Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 8:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Didnt Spar For 6 Months & I Now Suck Again!

Hi!

Just thought I would share what happened.

I have not sparred striking for 6 months as I have changed Muay Thai class and there is no sparring untill they get insurance. I also take MMA classes and although we have done a lot of alive training (take downs, ground work, body sparring) we had not done any full out sparring with boxing gloves, this all changed on Friday.

I have done Muay Thai for way over a year and when I started sparring (after about 3 months) I loved doing it and got rid of some very nasty habbits (being overly agressive, sticking my chin out & over reaching punches).

I was confident that since I had last sparred my game had come on & I was better than ever. First guy I sparred with had not done a lot of striking (more BJJ) and even though we sparring at 50% after a minute he asked to body spar only (which I agreed to), he hardly landed a blow as my movement was good.

Then a sparred with a very good striker and even though we agree 75% the guy was throwing bombs at me and was going full out. After taking to huge headshots I got a bit pissed off, got over agressive taking it to him and he kept backing off while thowing excellent counter shots (he was hitting me 3 times to 1!). I started over reaching, didnt tuck my chin in & was getting dominated. Then I walked straight into big punch and felt a "pop" in my nose & knew what was coming next....a huge nose bleed that took 15 mins to stop! Think it might be broken as still hurts like hell, although my pride hurts worse as I know I looked a right cock trying to brawl rather than box....

I dont feel my time training in the last 6 months has been a waste as it has kept me fit & flexable BUT my fighting skills have got worse and it is just due to no sparring. My usual training partner has also suggested that the guy was also just plain better than me and a cock for going full out when we had agreed 75%.

I have now organised sparring sessions at my home with a couple of other guys from muay thai and have been assured by my instructor that we will be sparring again very soon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 10:03am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've noticed a lot of people sparring at some goofy percentage on these boards.

If he's not trying to break my soul, I don't want to bother. It's in those moments that real fighters are developed. You pet a puppy (which I do with real puppies), he'll lick you in the mouth, you beat that dog (which I dont), he'll tear you apart. Which do you want to be in the ring?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 12:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesai
    I've noticed a lot of people sparring at some goofy percentage on these boards.

If he's not trying to break my soul, I don't want to bother. It's in those moments that real fighters are developed. You pet a puppy (which I do with real puppies), he'll lick you in the mouth, you beat that dog (which I dont), he'll tear you apart. Which do you want to be in the ring?
    Know what your saying and I am more than happy to spar full out with people on/near the same level & weight, although I am reluctant to go all out with people a lot worse than me or a lot better.

Saying that I took a sound beating & learnt loads from it.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 1:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i hate light sparring. i can understand it with MMA gloves because cuts would develop easier making fighters possibly unfit to fight but with boxing gloves on you can't be prepared for the ring without knowing how to take a shot or having some idea of what your shots are capable of doing to the other guy

tbh you should just go to whatever level the other guy is doing in terms of force.. but obviously don't get drawn into a brawl, i suffer from that sometimes when a rangey fighter picks me off in boxing i tend to rush in, sometimes it works but more often than not they move and i stand there looking like a cock facing the wrong way

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 1:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMuayThaiMan
    Know what your saying and I am more than happy to spar full out with people on/near the same level & weight
    there may be some smaller guys who appreciate the courtesy but i personally think when big guys reckon they're doing me a favour by going light they're just taking the piss. especially seeing as on the few occasions when we have gone all out i'v put a couple of them on their arse.

you either learn to mix it with the bigger guys or you aren't prepared for a fight.

.. not that i have the napolean complex lol

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 2:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey
    there may be some smaller guys who appreciate the courtesy but i personally think when big guys reckon they're doing me a favour by going light they're just taking the piss. especially seeing as on the few occasions when we have gone all out i'v put a couple of them on their arse.

you either learn to mix it with the bigger guys or you aren't prepared for a fight.

.. not that i have the napolean complex lol
    Dont get me wrong I have sparred with a bloke who was 22 stone (im only 12) and have come off very well. But there are a few heavyweights at my small class that I have seen fight in comps that have destroyed people of there own weight and think if I went full out with them I would end up in hospital.

Im prepared for a fight but I know my limits.

Heel Hook Hunter

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 3:29pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Jiu Jitsu | Knife

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone in this thread is an idiot.

Now you may continue.

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 3:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If we're finished waving our cocks around, Muaythaiman you're obviously a bit rusty so it's understandable you wont be where you were when you were sparing regularly but that will change and it'll come back to you in time.

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 4:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Visualization. Do it all day. You will be surprised how it helps.

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 10:29am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you spar all out every session you are an idiot. Even professional fighters don't do that. You risk injury that can set back your training and not to mention brain damage.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast