Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is Jeremy Yau's Lau Gar genuine or made up?

Jeremy Yau of the BKFA claims to be teaching Lau Gar. The history on the BKFA website states that he learned this style in China and brought it to the west.
    http://www.laugar-kungfu.com/laugar.asp

On the other hand, this style seemingly cannot be traced back to China. And experts say that it bears no resemblance to the Lau Gar which is incorporated into Hung Gar.

An interview with Bey Logan states that Jeremy Yau invented the style himself:

http://www.sogoodreviews.com/special...w_beylogan.htm
    "I started off with a system called Lau Gar, a kind of chop suey Southern style invented by a man named Jeremy Yau."

So what's the truth?

Is it real or made up?

Style
    KARATE / MUAY THAI
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    theres a fair few threads on this subject posted over at martial arts planet. might be a good place to start reading...

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is probably going back to the CMA forum thread. Shmuel here is a template from another poster.

Try and make it fit into these paramaters
    Name of the accused:
    Name of the accuser:

Numbered list of fraudulent claims:
    Links to where the individual has made such claims: e.g. website, book and ISBN, video

List of reasons why the claims being made are fraudulent:
    Evidence supporting the accusations of fraud: again website, book and ISBN, video, scanned certificate images

<Or alternatively at this point>

List of evidence the accused could produce to dismiss the accusations:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's not a bad template. I believe I've already given a link to a website with the *possibly* fraudulent claims.

What would be evidence to support the accusations of fraud? Would the fact that no-one in China *seems* to know this style actually count as evidence?

Style
    MMA/Kung Fu/Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thing is with a fair few styles of kung fu that it's all anecdotal stuff passed down over the years. The fact it apparently came from "Three eyed Lau" for a start. There is a form called Baat Pye Jurn (Palm of the Baat pye mountains) which don't appear to exist. Other things such as that. Master Yau must have learned "a" style of Kung Fu when in China, but it's how that relates to what he teaches now on the syllabus that is the issue with most people.
    It's basically the stuff on the BKFA that tells the story of Lau Gar and that it is sold as an authentic Family style originating from China that appears to be the issue.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shmuel
    That's not a bad template. I believe I've already given a link to a website with the *possibly* fraudulent claims.

What would be evidence to support the accusations of fraud? Would the fact that no-one in China *seems* to know this style actually count as evidence?
    You need to list exactly what you are claiming is fraudulent, his claims, his history, his certs, his style etc etc etc.

Also, you said experts, which is plural cite all of these experts.

Style
    Lau Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have all sorts of bits and bobs about lau gar, if i ever get them in some sort of order - i'll post them up. Sadly though, like Su Lin says - it's all anecdotal.

However, it's all very well saying "have you got proof of the fraud" but the burden of evidence is on Jeremy Yau to prove his lineage, not for us to disprove it. At the end of the day he is making a claim, and there is zero evidence other than his word for it.

The most damning thing so far is that there are several clips on youtube of Xiao Yong Ding (Siu Wing Ding in Cantonese) who is the recognised master of Lau Gar in china. It looks NOTHING like the UK lau gar.

YouTube - Lau Gar - Open hand form
    YouTube - Lau Gar, 5 animals form (Ng Ying Luen)
    YouTube - Lau Gar: Nine-ring sabre form
    Last edited by DaveTart; 7/11/2008 5:39pm at .

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should be able to fill in at least the first three sections of the template, given that you've already provided some of the requested information. A bit of reformatting work shouldn't take too long, and it gives you an opportunity to organize and tighten up the claims. It'd make it a lot easier for someone who isn't knowledgeable about Lau Gar (like, say, me) to follow.

Have you contacted Jeremy Yau about this yet?

Aside: Check your last post for broken links.

Style
    Lau Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Info on the mainland guy is here:

news article on him here: http://www.nanfangdaily.com.cn/south...0411250987.asp

Apparently part of it says " Xiao Yong Ding (Siu Wing Ding) was already teaching Lau Gar in Zongshan in 1955.
    At the 1978 Guangzhou Southern Fist exhibition and exchange meeting, the judges were worried about the disappearance of Lau Gar, when a performer from Zongshan appeared and showed a Lau Gar fist set. They followed this performer back to Zongshan where they found Xiao Yong Ding."

As for talking to him directly, I don't believe anyone has. I've had (internet) discussions with a couple of the "Lau Gar Guardians" (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lau_Gar) and the consensus seemed to be that they believe he is the real deal - therefore he is.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it possible that Yau did learn SOME kind of style in China, but that it wasn't the famous Lau Gar?

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last