Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 6:44pm

Style: Confused variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GKR- Hollow money making crap. perhaps good for unfit people to get moving again and suitable for children. here is a thought though: Do we really want the majority of people, especially young people, to be learning effective combat skills? Children in martial arts ?
    In fact that could probably be a huge bullshido debate on its own? Does the spread of bullshido actually make society a safer place? Is it better to have false crap done by the majority and only an elite few doing truly dangerous and effective martial arts?
    Back to GKR, probably serves a purpose, and Im defintely jealous of those managers who have made millions from it, but if I was going to choose an art for my daughter to learn to protect herself as she grows up, they would be last on the list. theve taken some aspects of traditional japanese arts but without the fighting spirit, toughness and energy required for real world application. Totally pathetic.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 8:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Prissy soft contact ****. Basically the Amway of the martial arts world. Purely a money making franchise.
    GoKAn Ryu they are best avoided. Prissy soft contact ****. Basically the Amway of the martial arts world. Purely a money making franchise.
    Screw that...sign me up. I need the money.

And i don't like being hit.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 11:32am

Style: inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikijustuBrit
    Who'se your Shihan?

Rick Jones.
    Don't think I've ever heard of him so won't judge, but for me at least him being a bouncer doesn't mean much. Plenty of MA bouncers teaching utter crap, And Aikijutsu really isn't very credible for self defense IMO anyway, "Aiki" is an obstacle to effectiveness, but I guess that's a different story.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 11:50am

Style: Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    here is a thought though: Do we really want the majority of people, especially young people, to be learning effective combat skills? Children in martial arts ?
    In fact that could probably be a huge bullshido debate on its own? Does the spread of bullshido actually make society a safer place? Is it better to have false crap done by the majority and only an elite few doing truly dangerous and effective martial arts?
    Teaching ineffective martial arts to children is as dangerous as teaching it to an adult. if not more so. Where an adult might use his common sense and just leg it, a child with a false sense of confidence might just stand his ground, and reverse punch KIAI his way all the way to A and E.
    If a child wants to learn a martial art, and his or her parents are ok with it, it is ALWAYS better for them to do so surrounded by sincere, exsperianced inderviduals more interested in thier development as a martial artists than some greedy bastard taking thier money and preaching about "character development".

Yes, kids should learn how to take care of themselves, and like the rest of socioty should be able to do so without worrying about crap like GKR.
    Last edited by Hidden Ronin; 7/06/2008 11:53am at .

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikijustuBrit
    Aikijustu - tut,tut - a simple spelling error; or maybe I am lysdexic?

Do I leave it or register again?

As for aikijutsu being crap in the UK, I can only say that I don't believe my school is **** as it is taught by a shihan who has spent 30 years 'on the doors' and on a couple of occasions when I have had to use it, it worked well enough

Thanks for the link!
    I can correct your name if you want.

Also the "works for me" line isn't one I'm a fan of. Why? Because I hear it A LOT and it mainly results in the guy getting mauled and not being able to do ****. "Works for me", to me, should mean that you should be able to put of a decent fight against pple from outside your school. If you get mauled then is not working for you. (By mauled I mean your are being manhandled without causing the other person any worries)
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 7:42pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere
    I can correct your name if you want.

Also the "works for me" line isn't one I'm a fan of. Why? Because I hear it A LOT and it mainly results in the guy getting mauled and not being able to do ****. "Works for me", to me, should mean that you should be able to put of a decent fight against pple from outside your school. If you get mauled then is not working for you. (By mauled I mean your are being manhandled without causing the other person any worries)
    QFT right there, quite possibly the best response to that statement if ever I heard one.

I suppose one can say "it works for me" if you have effectively used it against other styles / people. Not sure if that's the case here.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 9:24pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will create a blank and fill it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere
    Also the "works for me" line isn't one I'm a fan of. Why?
    Because it completely fails to isolate the 'style' variable. It may have "worked for you" because
    • you were bigger than the other guy
    • you were stronger or tougher than the other guy
    • you had friends along, the other guy didn't
    • you were sober, the other guy was staggering drunk
    • you've been lucky -- so far
    • you have a knack for fighting, or a background in other arts, that serves you quite regardless (perhaps even in spite of) the art that "works for you"
    • the other guy was a Chunner/just plain sucked

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 1:25am

Style: Confused variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Ronin
    Teaching ineffective martial arts to children is as dangerous as teaching it to an adult. if not more so. Where an adult might use his common sense and just leg it, a child with a false sense of confidence might just stand his ground, and reverse punch KIAI his way all the way to A and E.
    If a child wants to learn a martial art, and his or her parents are ok with it, it is ALWAYS better for them to do so surrounded by sincere, exsperianced inderviduals more interested in thier development as a martial artists than some greedy bastard taking thier money and preaching about "character development".

Yes, kids should learn how to take care of themselves, and like the rest of socioty should be able to do so without worrying about crap like GKR.
    I absolutely agree with you, and you worded it so well. So I can gain from this crazy website afterall. Its very hard to find such quality instruction. I know, Im a parent.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 2:57am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to reiterate what's been said, Gokanru (at least in the Aus) is a pyramid schemish scam. I have a friend who was an instructor, who was paid on a basis of how many memberships he gained, and who earned more flipping Burgers. Practically no sparring (he said they did it at the higher levels, but I think he said they mostly didn't bother), thus silly techs, completely and exclusively moneymaking enterprise for the guy at the top of the pyramid. Stay the **** away.

To top it all off, if you quit, they make you hand in your rank.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Posted On:
    7/07/2008 3:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter
    [LIST][*]you were bigger than the other guy[*]you were sober, the other guy was staggering drunk[*]you've been lucky -- so far
    These are the three factors that have pretty much won all of my fights so far
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast