Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 7:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Better balance through stronger legs?

Hi all,

When I give a series of punches, I lately feel that the strikes themselves are well,
    but that my footwork/balance is crappy.
    I have been told that I can compsensate this "lean over"-effect
    by training the muscles of my legs. Can anyone please point me
    to what workout I should try?

Thank you,

Rafe

(EDIT: I realize this might well go to strikeistan.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 7:35am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Squats.
    More.
    Squats.

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 8:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think your core muscles have more to do with your balance than your legs.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 8:21am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, core stregth and coordination. And coordination is a matter of training specifically for that (in addition to strength training IF needed.)

TIS, who told you that you needed to work your legs to improve your balance? What does your coach says on this subject?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 9:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you all for the quick replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    TIS, who told you that you needed to work your legs to improve your balance? What does your coach says on this subject?
    I had this problem already a few years ago, when I was still in KB. My trainer then told me to do leg workout, and things got better, but very slowly.

Now in WT, my current coach told me to simply keep doing the exercises, and that that would better my balance with the time.

However, even following that, I'd like to do something extra. I am a rather small man, so that means that I need to train as double as hard as the rest. :)

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 11:01am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by This is Sparta!
    I am a rather small man, so that means that I need to train as double as hard as the rest. :)
    Bull-snit!

You shouldn't need to train twice as hard...you need to train twice as SMART.

Depending on what you train in (WT = Wing Tsun? ASK = American Shaolin Kenpo?), you should be given direction on what kind of game plan you need to develop for your body type.

Don't believe this bullshit about "Tall people will rule in Kickboxing, short people rule in grappling, etc..." You (and your trainer) need to make the system work for you.

If the system forces you, as a small guy, to train twice as hard...then you need a new system.

[/rant]

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 5:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :-) Thank you. I guess that is what I meant.
    As an usual lightweight fighter, I almost always encounter sparring partners that are bigger or naturally stronger than I. If they have equal technical skills, it all comes to be quicker and to punch harder for me. For that, I train.:bully:

ASK = All Style Karate; name my kickboxing trainer used for his system. Not sure what the differences to regular KB are. Same product, different packaging, I guess...:5propelle