Sponsored Links Spacer Image

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 9:08am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one with good vision can post on this thread until we hear from Stick or Blindfury.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 2:00pm

Style: Catch as Catch Can

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
    Either of these situations *could* be developed into an attribute depending on his skill set strengths. Is his build designed that he could be trained as an outside fighter or an inside fighter?
    This is true, its something i have talked to him about a lot. And he does want to be more of a unorthodox fighter, but he is not the most creative of a fighter, he has a hard time coming up with things on his own.

keeping his gloves up and picking off shorts with his gloves either crossed by his head or by his ears (we called it peek-a-boo and Dumbo Ears) might be good. I know you said "don't tell me give it time" but his understanding this basic fact is key:
    If they are close enough to hit you.....odds are you are close enough to hit them)
    Yeah we have been doing different drills of the sort. Only problem with the close enough to hit them is that he is a shorter dude. Just about everyone he fights has more reach than him. I think he is 5'8' and a pretty lean 170.

By the way i like the peek-a-boo - dumbo ears thing. thatís funny as hell lol.

[color=#cccccc]
    Quote Originally Posted by [/COLOR
    If you have a double-ended striking bag in your gym, set him up at the striking bag and get him set finding his range before taking him in the ring to work against an opponent.
    I do think more bag work could be a good thing as long as he constantly worked himself in and out of striking ranges.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 2:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=HappyOldGuy]What about getting something like these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTbWn17_8Bg
    quote]
    I showed him these and he loved the ideal of them. Anybody know where I can get them? Shoot me a link.

Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76
    If he gets frustrated with MT, recommend Judo or BJJ. Grappling relies on "feel" more than sight. He might excel at it.

Half of our training crew (including our blind fighter) have been taking classes under a cop who is belted under Gokor. The blind fighter like most of our crew is primarily a striker. Grappling is a harder for him (except for leg locks for some reason). We all realize that with him being a close in fighter, he must have a grappling game.

Speaking from experience:
    I wore sports goggles when playing soccer. I took a shot to the face and the lens came flying out....which split my eye open.
    That is exactly what we were worried about. Thanks for the warning.

AND WHERE OUR THE BLIND POSTERS?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 11:59pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have about 400 degrees on each eye and cant tell li guy and kempofist apart without glasses, in my first amateur fight i took a shot and punched him right back so i know where he is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 5:45am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi.

Fairly badly short-sighted dude here, I fight without my glasses most of the time and yes, depth perception is a bitch. What I find works for me is keeping the hands up high and the guard close and tight (crazy monkey), wait till I feel him before countering. Most of my more effective tricks are counters. Hope this helps.
    Fuzzy

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 7:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy
    What I find works for me is keeping the hands up high and the guard close and tight (crazy monkey), wait till I feel him before countering. Most of my more effective tricks are counters.
    ^^^^^^
    this.

I cannot belive I forgot this, thanks Fuzzy.

Counterpuncher.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 11:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MARCO!

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 2:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blisterstarr, is there anything preventing your friend from wearing contact lenses? I have RIDICULOUSLY awful near-sightedness (with an extra dash of astigmatism), so I have to wear contacts in order to participate in any sporting activity. I've never had them pop out during Muay Thai class, so they've never been a problem for me.

If your friend can wear 'em, tell him to get a prescription pronto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2008 10:42pm

Style: San shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey my vision is pretty bad without glasses, I get around it by keeping my lead arm further out than a typical stance, and throwing light kicks to help get inside. If you rely too much on shelling up, and keeping a super tight stance its easier for the other guy to come in. Sparring with taller fighters, or guys with better reach helped me as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2008 8:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Miracleman
    Blisterstarr, is there anything preventing your friend from wearing contact lenses? I have RIDICULOUSLY awful near-sightedness (with an extra dash of astigmatism), so I have to wear contacts in order to participate in any sporting activity. I've never had them pop out during Muay Thai class, so they've never been a problem for me.

If your friend can wear 'em, tell him to get a prescription pronto.

He is looking into it, and what I mean by that is when he was young he was told contact lenses would **** up his eyes if he wore them (by his eye doctor). Me and my girl friend was telling him how much contacts have changed and that he might be able to get a softer contact that will not mess with his eye. He is supposed to ask the eye doctor when he goes back. If his eyes are as sensitive as he says they are, im not sure that is a possibility.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast