Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 4:29pm

Style: Catch as Catch Can

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help Training a Blind Fighter

Ok so here is the deal. A guy in my training crew/club/group has bad vision. Hes fine with his glasses on, but when they come of he has a hard time telling how close things are, even causing him to throw out his elbow a few times when fighting. He is either way to far away or way too on top of you when boxing.

He is having a really hard time with this problem and it really seems to be getting him down. The rest of the members of the crew/club/group are trying hard to help him. So far it has been far from easy. Athletic glasses seem pointless and unpractical. They could possible break and cut his eyes in sparring. Plus he is not going to be wearing goggles on the street, so if he would happen to be attacked, his glasses wonít last long ether. Basically he he needs to correct this problem or learn to cope with the handicap.

Let me explain more
    Hes trained kung fu (the animal kind, mantis to be exact), and had about a year or so of Thai Boxing with me. He is still recovering from his old kung fu class that did sparring with no gear. How? You don't punch deep. So hitting people really really hard is only done for the first time on the deadly street.
    Well he managed to adjust his style fairly well, I would guess by "throwing him in to the fire" at our (crew's) version of a throwdown that are 60% to full contact fights that we throw 2 or 3 times a year. He is just inconsistent with his ability to close the distance but like I said earlier in the post, hes problem has created injuries and leaves him open for easy grappling/clinching because he is so close.

Now with all that said, I think that it is just something that "needs lots and lots of practice". So donít post that and think your the sweetest advise giver ever. My question is how, to go about training him to do so. I recently put together a few methods in hope to help him (itís to early at this point to see real results).

*Have him feel me out with jabs and then I put down my guard and have him punch past my head, to the back of my head (to simulate the depth needed). With his glasses on, then with out. With lots of repeating.

*Just have him stay in stance and have him work only slips while I throw punches. Starting at slow speeds and increasing the speed until he gets hit.

*Have him throw and combination on the focus mitts with his glasses on, then after a hand full time have him take them off.

He has a lot of potential, I think he could be bad ass if he can get through this. Hes didnít think he could get through it because his vision is so bad. So I told him about this video.
    YouTube - Sport Science - NHL Goaltender: Cat-Like Quickness?

So Friends, Romans, Country Men, lend me a hand on helping my friend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 11:54pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to disuade him from a dream and what not.

But I've heard some new clips of once highschool wrestlers, now blind, taking down muggers and detaining them until help could arrive.

Striking requires your eyes and complete awareness, the moment you loose that focus you're a target.

2 inches is huge when it comes to be just outside of it.

I'd have him wear those sport glasses, and spar with people who are good enough to not hit him in the face. If he has to defend himself in the world, he'll have his glasses on and atleast be able to strike and catch a few shots coming in.

Or just have him learn how to sprint and avoid conflicts all together.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 11:28am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a: where are our blind posters?

b: while i agree that he should practice without his glasses, he'll probably reach a given level of effectiveness without them faster if he can already reach that level with protective eyewear on.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 11:41am

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about getting something like these?

YouTube - Super Safe Head Guard - www.AlsGym.co.uk

I don't know if it would work or not, but it might be worth a shot.

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 11:58am

Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does Stick still post here? He'd be a good one to ask.....

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 12:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blisterstarr
    He is either way to far away or way too on top of you when boxing.
    Either of these situations *could* be developed into an attribute depending on his skillset stregnths. Is his build designed that he could be trained as an outside fighter or an inside fighter?

Let me explain more
    Hes trained kung fu (the animal kind, mantis to be exact), and had about a year or so of Thai Boxing with me. He is still recovering from his old kung fu class that did sparring with no gear. How? You don't punch deep. So hitting people really really hard is only done for the first time on the deadly street.
    Well he managed to adjust his style fairly well, I would guess by "throwing him in to the fire" at our (crew's) version of a throwdown that are 60% to full contact fights that we throw 2 or 3 times a year.
    Clarify with him that "don't punch deep" isn't the same as "throwing at a 3/4 extension". Not everyone explains or relays things the same so for him stating "we don't punch deep" might not mean the same as you understand it to be.

He is just inconsistent with his ability to close the distance but like I said earlier in the post, hes problem has created injuries and leaves him open for easy grappling/clinching because he is so close.

Teach him the all important hook to the ribs.
    Does you style allow knees to the thighs?
    What little tricks have you collected over the years that you can see would work for this student?
    Ask him what little tricks he learned in Kung-Fu for a close range situation and see if you can tool it up for him in thai boxing.

You can't teach him to see better, but you can teach him tricks to use which minimize his apparant shortcomings. This will build his confidence and make him want to stay.

That being said, I will claim some ignorance of your style, but getting your student used to keeping his gloves up and picking off shorts with his gloves either crossed by his head or by his ears (we called it peek-a-boo and Dumbo Ears) might be good. I know you said "don't tell me give it time" but his understanding this basic fact is key:
    If they are close enough to hit you.....odds are you are close enough to hit them)

If you have a double-ended striking bag in your gym, set him up at the striking bag and get him set finding his range before taking him in the ring to work against an opponent.

There was a thread about wearing glasses while training:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64097

AND another referencing contact lenses:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62308

another good reference would be BlindFury (his intro post):
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51682

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 11:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he's fine with glasses, why can't he just get prescription sports goggles made?

I knew one student who wore them...my memory is fuzzy, but I think some are very shatterproof and he wore them while fighting (like the lenses people use for shooting?). They look dorky, but it would beat fighting giant colored amoebas all the time.
    Last edited by maofas; 7/07/2008 11:35pm at .

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 11:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    What about getting something like these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTbWn17_8Bg

I don't know if it would work or not, but it might be worth a shot.
    You know, I used to think those were dumb, but I'm looking forward to finally getting my nose fixed so I can breath again and when that happens, I am so buying a space helmet and wearing it in anything past light sparring.

Actually, maybe I'll wear it everywhere I go, just in case. Until then, I'm sort-of hoping it'll get broken back the right way and save me some money, because my health care plan is sort-of ass.
    Last edited by maofas; 7/07/2008 11:43pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 11:46pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he gets frustrated with MT, recomend Judo or BJJ. Grappling relies on "feel" more than sight. He might excel at it.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 7:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas
    If he's fine with glasses, why can't he just get prescription sports goggles made?

I knew one student who wore them...my memory is fuzzy, but I think some are very shatterproof and he wore them while fighting (like the lenses people use for shooting?). They look dorky, but it would beat fighting giant colored amoebas all the time.
    Speaking from experience:

I wore sports goggles when playing soccer. I took a shot to the face and the lens came flying out....which split my eye open.

Sports goggles aren't unbreakable and odds are.....if someone attacks you on the street you won't be wearing sports googgles, your glasses will get knocked off and I don't think they are permitted in competition.

Better to learn dealing without them.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast