own post
    I know what i wrote, i am the one who typed it up.

However, that is by far not the most important reason, and i feel slightly insulted that a large portion of my post was over-looked

I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 6:55pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I compete in Judo occasionally. I like to test my progress and see if training new throws are paying off. But I wouldn't step into a cage because the risk/reward isn't good enough for me to justify walking into the office on Monday fucked up, or having to take time off to recover from getting K'dTFO. I will spar with 16oz gloves on every now and then, but again, I have to be presentable in a corporate setting.

I've gone to work with a black eye or an ice pack on an injury and have to explain why I do what i do in my free-time to people who will never understand. The worse is explaining that I got injured grappling and have a co-worker say, "you wrestle men? that's gay."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 7:01pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Moose, I do it as a way to unleash my fury, so that I don't unleash it on unsuspecting civilians like me and Moose did that one time. We'll never forget it. It changed us forever.

I fight competitively to test my skills out, but I also feel like I might not be really getting any better if I don't compete. It's really the only way to find a benchmark for your skills, unless you wanna pick fights in bars or whatever, and that's not my style.

But also, its really difficult to NOT want to fight when you train in one of the more combat sporty styles instead of a more TMA style. Training with other dudes that are all 18 to 24 in age who all want to fight is really infectious.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 7:09pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    I know what i wrote, i am the one who typed it up.
    Oh I see teenage angst.

However, that is by far not the most important reason, and i feel slightly insulted that a large portion of my post was over-looked
    Hahahahaha Thanks this part is really funny in an ironic sort of way.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast