Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 3:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How to incorporate weight lifting into MMA schedule or vice versa

After some time of inactivity, I don't know how but I ended up with both a year of subscription to a gym and a sub to MMA class. The class is two days a week. I'm planning to start lightly on getting some weight lifting done to increase my strength.

But I'm concerned about overtraining and I might be more prune to injury with 5 days-a-week training. Even though one of the days at the gym will be mostly for light work and sauna etc.

Any ideas generally what I should be careful about? Also would vitamins and a protein shakes for hard workout days be enough to sustain me in addition to a balanced diet ? Or will I have to survive on supplements?

And about the schedule... MMA class is on Monday and Wednesday at the moment. So I'm thinking a light workout on Tuesday, and relatively heavy workouts on Thursday and Saturday. But that leaves me with 4 consecutive days of training. And the alternative is Friday and Saturday... and that's two consecutive days of heavy training :\

As you can see, I'm a bit confused. I could use some advice on this. Or at least knowing how others juggle both weight training and MMA or BJJ class would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 4:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alternating between the two, every other day, would be the easiest. But it compromises the MMA training, which can be done daily. What are some of the training schedules/routines used by the pros?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 8:29am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't use a training schedule and routine used by the pros as a general template. They had conditioned their bodies for that kind of regular, daily training in addition that this is their primary activity (in constrast to MMA fighters that have to have a job, or hobbyists.)

Jimmy, don't bother with a light workout on Tuesday. Either make it hard, or use it for rest.

Given that you do MMA mondays and wednesdays, you can choose either of the following days for weight training (the goal is to avoid two consecutive days of resting; make your rest days non-consecutive whenever possible.)

Thursdays and Saturdays (both hard) <<< this is the best option IMO.

Tuesday (Tuesdays being strictly no more than 40 minutes) and Fridays

Fridays and Sundays (Sundays being strictly no more than 40 minutes).

Other options are to use 20-25 minute workouts mondays, tuesdays and wednesdays, with a big lift day on Friday or Saturday. What counts is not just length of the workout but intensity.

Aim to make it intense (provided you are in good health at the time of doing the workout), otherwise don't (for it would be a waste of time.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 8:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, remember, I'm assuming your MMA training is your focus, so weight training would be facilitate or improve your physical fitness for MMA. If you find your ability to train MMA decreasing, then tune down your weight training until your conditioning improves.

Also, don't bother with additional cardio unless you are getting ready for a fight or grappling comp. Roll hard in the MMA classes; that'd be your cardio.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 9:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a lot for the advice, el Macho. Thursdays and saturdays look like the best option. But it'll probably take some time to reach the place I can train hard without suffering at the MMA classes. At the moment I'm lacking some strength and conditioning.

This leads me to the next question... the actual weight lifting routine. The trainer at the gym put together a routine mainly with machines.When I asked, his answer was that they usually start beginners with machines and after a month or so they switch to free weights. Does that make any sense?

To my untrained eyes, he seems like an ok trainer. But he's practically clueless about martial arts. His first answer to MMA was "Whut?" and after explaining a little he managed mistake MT with TaeBo , heh. :p

Anyway, I guess I could always ask the MMA trainer for a simple routine but at what point , getting your own routine from outside the gym wouldn't be considered as rude?

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 1:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See my signature and check the links I recommend for people new to weight training.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2008 10:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a graduate student and have had a pro mma fight. I'm training for more fights but not aggressively pursuing them as I can only train part time.

I train MMA on tues/thurs, jiujitsu on fri/sat, kickboxing on fri and weights mon/wed.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 11:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mon
    Tue
    Wed
    Thur
    Fri
    Sat
    Sun

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackers
    Mon
    Tue
    Wed
    Thur
    Fri
    Sat
    Sun
    I'm very proud of you.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 11:18am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mon ...... Weights
    Tue ........ MMA
    Wed ...... Weights
    Thur ....... MMA
    Fri ......... Kickboxing, Jiu Jitsu
    Sat ...........................Jiu Jitsu
    Sun ...... Rest
    Last edited by Crackers; 7/06/2008 11:20am at .
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast