Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Style
    Lau Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shmuel
    Is it possible that Yau did learn SOME kind of style in China, but that it wasn't the famous Lau Gar?
    Of course it is. Anything is possible, it's what is probable and provable that counts.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, is it probable?

The way I see it, if he's not teaching THE proper Lau Gar, there must be 3 possibilities.

1) He learned a genuine kung fu style in China called Lau Gar, only it wasn't the famous Lau Gar.

2) He learned some kung fu in China, but it wasn't called Lau Gar there and he came up with the name himself, figuring that no-one would be the wiser.

3) He invented the style and the name himself.

Style
    Lau Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    or
    4) He learned *some* lau gar, and then added a mish-mash of other styles (wing chun and SPM) to flesh out the syllabus.

The thing is, IF it's all made up, it's going to be nigh-on impossible to prove. I think the main point is that he claims a lineage with no evidence to support it.

Style
    MMA/Kung Fu/Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Dave, there wouldn't be an issue if he admitted it was essentially invented by himself, however he claims a lineage and appears to have brainwashed hundreds/thousands of people into thinking that too, people joining up to the association and paying money out to be part of a potentially fake lineage.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the lineage is fake, perhaps the person who made it up and lied was the guy Lau learned from in China.

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If there isn't a reasonable explanation for this, that is. Could this work as contact information? Alternately, do any of the UK members feel like dropping by one of Jeremy Yau's gym with a list of a few polite questions?

Style
    Lau Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shmuel
    If the lineage is fake, perhaps the person who made it up and lied was the guy Lau learned from in China.
    That would be his grandfather.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    If there isn't a reasonable explanation for this, that is. Could this work as contact information? Alternately, do any of the UK members feel like dropping by one of Jeremy Yau's gym with a list of a few polite questions?
    Those contact details are for just one of the BKFA clubs. Imagine it like a franchise...
    Anyway, been there - done that. The response is always "Master Yau learnt it from his grandfather, and back in the old days you never questioned this. We believe he is the real deal".
    Seriously, search on Martial Arts Planet for posts by "lauguardian" there are all sorts of threads there about it. He is the person who's club you mention above.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTart

and back in the old days you never questioned this..
    Not directed at you.

This is the biggest bullshit statement to ever exist in the world of Martial Arts. Fuckers who say this really need to research.

If this was true, then why did you need introduction letters to train with specific Masters back in the day?

Why did they have lineage charts to keep track of who taught what (go look at Chen village)?

Why did Masters enter fight comps listing their lineage publicly?

Why would they accept challenge matches then, accept these people as students?

This excuse became available when, MA became a primary source of income. Oh don't fool yourselves, they defrauded themselves before they came to America. So, it isn't just the Americans fault.

We just made it worse.

/rant.

Style
    Lau Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Not directed at you.
    I know!!
    The "back in the old days you never questioned" thing is what Master Yau has said apparently.

Jeremy Yau Interview:
    Lau Gar - Jeremy Yau interview - Kung Fu Magazine Forums

Lau Gar Lineage Article:
    Lau Gar History - Kung Fu Magazine Forums
    (NB this doesn't square with what the BKFA claim the lineage is)
    Last edited by DaveTart; 7/26/2008 10:07am at .

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sums up my feeling on the whole crap.

Only people that have something to hide (poor training/fake history) use the "unquestionable" reason.

I've read to many books plus interviews, while researching my own crap lineage, that I know this is a lie.

Legit teachers are never offended by questions about their background.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last