Sponsored Links Spacer Image

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 10:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Teh El Massage-o

So, I wake up a week ago on Wednesday and can't move my neck. I could *feel* this coming on for a couple of weeks and tried to do what I could to prevent it. The genesis of this is:
    A few weeks ago I took over 100 throws onto an unmatted, carpeted floor and a week after, at a seminar, I took about two dozen throws onto the bare ground, all in the same spot, my right shoulder blade.

I developed a muscle knot deep along the spine of the scapula, I suspect the rhomboid muscle. I pestered my wife to give me back rubs nightly, put Tiger Balm and Tiger Balm patches and ThermaCare patches on there, tried the tennis ball myofascial release technique....nothing.

The knot caused stress onto my deltoids and trapezeus which caused the severe muscle guarding and finally, the tensing of my neck.

Now....I dislike going to the chiropractor, I've been like twice in 12 years. I consider myself fortunate that a guy I knew from High School, who was a very well-regarded wrestler, became a chiropractor. My opinion is:

his wrestling background makes him have a better knowledge of this type of injury and he dislikes "routine adjustments" and prefers to use heat, ultrasound and electronic muscle stimulation.

Anyhow, he tells to sit out of training for a week or so (which pleased my wife as I was planning on going that night) and has me come in for a couple stimulation treatments, 50% improvement after the first treatment, 100% after the second.

This brings me to my questions:

First, my wife has been suggesting I get a massage fairly regularly but I am not sure what is the best type to get. I am fairly ignorant and other then pestering her to rub my back, have never had one. No "erotic massage jokes" please, unless you are the hot female.

Second, my chiro offers "laser accupunture". I still have the knot on my shoulderblade and figure it will be there for a while as he stated "I have pretty severe guarding there". He would like me to take a couple more treatments to loosen the gaurding and attack the source. Has anyone had accupuncture for something similar and if so what was your result and does anyone know if one works better then the other? He hasn't suggested it, but the thought is in my head that accupuncture might be a good cure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 11:18am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JU, my chiro is a massage therapist as well. I had a similar one with a knot in behind my right shoulder blade that was actually causing my arm to be numb. I was thinking 'crap, bulging disk' etc.

Anyway, similar knot, therapist worked it every few days for two weeks and it was better... slowly. Tennis ball also wouldn't suck, roll on it on your back, on that spot (leather between teeth for screaming ;p). Hurt like a mother, but it did help the muscles release some as well.

Never done accupuncture/pressure, but it could work if it can make that muscle re-friggin-lax.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 11:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSL
    Anyway, similar knot, therapist worked it every few days for two weeks and it was better... slowly. Tennis ball also wouldn't suck, roll on it on your back, on that spot (leather between teeth for screaming ;p). Hurt like a mother, but it did help the muscles release some as well.
    I tried the tennis ball and oddly enough it made it worse. It was as if I was overworking it and felt like it was causing a deep-muscle bruising. I did hurt like a mother, but it wasn't that *good* hurt that you get when you can feel the blood flowing to that constricted part.

Never done accupuncture/pressure, but it could work if it can make that muscle re-friggin-lax.
    I am really curious about this and really want to try it, despite my dislike of needles. I fully admit first becoming curious about it after seeing that damn Seagal movie "Hard to Kill" but the idea of using pinpoint precission to open up that muscle just appeals to me.

I have also thought about getting my own ultrasound massager on E-Bay.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 11:41am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear you on the massager, I found one of those little hand-held light-up ones I'd gotten the wife for christmas and put it behind my back on the chair, seemed to help a bit but nothing was fast.

Maybe look up a massage therapist? Wish they could work on hematomas ;p, my leg still has a friggin half-tennis ball of blood pocket that they won't drain unless it becomes infected or painful ;p.

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 11:41am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Acupuncture works really really well, surprisingly. Surprising to me, at least, the first session I had. At the time I had severe inflammation in my knee due to a recurring injury, and I had pulled something in my lower back that wouldn't go away for weeks and weeks. The first session alone did FRICKIN WONDERS. The needles won't bother you at all, as soon as they get in there and start working their magic you'll be begging for more.

I'm always leery of chiropracters.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 11:43am

Style: Aikibujutsu, Shinkendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While it's not the same, a few months ago I jacked up the muscles surrounding the nerve bundle that controls my right arm. I made an appointment with a friend of mine who does Thai massage. While I have no scientific evidence that it helped, I suspect it did, and eventually I healed. Anyways, something to look at. If you go, tell them to concentrate on your back and really stretch that junk out.

Also, El Macho gave me some stretches and strengthening exercises that probably helped more than anything.

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 11:49am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been having a similar problem now for over two months. I believe it's aggravated by my poor posture at work. I've been to two massage therapists, and although they are expensive, I'd pay anything if the problem would go away.

The best thing I've done so far is, I got a hand held massager , layed it on the bed, and laid on top of that. It's a Homedic hand held massager, they're affordable. Homedics .com has them.

I want to get back into weight lifting, but I don't know if that will just aggravate the problem.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 11:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Budo:

during the accupuncture could you feel the muscle opening to the blood flow?

To the rest:

thanks for the insight. Were there any specific type of massage that you got that seemed better than another: the shiatsu, hot stone, sweedish?

Echo: what was the main concentration of the Thai massage?
    And I stretch out quite a bit, but will admit to doing a fair amount of concentration on stretching my legs and hip and should do more on my upperbody.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 11:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You do realize that if you keep allowing others to throw you onto unmatted surfaces, all the chiropracters and massage therapists in the world aren't going to be able to fix you, right?

My expert medical advice is this.... The next time someone wants to throw you on the floor, tell them to go **** themselves.

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 12:06pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. As soon as the needle taps in, you can feel the area relax and the blood flowing. It's really quite a sensation. After just a few minutes of it the pain and inflammation in my leg had subsided more than it had in years.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast